My 56 kombi.....fuckin'EH!!!!

dcguy

Re: My 56 kombi.....fuckin'EH!!!!

Postby dcguy » Mon May 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Franz wrote:Has JP had his hands on every bus in Canada? WTF?! Like an opposite Johnny Appleseed. Roaming the land and taking parts from all the VW's.

Pretty much! :)

The 15 Window that came from that stash was pretty sick. I made a deal for the parts from JB's 58 because I didn't know when I was coming back (way up in PG), but I am SO glad you got this bus JB. You did it justice and brought it back to life. The door was loose btw, I didn't take it off the bus, it was just sitting there. Did you empty out the whole bus? It was full of 'treasure'.

Low life scum like me would've just flipped it ;) Also glad you got the door and how did you get it so clean so fast? Tell me the secret! I have an OG Paint Mango that needs the paint stripped off it.

The dude who did the door pickup/drop off was cool guy as well!
jp

carpe diem, one day, one life, no more.

jb

Postby jb » Mon May 16, 2016 6:55 pm

56 not 58 bro Wink what all did you get off my bus?
Ya ol Robert was a cool cat he sat on his ride a mower, smoked about 10 smokes and watched us empty the entire contents of the thing, chainsaw the old 4x4/plywood shag carpeted hippy bed out of it and cherry pick the good parts to chuck back in and get it loaded on the trailer with no Trans in under an hour =D> He mentioned how us BC boys had our program dialed......quote "compared to those Albertan guys before you...." Hahaha \:D/ \:D/

Spray paint was stripped off that door with easy off cause that's what I had on hand....I would of rather used citrastrip. Thanks again for hanging onto that door for me! I've never met Dan....he's just one of the many dubbers always willing and able to go out of their way to hook a fellow car nut up hauling parts for free! Love the wicked vibe we have in the ACVW community here....keeps it fun! =D>

curbo

Postby curbo » Tue May 17, 2016 6:38 am

Got to love early buses like this!

dcguy

Postby dcguy » Tue May 17, 2016 11:02 am

We were NOT prepared. For the bus we picked up, we got lucky. We drove around and got a farmer guy with a tractor to load the other bus. I looked at the 56 (!) full of stuff, and no sir'd that right off the bat! There is alot of cool stuff out there, we bought some signs, a few old bikes and things like that (I love old junk!). But that place is like a picker's dream (I didn't even know have the stuff out there).

Always meant to go back, but never did.
jp

carpe diem, one day, one life, no more.

burwin

Postby burwin » Fri May 27, 2016 11:29 pm

Bit late to the party - on this but I would stick with 2 pop outs. I got 6 that came originally on the 60' & I love them for that reason only.

But practically its takes ages to re build them, if you do have them all open half of them close. One long spoon broke, by the time I had replaced that another on broke and then the short spoon! (Having a pop out with no spoon is definitely the worst of both worlds). If you've got a stock of spoons save them for when they break!

You get the picture.

But YES on the right day having all 6 open and Safaris is a Kombi's version of feeling like a BALLER! :D
I want a real garage

Speshel k

Postby Speshel k » Sat May 28, 2016 1:20 am

Quick question; I recently picked up a 62 patina Turkis. I've noticed throughout this thread you've used oven cleaner and other seasonings to bring the color out. I'm a Virgin on this so can you give me a little breakdown on the roof for example: How long do you apply it? Small area at a time, or bigger for a consistent look and do you use the purple 3m on everything?

Thanks in advance....

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Sat May 28, 2016 6:33 am

Only use oven cleaner or Citri Strip to remove a repaint.
Living!

jb

Postby jb » Sat May 28, 2016 8:44 am

GTV wrote:Only use oven cleaner or Citri Strip to remove a repaint.

That's right...be real careful with the oven cleaner it will blaze right down to bare metal if not careful. All depends on what the respray was...if a catilized 2k proper auto paint good luck! [-X regular old house paint, spray bomb or cheap shit no problem but I'd try citrastrip first before easy off.

Speshel k wrote:Quick question; I recently picked up a 62 patina Turkis. I've noticed throughout this thread you've used oven cleaner and other seasonings to bring the color out. I'm a Virgin on this so can you give me a little breakdown on the roof for example: How long do you apply it? Small area at a time, or bigger for a consistent look and do you use the purple 3m on everything?

Thanks in advance....

This 62.....has it been re sprayed or is it original surface rusty "patina"? If the latter id try some CLR straight out of the jug not watered down and a white 3M pad (non abrasive) or some
0000 steel wool. Then depending on the look you're after something with phosphoric acid like rustmort to slow shit down.

Post pics and good luck! It's a lot of elbow grease required to get that look

Pat K

Postby Pat K » Sat May 28, 2016 7:39 pm

Speshel k wrote:Quick question; I recently picked up a 62 patina Turkis. I've noticed throughout this thread you've used oven cleaner and other seasonings to bring the color out. Thanks in advance....

Rub that beauty down with 800 or 1000 on a DA....gently now....then get yourself in a Cali mind set..... [-X [-X [-X ....not that one... :-$ :-$

Now bust ou Yo buffer and compounds and make smiles.... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

PICS....???

deluxed

Postby deluxed » Sun May 29, 2016 11:55 am

My buddy Sean has been using Goof off graffiti remover, available from canadian tire and walmart, Its been working well, it stinks though, he sprays and works it with 0 steel wool and scotch bright pads, he rinses with water, cleans and buffs the o.g paint. His 57 bug is coming along well. Lots of hours to get to o.g paint though.

jb

Postby jb » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:38 pm

So I just bought this....63 notch complete but rusty.....my stock height plan for the kombi may have just changed ](*,) now I'm back to wanting type 3 beam like tha hooberooo single =D>

Swap the entire running gear and motor in the bus and all I need is a front floor and dogleg/cargo rocker :-k

andym

Postby andym » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:16 pm

Ah yeah!!!!!!!! I have a notchback sitting on my side yard, 65 push button. Build a bus, they cost the same to build and a bus is worth the return. Or just go engine swap crazy and do a Subaru or v8 swap!!!
Andy In Modesto

Maybe Subaru parts could fix it?

OGPaint

Postby OGPaint » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:43 pm

jb wrote:So I just bought this....63 notch complete but rusty.....my stock height plan for the kombi may have just changed ](*,) now I'm back to wanting type 3 beam like tha hooberooo single =D>

Swap the entire running gear and motor in the bus and all I need is a front floor and dogleg/cargo rocker :-k

Flip it, put the money towards the bus. Stay focused

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:23 am

Leave that poor type 3 alone. Keep your bus stock.

OGPaint

Postby OGPaint » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:12 am

Btw. The dealer promotion sticker in the rear window of the notch is really cool

Return to “Canadian corner”