Dogo's '57 rag

DOGO

Dogo's '57 rag

Postby DOGO » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:12 pm

So here is my new ride.....
As I mentioned on another thread, I had been totally immersed in everything VW years back, but I've been out of the scene for some time now. I recently got the itch and a bit of money to finally invest in something that didn't need work to get on the road
I feel like I have to relearn everything all over again!
I recently sold my last beetles that I had laying around ('68 vert & 65 HT) Although I loved the '65, it just wasn't exactly what I wanted and figured it would be more worthwhile to throw money at something I really wanted.
What I wanted was a oval rag, or a 21/23 window. And NO project cars. (got tired of struggling to get them done without being able to drive them!). The buses are out of my reach.
I wasn't really planning on buying anything anytime soon, but I bumped into this '57 rag.
The little I know is that it's west coast car. the paint is not perfect, and I don't exactly LOVE the color, but it's very solid
It's not on the road yet (I've been on holidays, and am getting a bit of a runaround from this guy to get the appraisal done)
Once the appraisal is done (hopefully in the next couple of days) I can concentrate on certifying it (I'll be giving you a call sometime this week, Greg)
There isn't MAJOR plans for it. I'd like to lower it and get a set of BRMs, and I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to do that, since I''ve put all my nickles into buying it. Also, I tend to be my worst enemy at making decisions (how low. What rim size. Tire size, etc), but I'll keep you posted.
I'd be happy with getting it looking how I want it by next summer.
I'm kinda kicking myself in the ass 'cause I sold a 36er with an Okrasa kit on it, a few months back. F%*K!

I have a few questions -of many more to come-....
Can someone tell me what blue is this exactly?
And what model? (as in canadian Dlux, etc) And anything you see incorrect for the model/year, please point it out
It seems to have original floors and heater channels. How can I tell for sure?
Many thanks in advance, and sorry for the long ass post

RichZ

Postby RichZ » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:26 pm

very nice i just picked up a 56 oval nowhere near as complete, but very nice pickup.

exciter
blue & silver

Postby exciter » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:25 pm

that is a beautiful car just the way it is although it would look super wicked slammed with the white walls!!
Joe

Sainfest 2012 or bust!!!!!
Daytona 2012 here we come!!!!
slammed 63 og patina!!!!!!!

LOPHAT

Postby LOPHAT » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:26 pm

very nice! =D>
Pants on the ground, pants on the ground...lookin like a FOOL with your pants on the ground. Hat turned sideways gold in your mouth...

Tuned Perfection

Postby Tuned Perfection » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:08 pm

I look forward to the call, and seeing the car!
The only question I will take a stab at answering is the floors. If they are original they should have the little pegs on them to keep the rubber floor mats in place. Right in front of the front seats. My '59 has original front floors, and new back halfs. You can clearly see the seam.
Greg

If you can't run with the big dogs....

Stay on the porch.

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:49 am

Tuned Perfection wrote:I look forward to the call, and seeing the car!
The only question I will take a stab at answering is the floors. If they are original they should have the little pegs on them to keep the rubber floor mats in place. Right in front of the front seats. My '59 has original front floors, and new back halfs. You can clearly see the seam.

Cool! I "knew" (hoped) that was something that would give it away!
There are two pegs in front of each front seat and two more in front of each side of the back seat \:D/

Everyone else, thanks! Much appreciated

Wren
Hey, KEEVIIN!!!

Postby Wren » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:01 am

Nice Car! Smile

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:26 am

Looks like Horizon Blue. I would assume its an american spec beetle...cause of the bumper overriders. I'm not sure if Canada got those too?

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:20 am

Franz wrote:Looks like Horizon Blue. I would assume its an american spec beetle...cause of the bumper overriders. I'm not sure if Canada got those too?

I'm the wrong guy to ask, but..... I think the car is originally from Cali, then went to BC.

The guy I bought it from initially said it was Horizon blue, but then he said "no, I think it's **** blue" I forget what other blue he said.
THank you. I'll look up HB

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:49 am

I'm starting to think it might be a '56?
I have a roller pedal (and I forget what other differences between a '56 and '57, that I read somewhere)
How can I tell for sure?
Also, isn't the antena supposed to be on the drivers side? I just found a couple of welded up holes on the drivers side that correspond with the placement of the antena on the opposite side.
What was the point of that? :-k

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:08 am

Radios were dealer installed, so I think the antenna could have ended up on either side. The only difference that I know of between a 56-57 is the location of the front heater vent, one is forward and one is back further... can't remember which is which...
Living!

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:14 pm

On 56 the vents are forward near the pedals. In 57 the moved them back near the A pilar.

bam22422

Postby bam22422 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:36 pm

Franz wrote:On 56 the vents are forward near the pedals. In 57 the moved them back near the A pilar.

OG 56 channels are rare as hell. mid 55 - 57 was the only time they were slashes and up where the early screened ones were.

57-? didn't change for a long while?
rooster

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:45 pm

Thanks.
'57 it is, then

bam22422

Postby bam22422 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:57 pm

DOGO wrote:Thanks.
'57 it is, then

only for sure if the heater channels are original.
they could have been replaced. and if your not rich's50 and have the bankroll to get the right stuff sometimes the wrong year part is installed.
I have been guilty of this several times in the past. O:)
rooster

Return to “Canadian corner”