Ron's '59 (aka FRVNGN)

frvngn

Ron's '59 (aka FRVNGN)

Postby frvngn » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:00 am

Let's rewind the clock to a few years ago shall we.......after being without an aircooled car (for about a year)......constantly looking without luck finding my new type1 I decided to buy my wheels. I know,I know you are like ....WHAT?? that's putting the cart before the horse so to speak....that's o.k. right?

So here are my new shoes....

After seeing how Pip & Andym modified theirs (correct me if I'm wrong) I now had the delema of the center caps not fitting the the re-pop wheel. I enlisted the help of a talented machinist here on this forum by the name of Gonebuggy (aka Alex) to machine some larger holes for the caps.....and this is how they turned out...

Now having the wheels & tires mounted and sitting all lonely in my garage I needed to put the search into high gear and find me a new car.
wheels_mounted_resized.jpg
wheels_mounted_resized.jpg (119.94 KiB) Viewed 1907 times

......to be continued....
Last edited by frvngn on Sat May 02, 2015 4:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
_FahRVergNüGeN___________________________
Ron

Franz

Re: FRVNGN's '59

Postby Franz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:02 am

Nah, your doing it right. Build the car around the wheels.

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:18 am

I'll let Ron post the rest of the pics and won't give much away, but this is one sweet SWEET ride. One of my local fav bugs for sure!
...but that's just me.

john jones

Postby john jones » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:26 am

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> Lots of cars have been built around the wheels... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

smokehouse

Postby smokehouse » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:01 am

what caps do they run after they machine the hole the 3 prong or the collar ones.

frvngn

Postby frvngn » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:12 am

Thanks everyone.....I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy about the wheel thing. Wink

....as for the caps the are the plastic chrome collar type from CIP1.....which also required some modifications.

My computer froze during this mornings update..... ](*,) .....didn't save....all gone...must start over. #-o

...stay tuned

Ron

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:23 am

Love me some Cosmics, real or repop it doesn't matter, they're a great looking wheel! What size tires in this combo?
Justin

Franz wrote:Fine, I'll fucking change it.

frvngn

Postby frvngn » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:57 am

Thanks.....I appreciate that.

Front's 165/60/R15
Rear's 205/65/R15

Ron

frvngn

Postby frvngn » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:31 am

O.K.....now that the fancy shoes are in order and waiting patiently, it was time to start my hunt. I looked for months & months....even though it felt like years & years (as we all can attest to). I had some requirement that had to be met with my next type1.
1) Not to be a Canadian car
2) Must be an early car ('64 & older)
3) It has to be solid and have heat (my last 2 did not have it...and I wanted it...period)
4) A good price
...I think that's it.....fair right??

I don't normally search Craigslist but for some reason I was drawn to it this one Sunday morning. Finishing up my Double Double I found the ad:

1959 VW Beetle
Rare 1959 VW beetle in good shape, 1600 single port low mileage engine, runs and drives great. Starts right up and purrs like a kitten.
Never repainted, original fenders, hood, and deck lid. Absolutely NO bondo. Only slight surface rust.
Floor pans in awesome shape. New Optima 6 volt battery. Original radio.
All new brake hydraulics (with dual circuit master cylinder), new brake shoes.
New shock absorbers. Original interior door panels and quarter panels in nice shape.
New door seals, hood seal, deck lid seal, engine compartment seal, king pin/link pin set.
New exhaust, all new control cables (clutch, heat, accelerator).
All new fuel hoses, flywheel, clutch, axle boots, spark plugs/OEM ignition wires, valve adjustment.
Original Hella glass tail light lenses, glass headlight lenses in perfect shape (one VW, one Hella)
New OEM wiper arms. New wiper blades. New antenna, front turn signal lenses.
Everything works, and all repairs were done by a professional with 35 years of experience.
Quite a few new parts that have not been installed yet (inner and outer window scrapers/trim, window channel rubber, misc other gaskets and doodads)

This was what I was looking for. I contacted the seller through the ad and to my surprise I got a response, back & forth a few times we arranged to talk on the phone and get more details on the '59.

Here is some of the history of the car. The seller (Mark) was I think the 2nd or 3rd owner of the '59. It was rescued from a field where it had sat since the mid 70's. It was brought back to life from a man who had worked on Vw's all his life. (over 30yrs) From what I was told that he car was always a Montana car, so it never saw road salt only sand during it's life. The original SP motor was not in the car but was available and near by and the 1600 SP that's in the car now was from one of these....
spra_coupe.jpg
spra_coupe.jpg (10.81 KiB) Viewed 1723 times

......TRACTOR motor!!!! \:D/ \:D/ (but mine's not green)

With lots of parts on the car being replaced it was now road worthy. However I was a little hesitant to do this deal because the car was so far away and never bought a car in the US before but with some encouragement and support from a few good friends I pulled the trigger and did the deal. Not a big deal they said......and it wasn't once everything was all said and done.

Ron

andym

Postby andym » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:38 am

Looks good man!! Yeah you have to cut the cap down some otherwise the hole on the rims will cut into the web. Good job, well worth the time to trash the cheap caps!
Andy In Modesto

Maybe Subaru parts could fix it?

frvngn

Postby frvngn » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:46 am

andym wrote:Looks good man!! Yeah you have to cut the cap down some otherwise the hole on the rims will cut into the web. Good job, well worth the time to trash the cheap caps!

Thanks.....Alex did a great job on them. They did give him a bit of trouble but in the end his mad skills as a machinist truly won the battle.

Ron

frvngn

Postby frvngn » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:21 pm

Sorry for the delay.....I was having some login issues.....Thanks to JJ we're back in business!

With the title now in hand it was time to bring this baby home. Checking online for shipping companies.....and getting outrageous prices (I thought) to import a car into Canada I finally found a company who had a depot in Niagara Falls USA. This was a bonus because it happened to be about 2 1/2hrs away from home and close to the border.

Never importing a car before I wondered what I was in for. But with some advice from Greg and instructions on what I would need to do it turned out to be quite easy.

Dealing with Justin from Freighboy made the car shipping experience a good one. Even when I told him that there was a spare motor & seats coming with the car as well.......very accommodating. Between the shipping company, storage/shipping facility & the border....it was like juggling cats to get everything to fit together....but all the planets aligned.

No need to bore you with all the in between stuff. I received a photo from Mark the seller and knew it was game on.

Made a call and got me a trailer to use to bring the ’59 home, (Thanks again Greg )

Copy of trailer_resized.jpg
Copy of trailer_resized.jpg (26.48 KiB) Viewed 1597 times

Fast forward a few weeks to the pick up day.....we hit the road early to beat the long weekend border traffic making our way to the storage/shipping facility. It worked out perfect because it was a holiday in Canada but not in the US...so it was business as usual.....not going to have any hold ups!

Patiently waiting......
first sight_resized.jpg
first sight_resized.jpg (39.14 KiB) Viewed 1597 times

Ready to come home....
loaded_resized.jpg
loaded_resized.jpg (45.57 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
Last edited by frvngn on Sat May 02, 2015 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ron

frvngn

Re: Ron's '59 (aka FRVNGN)

Postby frvngn » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:34 pm

Since we are in the Buffalo.....let’s stop at the Outlet Mall....

.....north to Canada.

....it’s official crossing the International Boundary Line.

Home in Canada....next stop was to the Tuned Perfection compound for some modifications.
Last edited by frvngn on Sat May 02, 2015 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ron

mikejoe

Postby mikejoe » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:51 pm

hell yeah Ron!! I will wait for more updates!

frvngn

Postby frvngn » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:53 pm

Thanks Mike!

......stay tuned.

Ron

Return to “Canadian corner”