Dogo's '70 Westy

DOGO

Dogo's '70 Westy

Postby DOGO » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:34 pm

If you've missed my wanted ad... I've been searching for a small tail light bay westy the last several weeks. Initially was looking for a ratty specimen, but this one came about and wasn't really much more than a beat up one. Picked it up in Quebec about a week ago. It lived in Cali until 2003, and used just for camping since.

It's got nicks and scratches just about everywhere (and a long-ass dent on the pass side), but it's really solid overall and the interior is nice.

I'll have a LOT of questions, since I know nothing about these and little about mechanics overall, but will ask them one post at a time so it's not so confusing/overwhelming.

Here are some pics, and the last pic of the single cab and bus are the wheels and stance I'd like to achieve.
I don't think I'd mind mild tubbing and notching. I'm pretty sure I will draw the line at narrowing the torsion housing and raising the beam (I might consider a 1" beam raise. I think I read of a kit somewhere)

Any guesses at the Scab's/bus' suspension set up pics at the bottom of the post? Or how to go about achieving that stance? Know of a build thread of either?

Thanks!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Want...

Ignore the links below. Just for my own reference.

viewtopic.php?t=7747

viewtopic.php?p=193988&highlight=#193988

/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8459&p=223568#p223568

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8443
Last edited by DOGO on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:22 pm

I want to swap to either 5x112 late bay or 5x130 Porsche bolt pattern without adapters.
Which would offer me more practical choices and options?
Ideally I would like to stick with drums all around.

I think I have the rear figured out with this (If I went Porsche 130) http://transporterhaus.com/index.php?op ... Itemid=171
Or a late bay rear drum if I went 5x112 (guessing here)?
Can't find anything on getting the front drums to 5x112 or 5x130. Only thing I found is going discs.
Can front drums be redrilled or any other options other than adapters?

thanks!

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Got my wheels today. Pretty stoked!
I used to chuckle a little when seeing peeps buy the wheels before anything else. I realize now that it makes sense to have something to mock up before starting to figure it all out (in most cases, I suppose). I'll mock them up in the next couple of weeks and work out my set up from there. Will be shopping for all the suspension parts over the winter.

Detailed 17s.
Also got my tires. 185/35s and 205/40s, NS2s

Last edited by DOGO on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tuned Perfection

Postby Tuned Perfection » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:43 am

They look great. Did they come from Magro?
Can't wait to see it rolling next summer!
Greg

If you can't run with the big dogs....

Stay on the porch.

Franz

Postby Franz » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:50 am

Nice.

Going to be slammed then? 944 brakes in the front?

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:20 am

Tuned Perfection wrote:They look great. Did they come from Magro?

Thanks
No, got them from John Kloss on Samba.
I can't wait either!

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:27 am

Franz wrote:Nice.

Going to be slammed then? 944 brakes in the front?

Thanks

As slammed as no -or little- cutting will allow.
Front brakes... eventually. Going to mock them up with adapters for now, and see how they work out (although not very optimistic). Will likely have no choice but to go with brakes.
Everything seems to be 2-3 times more expensive than bug stuff, when lowering these ](*,)

andym

Postby andym » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:16 pm

DOGO wrote:

Thanks
I can't wait either!

John is a cool cat.. He defiently does a nice detail job.. He did some custom work on my new rims too. ;-)
Andy In Modesto

Maybe Subaru parts could fix it?

61ragtop

Postby 61ragtop » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Those wheels look awesome! Have you seen the blue bay lowered on 17's that deluxe metalworks has? It looks awesome
61 Rag top Beetle
70 Baywindow
73 Standard Beetle

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:20 pm

SoLowSquare wrote:
DOGO wrote:

Thanks
I can't wait either!

John is a cool cat.. He defiently does a nice detail job.. He did some custom work on my new rims too. ;-)

He's been more than nice during the transaction, and the work is awesome

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:21 pm

61ragtop wrote:Those wheels look awesome! Have you seen the blue bay lowered on 17's that deluxe metalworks has? It looks awesome

Thanks.
Can't say I knew about Metalworks' bay, but Google is my friend Smile. The white/blue one, right?
Wow, their metal work is super clean.

DOGO

Re: Dogo's '70 Westy

Postby DOGO » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:59 pm

So after over a year of collecting just about all the parts for this baby, I had to make the call to give it a go myself. Problem is I don’t really know what I’m doing Smile, so I'll have a LOT of stupid questions! but this should be a great learning experience for me and I have read just about everything I could get my eyes on, and gathered a bit of knowledge that way.
If I knew then what I know now, I would’ve gone with 15” wheels ](*,) . Everything is so fucking tight with the 17x7s.
Going to do a little at a time over the winter.
Some concerns I still have:
-Rear wheel size for rpm.
-Front beam is 2” narrow. I think it will work JUST just. Went with the 2” thinking I could narrow some more if needed, as opposed to going 4” narrow and then widening it (makes sense?). We’ll see how that goes.
-Going to try to not notch the rear frame. A) I’m hoping I can get away with it since there isn’t a great diff in diameter between the front and rear wheel, B) I’d rather not cut it, if I can help it.
-Air shocks clearance.
We'll see how it all pans out.

Set up for now:
Front: Wagenswest 2” front beam, dropped spindles, Vdub Engineering’s 944NA kit (and most brake parts), flip tie rod kit (may not need it, got it just in case), gas shocks
Rear: WW’s drop plate (3.5”), Franklins adjustable spring plate, Old Speeds 944 brake kit, late bay stub axles and hubs (in an effort to be proactive, I asked Alex (Gonebuggy) if he could narrow the axles and hubs some more, to clear the caps on 15” wheels... in the future), Air shocks (If they fit Smile).
17x7 wheels. 185 35s fronts 205 40s rear.

Got a little bit done today. CVs out, brake assembly out and removed the stub axle. Got a chance to prop up the wheel in the well. The inside of the wheel is hitting the lower shock mount so I couldn’t prop it up any higher in the well, but I think it could go a 1/2 to an inch lower.

Just a couple of pics of what's happening. Sorry, can't get a good angle in the tight garage.

Pat K

Postby Pat K » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:40 am

Nice.... =D> =D> =D> =D> .....Looks like your set to make some good progress.

Franz

Postby Franz » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:49 am

Loking good. Getting a bay slammed is hard work, on 17" no less.

I would guess that you'll have to go narrower on the beam. Like a 5" or so.

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:54 am

Thanks, guys.

On the beam... I hear ya. The issue with going too narrow might be the air shock. It's considerably larger than a regular shock, I was afraid of not having enough clearance. I won't be super tucked, so I hope it works out.
The clean white bay on 17's on my first post, is, supposedly, 2" or less, but you can't always assume the info online is accurate. I'll just have to mock it up and see. On the other hand, if I would've gone with 15s.... :-({|=

Is there an "easy" way to get the rear end -more or less- aligned when I throw it all back together? I'm using new spring plate and the drop plate, so markings isn't really going to help.
Last edited by DOGO on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Canadian corner”