Mike's '69 GhiaRu

mikejoe

Re: Mike's '69 GhiaRu

Postby mikejoe » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:13 am

GarryA wrote:This just showed up in my Yahoo news
https://autos.yahoo.com/news/subaru-swa ... 48190.html

Nice!!! A lot of those comments are awesome! The build made a lot of people upset haha!!

aaronbonte

Postby aaronbonte » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:54 am

I just got to ask. How is it you're driving and there's no key in the contact? Somewhere in the video they film from the inside while driving and there's no key? :-s

hoodrat

Postby hoodrat » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:21 am

Haha the boldride article just popped up on my yahoo home page

mikejoe

Postby mikejoe » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:32 pm

aaronbonte wrote:I just got to ask. How is it you're driving and there's no key in the contact? Somewhere in the video they film from the inside while driving and there's no key? :-s

Magic! :)

aaronbonte

Postby aaronbonte » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:42 am

mikejoe wrote:
aaronbonte wrote:I just got to ask. How is it you're driving and there's no key in the contact? Somewhere in the video they film from the inside while driving and there's no key? :-s

Magic! :)

I guess so, love the ghia, truly amazing! =D>

mikejoe

Postby mikejoe » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:17 am

So the Ghia was on the home page of the Vwvortex! Didn't see that coming!

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/video-news ... ear-round/

andym

Postby andym » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:41 am

Haha, that's cool. I like this ghia. How's the bug comming along? I took my subi super to a European show Sunday. This is the attention it got.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (52.28 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
Andy In Modesto

Maybe Subaru parts could fix it?

mikejoe

Postby mikejoe » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:50 pm

andym wrote:Haha, that's cool. I like this ghia. How's the bug comming along? I took my subi super to a European show Sunday. This is the attention it got.

Nice!! The bug is sorta on hold at the moment. We are waiting for some main parts before we can get heavy into it... as soon as we get word that the parts are waiting for us in Montana, we will be driving down to get them, then its full steam ahead on the Oval!

Where are you again Andy? Jesse and I will be heading down to Cali in august.. Salt flats first though.

mikejoe

Postby mikejoe » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:42 pm

Update with the Ghia.

Not much has actually happened. Jesse and I are trying to get a Super beetle ready for paint (Jesse's Inlaws car...no slammy slammy). I need to save some coin for a new fuel cell because the Dune Buggy tank I currently have gives me headaches. So I have a 16 gallon foam filled cell in mind, just need to get the funds for that. Once the gas fumes aren't an issue, driving the car will be waaaaay more enjoyable!

I'm also saving for an air to water Intercooler. When that happens, I can get a boost regulator and turn up the boost!

As mentioned earlier in this build, the car squats hard! I am looking into some QA1 shocks for the rear and possibly some bigger torsions. As well I have to figure out a bump stop thing. When the car gets into boost, it just drops the rear down...not even hard driving, just gentle boost still puts it down. Needless to say with the combination of the squatting and the fuel tank, I haven't really driven it hard.

I have made friends, and myself, giggle like little children when I put the peddle down and that is a glorious feeling!

After a car show that's coming up in February, I will be pulling the engine and brace the rear end... Also thinking of making a half cage.

And Thank you John for hosting this site! I've said before and I'll say it again... This community has felt like family. My first time being here I was welcomed... even though I had a super beetle! You all encouraged me and helped me with questions when I had them! Even now, with another left field build like the Ghia, there was never any hate towards my motives and the direction of the car and I appreciate that so much! With out this community it'd be hard to get motivation to push through those hard and difficult times that all builds have! THANK YOU ALL!

Heres some photos that I took earlier in the summer. When work on the car starts up again, I will post the updates as it happens!

Cheers!

[img]Update with the Ghia.

Not much has actually happened. Jesse and I are trying to get a Super beetle ready for paint (Jesse's Inlaws car...no slammy slammy). I need to save some coin for a new fuel cell because the Dune Buggy tank I currently have gives me headaches. So I have a 16 gallon foam filled cell in mind, just need to get the funds for that. Once the gas fumes aren't an issue, driving the car will be waaaaay more enjoyable!

I'm also saving for an air to water Intercooler. When that happens, I can get a boost regulator and turn up the boost!

As mentioned earlier in this build, the car squats hard! I am looking into some QA1 shocks for the rear and possibly some bigger torsions. As well I have to figure out a bump stop thing. When the car gets into boost, it just drops the rear down...not even hard driving, just gentle boost still puts it down. Needless to say with the combination of the squatting and the fuel tank, I haven't really driven it hard.

I have made friends, and myself, giggle like little children when I put the peddle down and that is a glorious feeling!

After a car show that's coming up in February, I will be pulling the engine and brace the rear end... Also thinking of making a half cage.

And Thank you John for hosting this site! I've said before and I'll say it again... This community has felt like family. My first time being here I was welcomed... even though I had a super beetle! You all encouraged me and helped me with questions when I had them! Even now, with another left field build like the Ghia, there was never any hate towards my motives and the direction of the car and I appreciate that so much! With out this community it'd be hard to get motivation to push through those hard and difficult times that all builds have! THANK YOU ALL!

Heres some photos that I took earlier in the summer. When work on the car starts up again, I will post the updates as it happens! Also, the Stinger is not going to be on the car this year.

Cheers!

andym

Postby andym » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:41 pm

Right in the middle of the California, middle north to south, middle east to west. You driving the ghia down for your trip?

My car squats hard also. 944 rear torsion bars are next for me, they are 25.5mm thick. You can use squareback rear torsions, those are suppose to be 23mm.

It's addiction, once you get the motor figured out, now you have time to dial in the performance. I daily drive my car. Its just a bug.
Andy In Modesto

mikejoe

Postby mikejoe » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:58 pm

andym wrote:Right in the middle of the California, middle north to south, middle east to west. You driving the ghia down for your trip?

My car squats hard also. 944 rear torsion bars are next for me, they are 25.5mm thick. You can use squareback rear torsions, those are suppose to be 23mm.

It's addiction, once you get the motor figured out, now you have time to dial in the performance. I daily drive my car. Its just a bug.

Cool! yeah our plan is to drive down to the salt flats first, Make our way to San Diego then up the PCH back to Canada for the Great Canadian VW show in Vancouver... Then back to Calgary.

andym

Postby andym » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:44 pm

Sweet man, be sure you post up when your on that road trip. It's fucking hot that time of year around here. Maybe by then I'll make the drive up north and can take my car, road trip with you guys..
Andy In Modesto

MichaelDF

Postby MichaelDF » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:36 pm

http://youtu.be/hEPBTbMpz1Q

This video on the Ghia is cool!
-Michael-
DUBFAB

mikejoe

Postby mikejoe » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:07 am

MichaelDF wrote:http://youtu.be/hEPBTbMpz1Q

This video on the Ghia is cool!

Thanks Mike!! It was pretty sweet they wanted to do the video. Which ended up getting thrown about everywhere... The ghia was even in the local big news paper!

mikejoe

Postby mikejoe » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:54 am

When you guys have a few mins to spare, take a look at the this video of the Lacing process we did for the Ghia roof!

https://vimeo.com/118567955

Return to “Canadian corner”