Operation "100 mile"

jb

Operation "100 mile"

Postby jb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:29 pm

Back home from our latest tripleJ's kamakazi adventure bus rescue....first was my 56 kombi, then the buried barndoor digout....now this one. We seem to get off on the adrenalin high of the hunt, adventure and experience always consiting of sleep deprivation and long ass truck rides with like minded VW crazies? \:D/

We got a tip from some friends on the mainland about a very very rare single cab left for dead up in the interior of BC. It was found by another local 20 plus years ago when he pulled out a zwitter from next to it. The single was really rough and beyond what they wanted in a project.....that and the fact that it had been pushed in the 70's by a tractor into the woods 400' off the road and deep into the bush with tons of trees now blocking the exit. The extraction was not for the faint of heart so they pillaged any trinkets off it that were worth anything and gave us first dibs on the parts if we were stupid enough to go back for the truck. We hummed and hawed but couldn't get over the rarity of this beat down old girl.....after the VIN was run it they realized that this is SC was built on the first day of production after barndoor stopped! How cool is #5 off the line? The no lip air intake, round cradle, gas door etc on Wolfsburg busses are cool enough but the oldest one known about is around 270 numbers after this one.......#5 SAY WHAT??? \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Gotta drag my ass out to do some kid stuff after this "boys trip" but will upload a piss pot of pics and vids and the full play by play later on....stay tuned Smile

aaronbonte

Re: Operation "100 mile"

Postby aaronbonte » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:19 pm

I've seen that pass by on instagram, looks pretty damn awesome =D> =D> =D> =D> Props to you guys for getting it out =D> =D>

russ scott

Postby russ scott » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:38 pm

thats killer and could not be in better hands

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:40 pm

what about a ragtop oval? :-)
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

jb

Postby jb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:04 pm

cookiemonster131 wrote:what about a ragtop oval? :-)
ya ya I know, the oval is old news....I should have been tuning this weekend but this seemed like a better idea :-k

russ scott wrote:thats killer and could not be in better hands
our hands might be the only ones who are stupid enough to try and make drive again? Haha

aaronbonte wrote:I've seen that pass by on instagram, looks pretty damn awesome =D> =D> =D> =D> Props to you guys for getting it out =D> =D>

Ya I may have let the cat out of the bag a lil early there on IG.....posted those fresh out of the bush....then over breakfast the boys are saying "hey maybe we should keep this one under wraps for a bit?".....me "sorry boys, while taking a shit I may have already leaked the goods?" Haha I can't help it seems I'm the official "PR" post whore of the JJJ crew :-#

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:12 pm

That's a rad find! Number 5 off the line could very well be the first post barndoor single cab.

So, how about leave the body as found and slap slammed mechanicals under it and drag that old bitch! Painted Sprints? 17" grey BRM's?? Gasburners?

Smile
Living!

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Nice Score!!! Totally agree on minimal body repair and maximum mechanical restoration!!!! =D> =D> =D>

jb

Postby jb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:35 pm

GTV wrote:That's a rad find! Number 5 off the line could very well be the first post barndoor single cab.

So, how about leave the body as found and slap slammed mechanicals under it and drag that old bitch! Painted Sprints? 17" grey BRM's?? Gasburners?

Smile

so rad! thats why we had to go grab it!....#5 is definitely the oldest post BD....the next in line on the registry is almost 300 VIN's later, if it were a later wolfsburg we probably would have said fuck it?

jb

Postby jb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:40 pm

rustabus wrote:Nice Score!!! Totally agree on minimal body repair and maximum mechanical restoration!!!! =D> =D> =D>

thx rusty....this bitch is super smashed, torn, shot up with some monster ammo and beat down but NOT rusty :-k soooooo crazy how dry it is up in that neck of the woods....minimal rain and then a ton of snow and hot buggy summers. it was buried in the dirt 6-8" deep yet the frame is the nicest part! was a complete bus pushed into the woods with a tractor then suspension/drivetrain pulled and forgotten about [-X poor thing

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:01 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Twigman

Postby Twigman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:09 pm

MOARRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

jb

Postby jb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:28 pm

ok so here goes......we set off loaded up with a Quad (thx Mrs Main.....we were nice to it!), our buddy Greg (so we had JJJ&G), tools, chainsaw, come alongs, shovels, the beam and rollers out of my 56, some rear wheels that bolt onto torsion caps, lots of cable, chains and rope and Andrews kick ass little car trailer. left the island on the 4 pm ferry, hit up a guy on the mainland to look at half a dozen type 2's for sale......one of which is a certain suicide door rarity :-# from there we hit a pub dinner to fuel the mission in chillawack, hit the road to drive through the night like a bunch of truckers. about 1am just outside of Yale a brand new chev truck wails past us and seconds later something big and black flys out from under her truck barrel rolling down the centre line @ 120 km/h about 25 feet ahead of us! WTF was that? then we all realize they smoked a black bear =D> we pull off to see if they ok and other than her kid balling his eyes out scared and a mushed bumper they OK. We run back to see if its dead.....sure looks dead but envisioning the scene from tommy boy Jrod boots it in the head, yup definitely dead! drag off the road so nobody wipes out on it, try and convince Greg to spoon with it for a pic but he sux Smile wasn't more than a year and a half old by the size....poor fucker! kind of an exciting start to the night!

ImageImage

got to 100 mile house up in the interior of BC (don't ask me why its not metric? :-k ) then about another hour into the bush, follow a gravel road watching the outside temp drop to freezing level #-o directions were follow the logging road till the power lines stop, back up 100 feet and dive into the bush a couple hundred feet down the bank 8-[ we find the driveway, its now 3;45 am 530 km from home plus ferry.....

we want to get cracking but scared of getting shot decide to try and sleep for a few hours and hold out for sunrise.
lets just say 4 dudes farting stuffed into a quad cab chev 4x4 dually is no holliday inn express ](*,) id be lying if i said any of us got more than 45 mins #-o first light was around 6;30 am enough waiting! we roll out of the stink truck and dive straight into the woods.....before I had feeling back in my legs we locate the treasure! its just as fucked up as we were told.....absolutely shit kicked! this is a shot as found last year before being "picked"

ImageImage

back out to the road, unload the truck, strap all the suspension and wheels/gear/tools to the ATV and got busy!

ImageImage

she was just a tit bit top heavy with shit strapped to every square inch....Johnny managed to wheel it in without flipping (barely)

first plan of attack was to try and jack/lift it up high enough to get the beam under....that lasted all of 2 minuits until we decided to tip it over on its side (not really gonna hurt it much more) worked titties!!! brought taps to chase threads and new bolts made life super easy!

ImageImageImage

now a "roller" we spooled out the winch on the quad doubled back through a shackle and started pulling it up the hill.....couple guys pushing super light more just steering it it walked right out to the top of the hill \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

re-positioned the quad and straight pulled it the rest of way as luck would have it the truck squeezed through all but one of the little pecker pole trees......me trying to bend, break, peel and yank the one sapling out without firing up the chainsaw (still too early to bang on the door of property owner and still in fear of being shot!) was by far the hardest part of the whole job! even worked up a sweat doing it haha

and all of a sudden we were out at the road! all i could hear was Johnny yelling about how nasty the bugs were outside of the tree cover haha he wasn't joking! they were on us hard!

quad back in truck, SC all loaded up and strapped to trailer....time check....JUST UNDER 2 HOURS FROM WHEN WE ROLLED OUR SLEEPY ASSES OUT OF THE SUBMARINE SMELLING TRUCK =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
not one of us could believe it went so bloody smooth and fast, we were like an organized military team on one serious mission :-$ haha

we drove down the old boys driveway to find one ramshackle house with lots of old stuff scattered around.....there were a pair of super beetles begging for somebody on here to stuff a subi into :-# :-" :-# :-" a 61 ghia coupe that was seriously retro with full crushed velvet interior...some tractors, a unimog tow truck and some water-cooled shit.....nothing else uber rare [-( the original guy to find this place scored a zwitter that was pushed down beside the SC (he grabbed the semaphores out of it and still has them in the zwit) and a 58 SC was picked up by the guys who put us on to this score. we talked to the old boy for a few minutes, paid him his asking price 8-[ and another $10 for a nice looking virgin dual relief as21 case then we bojingied out of there!

first stop once we got into town was the pressure washer....we left quite the berm of shit on the ground haha!! looked a little better washed but not really haha

no lip!

Jrod representing the L21 army!

definitely no cream puff! she's absolutely shit kicked! lived a very tough life! but amazingly not too rusty! wonder what kinda shape it was in before being pushed into the woods with a tractor?

we bombed back down to Vancouver and because the load wasn't ugly enough or drawing quite enough rubber necking we picked up a 59 rag shell to cut up for some other "customer" jobs \:D/ sawzalled the thing in half in order to fit it on the scab's bed in a super posh upscale neighbourhood haha

ImageImage

money shot! last barndoor was 20-117902, oldest "Wolfsburg" bus known is 20-118285 so #384 off the line....this one is 20-117906 so #4 off the line....first day of new model production
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

last stop was to grab all the parts that went with this truck......not missing that much really! need a rear gate, seat, bumpers, one windshield and a little bit of funky green haha. check out the bloody green face speedo....looks almost NOS, I don't know how this survived this well? feb 55!! =D> =D> =D>

Image Image

0n the 9pm ferry home....thing was empty! yet another 250$ float over to the rock. so left home @ 1pm friday, crawled into bed @12:30 am sunday morn......love these bonzi kamikaze trips! we live for this shit! rather do this crazy stuff than stay in some 5 star all inclusive resort hahaha

I have some more pics to post but that just took the better part of 3 hours, I'm out!

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:14 am

Love it man =D> =D> Great story to. Love that kinda shit :-$ \:D/

john jones

Postby john jones » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:31 am

fucking awesome story dudes!!!!!!! fucking epic!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Working on my fortress of solitude.... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:41 am

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Return to “Canadian corner”