My 56 kombi.....fuckin'EH!!!!

jb

My 56 kombi.....fuckin'EH!!!!

Postby jb » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:43 pm

Mentioned it in a different thread but thought I'd start a thread on my new bus \:D/

Late spring a couple buddies jumped in a truck and drove through the night up into the interior of BC to rescue this beauty.....

Was piled high inside with parts that we riffled through, chainsawed out the shagcarpeted plywood and 4x4 hippy love bed out of and piled what parts we wanted back in. Bolted some drums and front wheels on, a set of casters to the frame horns and winched it onto the trailer. The old boy said to rummage around the rest of the 10 acres and ended up loading a pan from a 54 standard and a rear ribbed fender that looked like it got run over by a dump truck too. Hit the road and the beer store for the bonsai run home. Left Friday night 7 pm ferry and just made it back for the last ferry home Sat at 9 pm.... Covered somethin like 2300 km in that short time and I was awake for 42 hours ](*,) killer boys trip, we had a blast!

Did some trading and ended up being the lucky new owner of this ol girl! Plans are for a ratty lowered simple super patina'd ride....no full blown resto on this bitch but I have to finish my 55 before I start on it....see if I can last on that promise? For now I'm just collecting missing parts (quite a few!) so far I've scored a correct gas tank, reserve tap, some gerson doglegs and long side rocker, door handles, head lights, horn button, radio block off, full length middle seat, and just last weekend both front doors, deck lid, apron, barndoor bubble tail lights, rear pressed bumper and a few other adds and ends....all I need now are front and rear seats, some glass, a nose emblem and motor and trans!!!

Couple more pics....thing it pretty dry for a BC bus, nose is almost rust free, just pushed in and some psycho put an axe through it. Hope I can get it pushed back out to be somewhat respectable without fucking the OG paint?

Easy offing the red paint off drivers door, came out nice!

Remnants of old logos...some kind of TV repair shop down the side and on rear hatch....not sure what I'm gonna do with them yet?

Anyway...I'm super stoked to have an early pressed bumper kombi army next project, gonna be so bad ass. \:D/ after driving that 57 single with the safaris open I was hooked!!

Cuba

Postby Cuba » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:16 pm

FUCK YEAH JOSH !!!
Love to see some detailed fuchs on this!!!

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:57 am

awesome bus,

look in JJ 23 window BD thread. he took a deflated football and wedged it inside the between the nose and the inner skin and then inflated it to push the nose of his out.
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:57 am

Sweet Project!!!! =D>

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:21 am

LUCKY!

jb

Postby jb » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:55 am

Super lucky! I'm more excited about this than I am my oval if you can believe that :-k how times a change......7 years ago it was all about an 11 second NA streetcar......now with 2 kidlets I want a slow ass bus to cruise the fam around =D>
I plan to try the ol JJ football trick....I don't know if that will be enough tho? Is it possible to remove the inner nose brace from inside without fucking with outer skin?

MichaelDF

Postby MichaelDF » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:56 am

pressed bumper kombi. Thats tight!
-Michael-
DUBFAB

dirie1
'Merica

Postby dirie1 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:26 am

SCORE!

Would be nice to do a restoration back to the original patina along with the logos

Slammed, 2L and NO FUCHS:) ERCO's maybe :-k
What do you do with 365 used rubbers? Make a tire and call it a Good Year.

michaelth

Postby michaelth » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:46 am

Nice project ...
Is the driver's door from a "barndoor" I think the pit at the door handle looks so small ..! ?? what do I know .. this bus is certainly super delicious !! with a little love from you ..
It is never too late to give up.
And to start all over with old experiences as a basis.

jb

Postby jb » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:18 am

dirie1 wrote:SCORE!

Would be nice to do a restoration back to the original patina along with the logos

Slammed, 2L and NO FUCHS:) ERCO's maybe :-k

Ya gonna have to ponder the logos....we played wheel of fortune waiting in the ferry lineup on way home 3/4 way corked and figured out what it use to say....can't remember the exact wording but is was something about tv repair :-s I thought it would be super sweet to incorporate my business into it so how and change to something along the lines of HVAC repair :-k

No early alloys for me.....sorry not my style, I'm sure they would look the tits but just too common for my liking!

Ercos did cross my mind only not star cut....just the solid ones, hmmmm

lonestar

Postby lonestar » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:29 pm

michaelth wrote:Nice project ...
Is the driver's door from a "barndoor" I think the pit at the door handle looks so small ..! ?? what do I know .. this bus is certainly super delicious !! with a little love from you ..

You are correct...The drivers door is a Barndoor drives side door and the taillight is also for a Barndoor...Both of those parts would have ended in March 1955. When your looking for Barndoor parts like I have been for my Kombi...you end up learning lots about Barndoors

Can't wait to see this build.... =D> =D> =D>

turner-vw

Postby turner-vw » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:17 pm

looking forward to seeing this build as well. =D> =D> =D>

john jones

Postby john jones » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:19 pm

awesome... envious!!!! so the door and tailights were just extra's that came with the bus?
Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

jb

Postby jb » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:30 pm

No bus was pretty much just a shell with rear hatch and cargo doors. All the rest of the parts I've picked up recently.....mostly in trades, actually bus itself was a labour trade for a shit pile of work on the oval I drove to the great Canadian. =D> Come to think of it all I have invested so far is $500 in real cash....all rest have been trades!

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:34 pm

Nice dude. YOu gotta finish that other car first!

Return to “Canadian corner”