"Scarface" 54 BD panel build

jb

"Scarface" 54 BD panel build

Postby jb » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:53 am

Recently dove into a group effort on my buddies barndoor panel....new crazy plans of having it ready for Kelly Park next april [-o< Figured Johnny needed a build thread to motivate this badass bus build!
I'll chuck up a few shitty pics here and some of the details I know but gonna need John to fill in the gaps :-$

Where she slept for the past what 8-9 years (parts storage.....john has a bit of a fetish about pressed bumpers among other parts haha)

Loaded up

Didn't waste any time ripping cargo floors out to see where we stand metalwork wise....it's no Columbian BD but def ain't gonna be a walk in the park, needs the full meal deal!

We've got a big ol pile of gerson metal to start but need lots more ](*,)

Had 3 guys on a OG dove blue excavation mission the other night... Kicked ass on it! Too bad some jackass killed all 3 sets of logos by sanding the piss out of them #-o we found the odd letter ontop of the red, yellow and blue....only thing can make out so far is a part back by the rear vents that said "radio phone IM82" in cool handwriting font. That's gotta be old!

For shoes we gonna try and squeeze these OG CalParts wheels under it....might get cornholed on the ridiculous back spacing but might get away with a super narrow beam...we will see?

Just scored a wicked deal on a built 2332 for it too! This is gonna be one badass patina'd Barney!

jb

Re: "Scarface" 54 BD panel build

Postby jb » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:56 am

Oh ya....should mention the reason for the scarface name.....I'll have to get a pic of the butcher job on the nose skin [-X looks like some hick removed it with an axe!

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:22 pm

Nice build!

Those wheels are sick, but you'll have to build the bus around them! My buddy and I put Crestline's (similar 60's wheel) on his 61 SC, it's got a 4" beam and short axles, but it doesn't look like it. Cal Parts have even more offset than the Crestline's do so you'll have your work cut out for you!
Living!

jb

Postby jb » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:47 pm

Yup knew it wasn't gonna be easy! Got a clean slate here, can build whatever need be! How narrow can you go on a T2 beam before running into issues?

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:40 pm

4 1/2" is the practical limit... But I don't know if a BD is any different than a later bus.
Living!

Franz

Postby Franz » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Johnny main??

Cuba

Postby Cuba » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:06 pm

Handle that shit Josh.We all faith in you! =D>

jb

Postby jb » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Franz wrote:Johnny main??

You got it! He has talked to JJ in the past about hauling it out to you guys I believe?
We're renting a killer fully equipped resto shop now....everything under one roof we gonna be unstoppable \:D/

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:22 pm

Awww dang, you're a fully fledged bus guy now aren't you :-$ :-$ :-$

jb wrote:How narrow can you go on a T2 beam before running into issues?

I'm fairly certain Kevin did a 5.5" beam still on the outside of the rails? Not sure if its possible to do it in a BD though?
You need to cut the beam tubes flush with the end plate, then cut the dust seal off the beam bushes so the trailing arms sit flush against the end plates to get the extra 1/2" narrower either side.
To make it work you hammer the original stock beam bushes into the beam at the depth that the new bushes finish to act as the captive stop as the dust seal is now gone.
Hope that makes sense? :-# :-# :-#

Your shock angle could be a bit off but it definitely gets the width you want. Otherwise you may be able to move your shock mount in on the lower control arm too correct it a bit.

Either way I'm looking forward to watching it come together \:D/ \:D/

johnnymain

Postby johnnymain » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:51 am

Well here I am posting on my build thread finally!!

Been outta the forum scene for a long time now but always lurking around here checking out all the killer stuff being built by kcw and friends, still gonna make it to the shop sometime to take you guys for lunch one day at roosters!

I bought the 5/54 panel about 5 years back and it has been collecting dust over the years. I was building a few other cars in that time and now it's time to step up.

Jb and me and our buddy jarred now have a full resto shop rented and it has 30 years of car tooling built into it along with milling machines lathes and blasting equipment, it's making these hard builds alot easier for us.

My goal is next year for this bus but having a young family the $$$$ just ain't there like it used to be, in sure alotta you can relate, i have collected alotta parts the last few years including a mint pod, semis, cal parts wheels, all the beam stuff, rear trans kit, tires, a built 2332cc aluminum case type 1 motor, my goal is to build something along the lines of bonz's single or the famous Grover!, we are doing a fully restored underside along with a patina blend on the rust repair, I also have all three seats for the bus, I want it to haul some serious ass on the highway along with a good load of buddies and parts for swapping,

Anyways I am sitting at work waiting fr daylight ill update a post sooner than later with some better pics

Stay tuned.......

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:23 am

"Jb and me and our buddy jarred now have a full resto shop rented and it has 30 years of car tooling built into it along with milling machines lathes and blasting equipment, it's making these hard builds alot easier for us."

Should we from this point forward refer to you guys as "Team Canada"?? \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Working on my fortress of solitude.... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:01 pm

You guys lucked into a ready to rock shop??? Creig... What are your boys up to up there.. :-k :-k :-k :-k =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Working on my fortress of solitude.... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

jb

Postby jb » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:31 pm

Got Johnny out posting =D> having a build thread to update really keeps the motivation and drive with guys comments and shit!

Yeah JJ the new shop is the bomb! Before getting this place John and I were devising a plan to propose to KCW....we wanted convince you to get the intern program up and running, trailer the BD out and spend 2 weeks smashing this bitch out around the clock john jones style! Haha

Jarrods old man ran a hotrod resto shop there for something like 30 years and recently retired....he just wanted to see the stuff get used =D> Super good people! So cool to have 3 friends all VW crazy with killer builds going on helping each other out!
TIG, MIG, milling machine, 2 lathes, bead roller, brakes, English wheel, shear, paint booth, sand blast, glass bead and every other tool you can imagine all under one roof....we are very very lucky and fortunate to score such a place!! Like Johnny said makes once difficult tasks a walk in the park!!!

TEAM CANADA!!!!! \:D/

Mr Grim

Postby Mr Grim » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:59 pm

jb wrote:TEAM CANADA EH!!!!! \:D/

Fixed it for you... :-" O:)

Cuba

Postby Cuba » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:41 pm

jb wrote:Got Johnny out posting =D> having a build thread to update really keeps the motivation and drive with guys comments and shit!

Yeah JJ the new shop is the bomb! Before getting this place John and I were devising a plan to propose to KCW....we wanted convince you to get the intern program up and running, trailer the BD out and spend 2 weeks smashing this bitch out around the clock john jones style! Haha

Jarrods old man ran a hotrod resto shop there for something like 30 years and recently retired....he just wanted to see the stuff get used =D> Super good people! So cool to have 3 friends all VW crazy with killer builds going on helping each other out!
TIG, MIG, milling machine, 2 lathes, bead roller, brakes, English wheel, shear, paint booth, sand blast, glass bead and every other tool you can imagine all under one roof....we are very very lucky and fortunate to score such a place!! Like Johnny said makes once difficult tasks a walk in the park!!!

TEAM CANADA!!!!! \:D/

Lucky Bastards...

Return to “Canadian corner”