Jeremy's '59

jeremy

Jeremy's '59

Postby jeremy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 pm

So I thought I would post some pics of my '59 Beetle project. I've owned the car for about 20 years. Finally started working on it earnest the last couple years. It was pretty rotten. Replaced the crossmembers, heater channels, quarter panels and various other rusty areas. I converted it to IRS before I knew it was "played out". I fabricated my own trailing arms that narrow the track 1.5" and offset the bearing housing up 2" to drop the rear end without the camber. Kind of like a trans raise would do on a swingaxle car. Four wheel discs, dropped spindles, 4inch beam. Primed with high build on Fri night, sanded all day Sat. and sprayed some color Sat night. Got all the removables painted. Now I have to concentrate on the body. Sorry. Lots of pics.

I ran two new fuel lines down the tunnel and out each frame horn then welded JIC fittings on both ends.

jeremy

Postby jeremy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:01 pm

More pics.

Metal etch.

Spraying some high build. Probably close midnight in this pic. Don't know who that fat guy is though. Yes, thats a crown that say Princess on it on my head.

Ready for the fun/stressful part. Never painted a car before. Took a couple try's to get the flatener right. But decided on 30%. Turned out pretty good. Wasn't quite sure on the color at first but it is growing on me.

The under sides of the fenders were our test sprays. Didn`t shake the flatnerer enough. Too shiney. We had to really shake the shit out of the flatener can before every mix to get it right. It thickens up and comes out like gel.

Here's my storage for now until I get the body painted. The lawnmower can sit out in the rain. Lots of pics but pretty excited to get some color on the car after 18 years.

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:23 pm

Hell yeah, thats looking great. That chasis looks stout too....The cross bracing is nice.

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:16 pm

Very nice... Looking forward to seeing more.
Mark

Tuned Perfection

Postby Tuned Perfection » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:32 pm

Yeah, you're off to a great start!! The car looks great in that pic where the body is on the chassis on the Fuchs. Can't wait to see it together. =D>
Greg

If you can't run with the big dogs....

Stay on the porch.

jeremy

Postby jeremy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:26 pm

Thanks guys. Getting there. Realized the hood and one door need more paint so I'm heading off to go scuff what was probably good enough for a garage paint job. (Insert head hitting wall Emoticon) The Emoticons aren't working for me.

Here's some of the seat combo. Frames are powdered gun metal. Seat covers are just something I found on samba for cheap.

Image ](*,) ](*,)

OKMOOSE

Postby OKMOOSE » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:03 pm

Damn, looks great. I can't wait to see it finished.

exciter
blue & silver

Postby exciter » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:18 am

Jeremy your car is looking great i am going to take a stab at guessing the name of the green paint your using!!!! Gerson Green ? LOL
I really like ! =D>
Joe

Sainfest 2012 or bust!!!!!
Daytona 2012 here we come!!!!
slammed 63 og patina!!!!!!!

ramzrod

Postby ramzrod » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:30 am

Wow! 18 years later! I thought 3 years was long :-k Keep going, it'll be done in no time =D>
Ramsey
|o\®/o|

jeremy

Postby jeremy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:38 am

Thanks guys. I guess you could call it Gerson Green. I had a bit more of a browny/green color in mind but my guy at the paint supply place said he could mix one of his stock colors for $60 a gallon. Sold. That is what I chose.

So I think I'm getting a little obsessed. I noticed a hand print on my door last night after paint and it was on my mind all night. So up at 6:45am to sand it out and respray before I have to watch the kids at 8am. While I was at it I got the other door out of storage and spayed it again and the inside of both doors. Let it dry all day and then move the body back into the garage to finish sanding it. Want to spray it before the family and I head for So Cal next week. That will give it a good week to dry before assembly.

jeremy

Postby jeremy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:06 am

A little update. Got the body painted after a few trial and errors. ](*,) The pics give it more justice than the paint deserves. I think I might even try one more coat after this but these pics will give you the idea.

Here's my bolt combo. Might not be to everyones taste. Stainless bolts with anodized aluminum washers. I bought a box of 100 of each so I will just use these where ever I need an 8mm bolt. (fenders, pan bolts, bumper brkts, etc.)

I also went with something a little different on the smaller removeable pieces. Glossy gun metal to contrast the green. The dash pieces, door handles, hood handle, hood hinges, decklid handle..... The chrome on the handles was all pitted anyway. I could always buy some new ones if I don't like it.

Last edited by jeremy on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

john jones

Postby john jones » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:21 am

everything is looking good.. oh the old days of hanging plastic in the garage... simple.... fun, exciting, grass roots car building fun..

Keep it up.. Yoru gonna be driving it anytime..

I like your hardware.. was it spricey? and where did you order it from?
:-" :-" :-" :-" :-" :-"

jeremy

Postby jeremy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:06 am

Thanks John. It would be nice to have a proper spray booth (and gun, and sandblaster, and......) but it is what it is.

I bought the washers from a place called Maryland Metric. http://mdmetric.com/fastindx/uf76_82.pdf
Bottom of the page. I think I paid about $35 for a box of 100.

The bolts (100 pcs) I got from a local (B.C.) supplier but McMaster/Carr have them. http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-cap-screws/=8z1e8 They were about the same. $35.

The anodizing for all 100 washers and the aluminum dash switch nuts was about $40.

Maybe a little pricey considering nobody will be able to see most of them.

#-o

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:15 am

Kick ass! That is one stout rear end. That shit would hold back king kong! =D>

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:05 pm

Looking sweet.

Return to “Canadian corner”