New Project - 68 Double Cab

56Hotrod

Postby 56Hotrod » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks Franz, I'll do that. And checking today, I know why I made the wheel size mistake, my fronts are 14" wheels, and the rears are 15" smoothies.

Not sure what I'm going to do with these. I had changed my mind to using the stock steel wheels, but now, I'm back to the decision block.
56 Oval Project

68 Bay DC Project

2012 Paxton Supercharged Mustang

http://www.steven-laura.net/Steven/

Franz

Postby Franz » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:57 am

Put a full set of 15" bus wheels on it. The rear suspension is super-wide, and the offset of the stock wheel is the best for it.

56Hotrod

Postby 56Hotrod » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:00 pm

Ok,
I'm looking for advice here.

I started working the rear subfloor of the bus. The previous owner, had replaced the floor with thick, flat sheet metal and welded it in a few areas on the sides. But the floor where the gas tank sits, is still corrugated and patched with donor corner pieces with Bondo ](*,)

Not to mention, his floor has up to 1/2" gaps to the frame cross members in places.

So, originally he left 1-2 inches of the rusted corrugated metal for this flat floor to sit on, but how would this seal from water? So I cut the corrugated metal as flush as I could with the areas where the panels seal the gas tank area from the rear seating area.

I then started to grind away the Bondo (what a mess). I made new pieces to span the lower portion of where these panels seperate the gas tank area to the seating area.
But I still have to figure out how to bridge the gap between the F'd up corrugated area under the gas tank to his flat floor ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Looking for options. Honestly, if I could find complete flooring, I'd plasma out his floor and start fresh. I can't seen to find truck flooring sections other than the outer 11 - 15 inch sections.

Anybody know of anyone selling flooring sections? What about the area under the gas tank?

Pics:

56 Oval Project

68 Bay DC Project

el arod

Postby el arod » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:47 am

might want to give GERSON @ KLASSIC FAB a call. he is making some baywindow metal too.
alex
"Trailer?" "Those are for boats!"

Franz

Postby Franz » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:29 am

Yeah, or find someone cutting up a bay on samba.

56Hotrod

Postby 56Hotrod » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:58 pm

I've got a line on a 74 part out bus I'm going to look at this weekend. I hope the rib widths match.
56 Oval Project

68 Bay DC Project

56Hotrod

Question on eBrake cables

Postby 56Hotrod » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Some good progress made - started bridging the gap between the gas tank area and the flat rear floor. About 1/2 done there.

I've got the rear brakes built and installed. The only thing left to do is run hard lines to from the flex to the rear backing plates, and the one hard line all the way to the front. I had to cut out the old eBrake cable tubes and build new ones - everything is sorta peachy there.

My question is, how do these cables route around the front beam? The passenger side looks to be no problem. The driver side, touches the center link arm and I'm afraid it would grab or engage the driver rear brake when steering left.

???

Pic:

Other pics:

56 Oval Project

68 Bay DC Project

56Hotrod

Postby 56Hotrod » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:21 pm

Well, hit another milestone. Truck is on the trailer. Driving it to my Pops in Tennessee tomorrow for paint. Got a ton of stuff done over the last 2 weeks. Pretty much completed POR15'ing the underside. I will just have the to complete aft of the rear bulkhead. Welded up the crazy tail light holes from the previous owner and made stock taillight holes/mounts. Brakes are done. I slotted, notched the spring plates and re-routed the e-brake cables.

Going with 2008 Corvette Atomic Orange Metallic on the bottom and white up top. Pops has wheels painted and restored the gas-tank. While the truck is away, I'm going to clean the garage and start building the motor.

56 Oval Project

68 Bay DC Project

DaKine

Postby DaKine » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:25 am

very nice...look forward to seeing all sprayed up. I think the two tone wheels are gonna look noice =D>

just saw this on a featured ad...gonna be biting on your style

-Jon

Señor Ryan D wrote:I MAKE YOGART TO THIS!!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/16806035

56Hotrod

Postby 56Hotrod » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:18 pm

Wow, that is close...My bumpers are white, and I'm currently sporting the 2 tone smoothies (probably gonna porta-wall them like Jobe's 59)...Plus, i get bones for it being a truck :)
56 Oval Project

68 Bay DC Project

56Hotrod

Postby 56Hotrod » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Tons of work done. Pops is killing it on the paint. And I've ordered the last few parts I need to finish up the motor. Going with a Berg 30mm full flow pump, chromoly push rods, CB race tubes, all AN fittings for the oil lines. I drilled and tapped the case this weekend for full flow and it turned out great.

Here are some pictures from the last month:

Dropping the truck off at my pops garage.

Used a third brake light/bed light from a 99 F250:

Made a cover for the inside since the bulb holders and wiring harness was too deep to miss the inside sheet metal:

More paint work:

And the tapping for full flow:
Still got to do a little deburring, and cleaning, but pressurizing the galley with 60psi from the oil pressure sending unit port worked great. Blew 90% of the chips straight out the port. Going to clean with some pipe cleaner and it should be good.
56 Oval Project

68 Bay DC Project

Franz

Postby Franz » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:31 am

Looking really good man!

ramzrod

Postby ramzrod » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:53 am

=D> Nice to see people move away from the common stock colors.
Ramsey
|o\®/o|

ecvwfan

Postby ecvwfan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:17 am

56Hotrod wrote:Wow, that is close...My bumpers are white, and I'm currently sporting the 2 tone smoothies (probably gonna porta-wall them like Jobe's 59)...Plus, i get bones for it being a truck :)

Contact Diamond Back tires. They can add a true whitewall to any tire uou want. Just a thought.

Beetjunky

Postby Beetjunky » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:59 am

So what was the problem with running 15s in the back and 14s on the front? I am doing that right now. Not really but choice but was thinking about keeping it.

56Hotrod wrote:Thanks Franz, I'll do that. And checking today, I know why I made the wheel size mistake, my fronts are 14" wheels, and the rears are 15" smoothies.

Not sure what I'm going to do with these. I had changed my mind to using the stock steel wheels, but now, I'm back to the decision block.

Return to “Baywindow Central”