New Project - 68 Double Cab

56Hotrod

Postby 56Hotrod » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:45 pm

Absolutely

Prep work (removal, pressure washing, welding temp supports) 2.5 hrs
Plasma cutting shock towers 1.5 hrs
Grinding plasma cuts smooth 4.5 hrs (PITA)
Removing needle bearings 0.5 hrs
Cutting beam 2 hrs (would be better with better equipment)
Grinding down center blocks 1.5 hrs
Fixturing beam for welding 1.5 hrs
Welding beam halves 1 hr
Sanding complete beam 1 hr
Drilling / slotting adjuster holes 1.5 hrs
TIG welding adjuster splines 1 hr
Fitting beam / end plates - centering on truck 1.5 hrs
Welding end plates / gussets / center pin housing 3 hrs
Painting 1 hr
Misc time thinking, researching, measuring, drinking beer 6.5 hrs

So, about 30 hrs for a first timer in a cramped garage. Sounds about right to me.
56 Oval Project

68 Bay DC Project

2012 Paxton Supercharged Mustang

http://www.steven-laura.net/Steven/

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Oh what fun though, and you will never forget it.
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

type2volkswagen

Postby type2volkswagen » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:33 pm

dont want to hijack the thread....but does anyone know where i can download buselecta?

Franz

Postby Franz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:21 am

56Hotrod wrote:And this is where I'm at - which is bound to change a few times. I want to go with the original tan/black interior upholstry, and not sure how well that would look with the blue, so I'm toying with a copperish bottom:

Thoughts?

Either way will look good.

56Hotrod

Postby 56Hotrod » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:54 pm

type2volkswagen wrote:dont want to hijack the thread....but does anyone know where i can download buselecta?

Its just a flash website:
http://www.busselecta.com/bus/
56 Oval Project

68 Bay DC Project

el arod

Postby el arod » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:01 am

here is the link for the crew door pop-out window incase you don't like the OG set up
http://www.wolfgangint.com/Parts/Popout ... ks/Type+2/
alex
"Trailer?" "Those are for boats!"

56Hotrod

Postby 56Hotrod » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:29 am

arod,
MAN, thanks! I was just thinking about this the other day and was going to ask. I take it, this kit includes the fram, window, seals and latch (do you know)?

Definitely nicer than the OG setup.
56 Oval Project

68 Bay DC Project

el arod

Postby el arod » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:55 am

56Hotrod wrote:arod,
MAN, thanks! I was just thinking about this the other day and was going to ask. I take it, this kit includes the fram, window, seals and latch (do you know)?

Definitely nicer than the OG setup.

i dont remember if it came with the latch? just call 'em up and see!
alex

"Trailer?" "Those are for boats!"

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:12 am

Thats sweet conversion. I assume its the same as a splittie pop-out?

56Hotrod

Postby 56Hotrod » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:15 pm

Ok, I'm scratching my head and need help ](*,)
I've got to get over the hump of fixing the undercab rust. I almost don't know where to start. Here's a list of my head scratchings:

1. I bought a WW front crossmember. Quality looking piece, but when I look to start working it in, it looks to be 1.5 inches to short. One tag on it says 69-72 transporter, and the WW tag says 68-72. I'm finding it hard to beleive my frame is that different. I know I can just fab it in, but I'm still questioning it. This WW piece has the 3 large holes (of which, I don't know what 2 of them are for other than the middle one).

2. All these damn cables / tubes. Those f'ers are all in my way of fixing rust. I probably should just hack them out, but then I may question how to get some back in. How do you guys deal with the tubes going through the frames when doing restoration work? I haven't seen replacements anywhere online, but could probably just buy standard tubing and fab it in. Thus, should I just hack away?

If I can get past these two, I can start making progress. I've been under the truck for several hours, just staring.

On a good note, I got new front brake cylinders and sent my spindles out today to Nate at wagenswest for dropped spindles (yay \:D/ )
56 Oval Project

68 Bay DC Project

Franz

Postby Franz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:37 am

We've never done any real baywindow rust reapair....(I thought those things were still covered under warranty? Smile) But I have seen that Klassic Fab is making correct repair pieces. I would guess that the stuff avalible through most suppliers is that shitty orange stuff that kind fits, but is not anything like what you took you.

The cable tubes...yeah, you can get some stainless hardline to replace them with. Try not to hack them out if you don't have to. It seems like baywindow have extra cables for heater control stuff.....if you're not putting the heater back in cut that stuff out an forget about it.

56Hotrod

Postby 56Hotrod » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Lots of progress done and doing this week. But before I start, does anyone have a reamer for the center pin bushings I could borrow? I got a kit to fix up mine, and have the new bushings installed. The new pin is 0.944" diameter. I've read that a 24mm reamer is what I need.

So, on to the progress. 4" narrowed beam is done and I have the dropped spindles installed (not torqued). Backing plates are cleaned up and installed with new brake cylinders. Front drums are turned. I'm in the progress of bending up the brake lines between the brake cylinders and didn't like the way I did it, so I'm going to do it over with new lines. Tomorrow, I get new shoes and that's about all I need to finish up the front beam (other than a reamer).

I did get new ball joint boots, and those f'ers are a pain to install. So far, I just installed one that looked worst, and it had to go over the eccentric nut (as I'm not taking those off). The clips holding those things on are a pain.

Under the cab, I've got all but one area patched (passenger frame side). I have a new WW front cross member fitted up, but it is about 1" short on each side to the frame (strange). I'm going to just gusset it up to the frame front and rear, and tie it in for additional strength. There is a little more rust removal before POR15'ing the whole undercab area. After all this, I can install the front beam and start working brake lines into my new master cylinder. Get the wheels back on and see how she's going to sit. Then its on to the rear.

So, anyone have a reamer I could borrow (obviously, I'd pay all the shipping stuff).
56 Oval Project

68 Bay DC Project

VWsArent4Hippies

Postby VWsArent4Hippies » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:44 pm

You don't ream balljoint center pin bushings.

56Hotrod

Postby 56Hotrod » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:59 pm

THANKS VWsArent4Hippies!
I had been wading through a bunch of forum detail - and guess I had fixated on the splits. The edges of the bushings were just limiting the pin from driving them in. Cleaned up and installed! Yay.
Got some new brake lines to fix my flub between the cylinders and front shoes. I believe I can finish up the beam now. Yay.
56 Oval Project

68 Bay DC Project

56Hotrod

Postby 56Hotrod » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:52 pm

Beam is pretty much done. Although I'm going to redo - AGAIN - the driver side brake line between the cylinders. It went in well, but protrudes a tad too much around the top one and hits the brake shoe...no biggie. The swing lever is installed. It is damn tight, but turns. I think once I pack grease through it and give it a few cycles it will be perfect.

In preperation for beam install, I've almost completed the rust repair in the cab area where the beam goes. I cleaned and POR15'd the area, and it turned out great. Once this coat dries, I can weld up the patch on the passenger side frame and finish POR15'ing those. Then, its onto beam install.

I also ordered up tie rods w/ ends from the KCW crew - Thanks fellas. Oh and John, thanks bro for the talk this morning. When you said, "Are you building a show truck?"..."Then don't fucking worry about it." That hit home really good. Most of the time, I get into peeling the onion, and probably overdo it to a point that extends to project well beyond what my real plan is - which is to get this truck going. You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for re-aligning me.

Pics:

and the undercab - Before:

and After:
56 Oval Project

68 Bay DC Project

Return to “Baywindow Central”