dcuplover's 1960 single cab

dcuplover

dcuplover's 1960 single cab

Postby dcuplover » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:45 am

just started to dismantle my project truck. The truck is still original paint and will stay that way as much as possible. I am going to lower the truck but it won't be in the weeds low. I still will use the truck as a truck somewhat. I dropped the suspension out front and back the last couple days. Bloody shift rod sleeve was a bastard to get out. Had to cut the sleeve in the end. Next is going to be looking at which way to go either IRS or swing?? Any ideas?? Also started to look for the stuff to swap Porsche brakes in the front. What's the best way to get rear discs? Have a set of Creative Engineering safaris for the front and will be keeping my eyes and ears open for a rear safari. In the beginning I will just be doing a simple 1600 with a bigger motor later after I get a few things sorted out. I am also looking at trying to get all of my projects rolling on the same wheels. I have a couple old Datsuns (Roadster and a 510), a 1974 BMW 2002 and 2 more VW's (60 double door panel and a 65 single cab). I have 2 sets of Cosmics already for the Datsuns and three sets of Revolutions again for the Datsuns. I can probably get the Revolutions a little easier and definitely cheaper then the Cosmics. The Revolutions would be unique on the VW's since most guys don't know what they are. Here are some shots that show the truck and it's condition.

and the wheels (the Revolutions are on the right).

I will post up some more shots if people want to see them.

LOPHAT

Postby LOPHAT » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:34 am

Nice, I love old Datsuns! Couple of my buddys have some 510's out here and they are hella fast!

Glad to have you aboard, we are pretty easy going over here, post up more pics.
Pants on the ground, pants on the ground...lookin like a FOOL with your pants on the ground. Hat turned sideways gold in your mouth...

Franz

Postby Franz » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:38 am

Swing alxe defianely! IRS is for super beetles. Smile

I'd even narrow the torsion housing and go with short axles and Porsche 944 rear brakes. Call Russel at Old Speed and he can set you up with a complete Porsche 944 kit. Thats how John did his BD single and he says that its the best stopping bus he has ever had.

BurtReynoldsIsBald

Postby BurtReynoldsIsBald » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:24 am

Franz wrote:Swing alxe defianely! IRS is for super beetles. Smile

I'd even narrow the torsion housing and go with short axles and Porsche 944 rear brakes. Call Russel at Old Speed and he can set you up with a complete Porsche 944 kit. Thats how John did his BD single and he says that its the best stopping bus he has ever had.
I've got Russ's disc brake setup on my 67, and the thing stops incredibly well.

dcuplover

Postby dcuplover » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:04 am

Should I use this beam and spindle set or a newer (65 or so ) beam? I believe I read somewhere that the spindles on the later split beam are better for the Porsche swap.
I responded to the posting about shortening the rear tube and wondered why you did that (so you don't have to run an offset plate of some kind?).
Is there any special year that I want to look for in regards to the parts for the swing axle?
Thanks for the leads. i will go over his site and see what there is. I would rather build my own stuff then buy a kit. I have lots of tools (but only a limited amount of experience) tig/mig all the usual shop stuff and access to everything I don't have.

dcuplover

Postby dcuplover » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:42 pm

some areas or necessary work:

john jones

Re: dcuplover's 1960 single cab

Postby john jones » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:42 pm

Alp... You should send this to KCW
Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

Franz

Postby Franz » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:25 am

Agreed. We could have that going in a couple of weeks. =D> Nice truck!

jb

Postby jb » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:59 am

Shit I didn't even know alp had a thread on here :-# not 100% sure if it the same truck but I know a buddy here in Victoria bought a sc from alp a couple years ago....

dcuplover

Postby dcuplover » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:01 am

that was a 65 SC that I sold to get this 60. I had a 57 also that I foolishly sold to a friend. This one is pretty good all around except for that one spot. Original paint and fairly solid. I do need to get working on it along with the others I have sitting.

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:02 am

Lets do this ALP!!

hey... what is it you are getting? I couldn't hear you on the phone the other day.. PM if you want.. :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k
Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

dcuplover

Postby dcuplover » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:04 am

lets do this Alp....which the SC, the double door panel, the 67 panel....... all dust collectors at the moment...sadly

Return to “Canadian corner”