OG 60 Mango

jeffh

OG 60 Mango

Postby jeffh » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:27 pm

Figured it was about time that I get this bus up on the forum, I had been saying that for over a year now. Like most I have been hanging out in the background glued to the site for the last few years. I had emailed John a couple times in the past and really helped me out, really diggin’ the work coming out of the shop. Its been hell of a lot of effort to work around the og mango paint, its going to finally be on the road this spring. This is built to drive and enjoy.
That being said, last item on my list once I am done is to get the roof fixed up, plan is to roadtrip this thing to KCW in the next summer or so and leave it in their capable hands. The rearward section of roof has issues that I just don’t have confidence in tackling. That and I can spend some time mountain biking and shredding Moab….convenient…

This is a fast forward from start to where the bus sits as of tonight. I wanted some updated pictures before I posted, but with limited digi-cams floating around Canada it takes a while to get one reserved.

How it all started...

This bus is totally solid, I held out for a couple years for an OG paint Mango and finally came up. I know I have a crusty mess in my future to make up for how easy I had it….little did the wife know I settled the deal in an internet café on our honeymoon in Italy…

Hippies and their roof dancin'..??

This is my first real bodyworking from welding to paint, I think the blend turned out killer. Local dude is stellar at mixing up paint by eye.

Really just typical rockers, the rear corner/battery tray was smashed into, and the front window sills needed some work.

I was able to save what was left of interior, the rest has come from all over the US, all cleaned up really well and totally usable.

Wheels are cliché fuchs but they just look so good, detailed and painted.…the plan is to move them onto an early oval I want to build in the next couple years. Will be replaced with stock bus steelies.
Front brakes are 944 kit from Lanner in Eastern Canada – I know his work has been brought up on here in the past but I have to add in that his stuff is absolutely top notch. Rear is a basic T1 Empi kit.

New brake lines around, dual circuit m/c installed and ready to be bled. Electrical replaced and actually works! The list is never ending but near everything is replaced,reworked and fresh.

Here is the mango as it sits, waiting for interior, an engine and suspension set. Nothing better than buffed out OG paint.

(sliding window latch is wrong...I will get to that.

More to follow, its cold up this way and a propane heater only goes so far. Engine parts are on route from all over the map...

Jeff
[/img]

dirie1
'Merica

Postby dirie1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:02 pm

Welcome aboard Jeff...

Great to see all the Canucks finally posting up! The bus looks great and indeed it will be in capable hands with the crew here. As for your trip, bring the bus down hang out for a few days and ride here. Really no need to go all the way to Moab to ride when we have some stellar stuff here. The best part aabout it is that you can ride and enjoy your bus all in the same day =D>

What are your plans for motor and stance?
What do you do with 365 used rubbers? Make a tire and call it a Good Year.

jeffh

Postby jeffh » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:47 pm

Thanks!

Figured I needed to help balance things out for the West, all sorts of the Eastern boys popping up here.
I will definitely have to get some info on riding local in GJ area, I am totally open to anything. Figure if I am making the trip, to much epic riding down your way to pass up.
Stance wise, low but not totally slammed. This bus is going to get driven and alot of camping in its future. Maybe raise that steering box when I am down there...
Building a 2180, Weber 44's, mild cam, balanced and done right. I want to do it correctly the first time. Intent is a torquey build for getting through our mountains and general hi-way driving. Not a race car, just a capable bus. Most of the major parts on order, just sorting out the rest.

Thats the plan, I am sure I will have lots of questions coming up!

roccocase

Postby roccocase » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Nice bus Jeff.
I look forward to seeing more of what you do as your bus is pretty close to what I have. \:D/
-Casey W

jeffh

Postby jeffh » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:08 pm

Yeah dude! I have been following. Plan to respray Mango/Sg Grey?

roccocase

Postby roccocase » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:18 pm

jeffh wrote:Yeah dude! I have been following. Plan to respray Mango/Sg Grey?

The plan at the moment is solid mango (I have still never seen a picture of a full mango bus....maybe that's a bad sign :-k ). I could always add the sg grey later if it doesn't look good.

Could I bother you to get me a picture of your front seat mounts? mine are all missing and I need a picture for reference.
-Casey W

frvngn

Postby frvngn » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:20 am

Welcome!!!!

Keep the update pics coming....... =D> ........they help with motivation,especially when it gets super COLD outside.
_FahRVergNüGeN___________________________
Ron

dirie1
'Merica

Postby dirie1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:48 am

jeffh wrote:Thanks!

Figured I needed to help balance things out for the West, all sorts of the Eastern boys popping up here.
I will definitely have to get some info on riding local in GJ area, I am totally open to anything. Figure if I am making the trip, to much epic riding down your way to pass up.
Stance wise, low but not totally slammed. This bus is going to get driven and alot of camping in its future. Maybe raise that steering box when I am down there...
Building a 2180, Weber 44's, mild cam, balanced and done right. I want to do it correctly the first time. Intent is a torquey build for getting through our mountains and general hi-way driving. Not a race car, just a capable bus. Most of the major parts on order, just sorting out the rest.

Thats the plan, I am sure I will have lots of questions coming up!

That sounds like a great plan Jeff!

Just give us advance notice on when your coming down and we will get the riding part figured out for you. It will be totally memorable for you. We can plan on some desert and mountain rides, NO PROBLEM. Riding here is very similar to Kamloops but with lots of exposure and great views \:D/

Get rolling on your bus.....sounds like a lot of fun
What do you do with 365 used rubbers? Make a tire and call it a Good Year.

Franz

Postby Franz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:32 am

Sweet! What exactly are we going to be doing to this rig?

Notchyours

Postby Notchyours » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:51 am

Got to love an OG Mango. Nice bus,and lots of good work done. Keep going.
Franz wrote:
I like seeing our customers cars get beat-up. Rock chips and scratches are cool.

jeffh

Postby jeffh » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:31 pm

roccocase wrote:
jeffh wrote:Yeah dude! I have been following. Plan to respray Mango/Sg Grey?

The plan at the moment is solid mango (I have still never seen a picture of a full mango bus....maybe that's a bad sign :-k ). I could always add the sg grey later if it doesn't look good.

Could I bother you to get me a picture of your front seat mounts? mine are all missing and I need a picture for reference.

I would be interested to see, and like you say...can always spray the sg grey later...
I took a couple pics for you this evening, let me know if this is what your after.

jeffh

Postby jeffh » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks for the compliments all. I look forward to figuring out a mtb/bus trip sooner than later. Will definitely be in touch as it nears and schedule something. I am really happy with how the bus is coming along and was high time to get some photo's posted. I will keep this thread alive as I progress and roll it out in the spring.
Would have been a beautiful day to work on the bus today...but a 6am wakeup call with news of a powder day is hard to resist.....

Hey Franz - the plan would be to fix up the rearward section of roof. Really thin in a couple areas, and crinkled. I think its worse than in the picture I posted. That and a fresh coat of paint to finish the deal. I am going to keep looking for a roof section in the mean time. I will have plenty of notice to schedule something up.

jeff

roccocase

Postby roccocase » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks for the pics Jeff. exactly what I was looking for. I wish my bus looked as good as that inside. are there any mounts in the centre of the seat or rubber bumpers? (I've never seen a full bench seat up close before)
-Casey W

rekka

Postby rekka » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:22 pm

jeffh wrote:Thanks for the compliments all. I look forward to figuring out a mtb/bus trip sooner than later. Will definitely be in touch as it nears and schedule something. I am really happy with how the bus is coming along and was high time to get some photo's posted. I will keep this thread alive as I progress and roll it out in the spring.
Would have been a beautiful day to work on the bus today...but a 6am wakeup call with news of a powder day is hard to resist.....

Hey Franz - the plan would be to fix up the rearward section of roof. Really thin in a couple areas, and crinkled. I think its worse than in the picture I posted. That and a fresh coat of paint to finish the deal. I am going to keep looking for a roof section in the mean time. I will have plenty of notice to schedule something up.

jeff

Hey, just spotted a roof in Ontario on the Samba. Might be a long way but I'm a Brit living in BC so I have no idea about ON.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1199213

jeffh

Postby jeffh » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:45 pm

roccocase wrote:Thanks for the pics Jeff. exactly what I was looking for. I wish my bus looked as good as that inside. are there any mounts in the centre of the seat or rubber bumpers? (I've never seen a full bench seat up close before)

Hey Casey,
I took a shot of just half the bench, the other side is identical in regards to the rubber bumpers (missing the one on the left). I am sure your all over this but at least you have a visual. There are no other supports to support the lower seat frame.

Rekka - Thanks for the lead. I have been dealing with Lanner trying to get that roof out my way...not an easy task being so HUGE and awkward to move. I do only need the rear half so maybe I can make it work.

Return to “Canadian corner”