My 56 kombi.....fuckin'EH!!!!

Critter1

Re: My 56 kombi.....fuckin'EH!!!!

Postby Critter1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:47 am

Is he interested in parting that thing out? I know Andy/Aaron might be looking for some select T3 parts. Those flat taillight lenses and bumper look cherry. I could use that deckled too... if'n it aint' too Rusty. Smile
Justin

Franz wrote:Fine, I'll fucking change it.

jb

Postby jb » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:52 am

Franz wrote:Leave that poor type 3 alone. Keep your bus stock.

OGPaint wrote:
Flip it, put the money towards the bus. Stay focused

You guys are no fun #-o but I do feel kinda dirty parting out such a cool early and almost complete car :-({|= maybe I'll turn dirty flipper on this one :-k

jb

Postby jb » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:54 am

Critter1 wrote:Is he interested in parting that thing out? I know Andy/Aaron might be looking for some select T3 parts. Those flat taillight lenses and bumper look cherry. I could use that deckled too... if'n it aint' too Rusty. Smile

There are a shit ton of nice parts on it! Ya those parts are nice! (I don't think the engine lid is original to the car by look of paint under black. Will have a better idea of its fate in a few days here O:)

Left_coast*9

Postby Left_coast*9 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:59 am

jb wrote:
Franz wrote:Leave that poor type 3 alone. Keep your bus stock.

OGPaint wrote:
Flip it, put the money towards the bus. Stay focused

You guys are no fun #-o but I do feel kinda dirty parting out such a cool early and almost complete car :-({|= maybe I'll turn dirty flipper on this one :-k

Agreed - don't let this car cloud your focus :) 8-[ O:) Wink Smile

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:44 am

OGPaint wrote:Btw. The dealer promotion sticker in the rear window of the notch is really cool

It's way cool! I've never seen that before.
Living!

jb

Postby jb » Sun May 07, 2017 5:24 pm

So Johnny's barndoor build has been cranking my anticipation/excitement on my own type2 build! The parts stash grew from our Kelly park trip...picked up a killer pass rear corner donor section and drivers dog leg thanks to swap scores and wicked friends =D>
Cause I'm not a baller I'm sticking with the goal of building this bus as cheap as I can (within reason) to this point I'd be surprised if I have 2 grand into it so far =D> Full set of seats, 2275, early crows feet, almost all the metal......remember this was basically a bare/raped shell :-$

OG 57/58 (I think?) front floor from loosenuts I got for 2bills last fall at Yakima \:D/ I need to tweak a couple details like felt pad retainers to jive with the 56 but I can do that.....my time is free :-"

Wicked pass side early rear corner to fix mine....if it were a bubble light corner I'd probably weld the entire thing from gutter down but will prob just splice the bottom off and patch the battery tray hole.

Dog legs from gerson are almost 500$ Each by time land here #-o I saw this killer shape thin lip one at Kelly park and bought it for $40 \:D/ I can weld a little strip to it and give the fucker a "fatlip" in an hour.....perfect fit for this build \:D/

Little while back I bought a bus ragtop mechanism and for a brief moment thought about installing a sunroof clip into this bus but then gave my head a shake and traded it plus a couple bux for absolutely every panel Clara makes for my bus including the "uber kombi" kit \:D/ I've had a major boner for this kit ever since Nancys 56 kombi build \:D/

Couple pics from the samba for me to dream about.....

Johnny gave me an early drivers handle with key so I played locksmith and rekeyed all locks in the bus to one key Wink

Still really a few months off starting on this but getting really excited none the less \:D/

OGPaint

Postby OGPaint » Sun May 07, 2017 8:19 pm

Build this bus!!! the überkombi will be a nice setup in a roadworthy bus. I'm still surprised I'd never heard of it, I am having a hard time adjusting to the wood though even though I'm told it's original. The Volkswagen part of my brain isn't used to the idea of it.

Anyways; more roadtrips, a snowtrip, and some mountain camping in reduction box buses is in the future I'm sure....or maybe lowered...or both

jb

Postby jb » Sun May 07, 2017 9:00 pm

I still wanna build this Betty stock height for her first reincarnation :-" I been getting both praise and flamed equally as expected :-({|=

Bang for buck is what I'm going for here....I wanna road trippin camp machine that can and will do 70mph \:D/ I can't do 55, it just doesn't work for me....."it pure physics officer these size 15 hoofs are hard to hold back!" Wink

What do you guys think about bolting up a late model IRS trans, making own bolt on torsion brackets :-k less moving parts than redux boxes?

russ scott

Postby russ scott » Sun May 07, 2017 9:14 pm

you got the parts and we damn sure know you have the know how
i think a stock height camper would be killer

andym

Postby andym » Sun May 07, 2017 9:49 pm

Irs and subaru key to 70mph!!! No broken alternator straps, no carb linkage!

Bugorama Sacramento is in 3 weeks, you can do it! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :-# :-# :-#

Just posting cuz it's fun! I know you'll be swing axle and air cooled cuz that's how you roll!
Andy In Modesto

Maybe Subaru parts could fix it?

johnnymain

Postby johnnymain » Sun May 07, 2017 10:09 pm

I can't wait to start smashing on this van, payback is not a bitch at triple js it's just another project to look forward to slamming on, we have been talking about bbb, or Shasta or something cool, I missed Kelly park, cant wait to hit a road trip with our busses

OGPaint

Postby OGPaint » Mon May 08, 2017 12:48 am

Many know I've been preaching the IRS gospel for years on lowered buses...it's the absolute best mod you can do on a lowered bus for a lot of reasons. With Stock height or lifted I've never tried IRS, with that combo I'm sure it has benefits and the bay trans is pretty stout. But to me a stock height bus is about simplicity and being a balanced package that works without being a headache. on a bus like that I'm gonna go stock other than making sure it's geared right for my combo and desired speed because I have no desire to go all Robby Gordon style in a stock height bus. You'll not see me with a big motor and blasting on it in a reduction box bus, I just have no desire for that. I do have lots of off highway exploring planned though at what I consider Type 2 speeds.

I see nothing wrong with Bay Suspension stuff if you wanna do it, it definitely works on a bus if you wanna put in the work.

john jones

Postby john jones » Mon May 08, 2017 3:46 am

keep it simple is my suggestion.. But thats not how you boys roll now is it... Wink Wink Wink
:-" :-" :-" :-" :-" :-"

68tintop

Postby 68tintop » Mon May 08, 2017 5:14 am

johnnymain wrote:I can't wait to start smashing on this van, payback is not a bitch at triple js it's just another project to look forward to slamming on, we have been talking about bbb, or Shasta or something cool, I missed Kelly park, cant wait to hit a road trip with our busses

BBB is a cool Vw campout one of my favorites. U got water so u can fish and 500 buses u can't go wrong. U gotta do it. I will probly be there next year in my baywinder tintop. \:D/ :-& =P~

jb

Postby jb » Mon May 08, 2017 3:47 pm

I dunno what I'm talking about here....I've never owned a bus before, the Kelly park trip is by far the most seat time I've ever spent behind the wheel of a Type2 8-[

Honestly I just want to get this bus on the road and have some fun without throwing 20k at it :-({|= figured I can get IRS setup with gearing that will suffice out of the box, maybe? [-o<

Return to “Canadian corner”