Topless 55

jb

Topless 55

Postby jb » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:04 pm

So after what felt like a million years we collected our latest acquisition yesterday \:D/
We bought this one a couple months ago from Winnipeg Manitoba, had to wait for the snow to melt then it got picked up and sat at the shippers for over a month (was super sketched about spendy parts growing legs ](*,) )
Instead of doing the smart thing and having it shipped over to the island I had this hairbrain idea to flat tow it home with gregs bus while we were over for the first show of the season :-"
Well we made it home in one piece....barely :-#

Gentlemen I introduce triplejs April 55 ribbed door semaphore vert \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

She's had a rough go with some super awesome farmer repairs :-& :-& but it's all there with all the uber spendy hard to find early parts and is a really rare color combo....dolmite with a brown top, apparently there is only one other surviving car known about that's dolmite and its a RHD with very very little OG paint left on it.
Plan is to yank it apart, fix all the gas welded goodness, paint strip it back to OG and put it on the road with those bias ply whites that we had on Petes Ghia. 36 horse with a WW okrassa kit that Johnny has stashed away.

I'll get some proper pictures in the next couple days....there was talk about diving in tonight but we pooched....was a pretty good booze fest of a weekend, somebody snapped this shot of the ferry ride nap session.....Jrod passed out in the vert and me in Matts 57 SC, size 15's out the window.

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Re: Topless 55

Postby rustabus » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:13 pm

Very Worthy Project!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> You gonna dig in right away or does the Barndoor drive first!??? :-k :-k Smile

russ scott

Postby russ scott » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:31 pm

it's a killer project
awesome score won't lie it's a dream car for me
super jealous
i can't wait progress pics

Twigman

Postby Twigman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:53 pm

Nice project. What is it about the 55's that turns your crank so much?
And What is it about those f-ing ferries that magnifies a hangover. Lol

OGPaint

Postby OGPaint » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:47 am

It's cool to finally have some pics of this one and that it made it to you guys with all of her sexy bits still in place. I think your hairbrained idea of flat towing it and ferrying it home will just add to a great story when she's all done.

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:50 am

Hell yeah.

68tintop

Postby 68tintop » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:33 am

Sweet little show cruise. Gotta love it. 55 damm \:D/ :-& looks good for Canada

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:20 am

Awesome! Love me a 55!! Especially a vert. Top goes down, price goes up!
Justin

Franz wrote:Fine, I'll fucking change it.

russ scott

Postby russ scott » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:09 am

looking around last night, that is such a unique color I can't even find any good pictures of it
it's so killer

jb

Postby jb » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:47 am

It sure is!! Back then it wasn't a very big seller I take it? Late 54/early55 only color that's metallic light purplish sorta silvery in some lights and a brown top :-k odd but cool at same time.

We won't be stripping it right down....wanna preserve as much OG paint as we can and blend the rest. You don't see OG patina'd early verts...ever! (Except Mike N's badass ultra accessorized 56!) car has 2 resprays over the dolmite....sorta Bordeaux red and what looks kinda ultramaroon? Lucky for us they did a terrible prep job and it's coming off just looking at it! \:D/ we recently discovered citrastrip...have to smuggle it into Canada from you guys caus it's not sold here....works so much better than easy off!

Jrod works 4-midnight shifts so lucky fucker is up at the shop tearing into it as I type....he just sent this text.....

silas

Postby silas » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:58 am

right on. great seeing and hanging out with you guys and the rest of the vvwc crew at the show yesterday!! what a wicked vert, and a great addition to the tripls j's fleet!! congrats!! \:D/ =D>

so the cold i've been fighting for the last week & a half has finally got me, so i have nothing better to do than be lazy & play on the www Frown this is some stuff i've found, most of which you may already know, but i thought i'd share anyway Smile ...

no paint code info found on thesamba.com but found this on the ww site...

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/colors/54151l279.htm

original add with pic of old vw literature...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1827074

enhanced pic of that vw literature from the previous owner...

p-shopped photo from previous owner, and after seeing josh's most recent pics of jrod's paint stripping, this looks pretty close...

also...looks like the previous owner also found & rescued the canadian royal mail bus...so there is that connection too, maybe these 2 were stable mates at one time!!

russ scott wrote:looking around last night, that is such a unique color I can't even find any good pictures of it
it's so killer

hey russ, i read somewhere that your old 55 was made in april too, i wonder how close the vins on these 2 cars are...?

Smile
Zündfolge Car Club

Stock Motor Challenge

russ scott

Postby russ scott » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:13 pm

I'm not sure Silas i'll check the vin and post it,
the 55 was delivered to California I believe originally though (or Oregon)

jb

Postby jb » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:13 pm

True story, this came from John (überwagen on samba) same one who found the Royal Mail swivel =D> He gave us the birth cert and some rad old pics from when it was found in a barn in the 80's. Car was originally delivered to sanfrancisco ca....who knows how it ended up in Manitoba? 8-[
Those old literature pics are cool...they were in a file I got when we were pondering buying it.

Being at work right now is killing me! ](*,)

jb

Postby jb » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Oh little vid cruising home shotgun in the SC...this is what Pete was eluding to in another thread Wink

https://instagram.com/p/BECSRo2oNs3/

jb

Postby jb » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:23 pm

Poor barndoor is taking back seat :-"

Little bit of paint stripping going on....I think we will have lots of dolmite left to play with

The farmer fixes are second to none on this poor car.....cutting torch holes, accident damage and get it back on the road by whatever means possible! radio hole opens up with an axe, gas heater holes and no shortage of rust from Mouse nests :-&

Rear fender and running board reinforcements look like it was being prepped for demo derby! ](*,)

Super easy clutch adjustment access...

Check out this awesome clamp on the brake Rez

Been 2 days and we couldn't look at this front clip any longer!

Check out the killer coil over rear shocks that use muffler clamps to adj preload :-#

Return to “Canadian corner”