Making lots of progress (for the 1-2 hours I get in the garage at night after the kids go to bed).
Engine installed in test stand and wired up. At first, she would barely turn over, so I bought a new battery. Still barely turning over, and I got a cheap china starter from Advance (and it smoked in 5 minutes). I put the old starter back in, took out the plugs, and she turned over beautifully. So, I sleep on it. Then it came to me in a vision, and I felt incredibly stupid. I had double/triple checked the distributor drive gear upon putting the motor together, but I second guessed myself a month later when everything was together. Pulley at TDC and the rotor was pointing to number 3...so I thought, well, maybe I installed it 180 off. So I wired it making that assumption (#1 cylinder where #3 would normally fire). The vision reminded me that the cam turns at 1/2 the engine speed and thus TDC is also the TDC of the exhaust stroke on #1. I was like, DAMN IT, rookie mistake.
Went out the next morning, wired it up normal, and what would you know, fired on the first revolution. I still have have to break it in, and adjust the carbs, but she idles marvelously.
Only issue I have, is the POS EMPI remote filter housing. The IN and OUT ports leaked pretty bad, so I tightened them, and they still leak. I took it off, cleaned it, and put a good bead of permetex on the threads, and let it sit for 24 hours...still leaking. These are with aluminum fittings, and I think they are just not soft enough to get a good seal, so today, I ordered some brass ones. If that fails, I guess I will look at a different filter housing.
Also, I got all the wiring accounted for and checked out. What a mess to figure out who knows how many previous owners have wired up stuff...but after a week, all is accounted for, AND all wiring is color coded correctly too.
Going to clean up/ tiddy the wiring, tonight. Also need to install the shifter rod and shifter...do a little POR15 in the rear and the motor will be ready to go in.