Dogo's '57 rag

exciter
blue & silver

Postby exciter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:17 pm

Dogo
Your ground looks good as long as its good and tights through both bolt connections. As far as your wiring goes I would try and feed it up through your liscense lamp lens houing and through the decklid with the exsiting liscens lamp wire and tie into the wiring coming from your right side tail light . I think the brake wire should be red and white BUT i thinnk they are both red and white so I would try and trace which wire your lisence plate light feeds off of and the opossite one of that should be your brake light wire? Good Luck,
And by the way Kickass Light you found I really like it! \:D/
Joe

Sainfest 2012 or bust!!!!!
Daytona 2012 here we come!!!!
slammed 63 og patina!!!!!!!

Franz

Postby Franz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:19 pm

A good auto parts store should be able to convert the 12v bulb number into something similar in 6v. You can tap into your license plate light for the running light...but the brake light is a different story. The brake light and turn signal light are on the same circuit in pre 62 cars. If you were to just hook into one of the brake light wires at the rear of the car, the third brake light would flash with whatever side its hooked into....plus the flasher would act like its on crack.

The best way to wire the brake light in is going to be running a new wire all of the way to the brake light switch on the master cylinder(or the brake light feed wire into the turn signal switch).

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:03 am

Thanks, both.
I like the idea of hooking up to the license light. I think I'm going to do that for the running light.

Re. the brake light... I "followed" one of the brake sender cables into the trunk going into one of them little screw socket thingamajigs. Hooked it up, tested it, and it works great. Can I just tap into that as opposed to to the sender directly? Also, is it possible to fish a cable up the A pillar and through the roof into the engine compartment, or is that blocked someway?
...but that's just me.

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:09 am

You might be able to run the wire through the roof an A pilar...its just going to be hard to do with a headliner installed.

You should have 2 running light wires going to the rear of the car. I'd unplug one at the fuse block...make it your brake light wire. Then un-unhook the same wire at the tail light connector and hook it to your third light.

To get your running light back to the one you just un-hooked, run a wire to the other tail light connector and T into the running light there.(your license light should be T'd in at that spot too)

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:25 am

aaaaah, I think I got it. That's clever.
Going to check it out tonight. Thanks!
...but that's just me.

Pigpen
What vasectomy?

Postby Pigpen » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:20 am

I think you should get 14 feet of wire, and ground it to a lugnut on your front right wheel...

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:59 pm

OR to one of the pulleys. That would save me about 12ft of wire!
...but that's just me.

Pigpen
What vasectomy?

Postby Pigpen » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:18 pm

But no one would get to appreciate it if it were hidden in the engine bay... Smile

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:23 pm

:-k Decisions decisions
...but that's just me.

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:57 am

So here's what I did (before and after shots). It works perfectly, I just want to know if it's done safely and not go up in flames! I didn't exactly "bridge" the two rear running light connections with a wire as you suggested, Franz (or as I understood it) but put the two wires together on the same socket instead. I guess the idea is the same (?)

At the rear, I have three wires coming out of ONE socket. Is that alright or should I just hook it up to the license plate light socket on the deck lid?

Old wires. In trunk (taped blue): Black w/red stripe is wire coming from the brake sender, and white w/black stripe is the one going to the rear (former running light).
On the new wires/light: white is going to the running light, black is "brake"

So the former running light wire -now the brake light wire- running to the rear has no fuse, right? Should I install an inline one or call it good?

Before. Rear.

After. Rear.

Before. Trunk.

After. Trunk.

...but that's just me.

exciter
blue & silver

Postby exciter » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:06 am

=D> =D> =D>
Joe

Sainfest 2012 or bust!!!!!

Daytona 2012 here we come!!!!

slammed 63 og patina!!!!!!!

hitlersride

Postby hitlersride » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:30 am

love the light man!

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:43 am

exciter wrote:=D> =D> =D>

Does " =D> =D> =D> " mean I'm good for fire hazards? Smile
...but that's just me.

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:44 am

hitlersride wrote:love the light man!

Thanks!
...but that's just me.

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:48 am

Looks good. A fuse isn't a bad idea. If that wire were to ground out the problem would be that it'd melt all of the wires in the main harness together.

Return to “Canadian corner”