Crazy Hungarians' 60... (formerly Mikejoes)

Pigpen
What vasectomy?

Postby Pigpen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:36 pm

That's exciting for you, CH... Congrats.. =D>

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:59 pm

ok...some pics tonight...but while my car has been in storage I jacked the sucker up to see how much paint/metal I wore off the underside and sure as shit there's a huge puddle of gear oil under my passenger side rear wheel #-o
so I trace it back and its dripping out that little hole in the backing plate which is connected to the drain hole in my rear wheel axle bearing cover.

Is there supposed to be a plug for this little hole?
It's only happening because the car is on jack stands and my wheels are hanging...doesn't happen with it on the ground.
But it's also not happening on the drivers side...kinda odd? :-k

So I tore it apart and I've ordered some new rear wheel bearing seal kits.
Anybody ever encounter this?
I had the entire rear end apart last winter to do brakes, flange seals and bearings, so everything in there was essentially new...barely put 1000 miles on the car since then.

Franz

Postby Franz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:50 pm

I bet you folded over a lip on the seal when you installed the bearing cap...pretty common problem. On a cambered car there is never oil at the end of the tubes...so its not a problem.

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:14 pm

Noted...I've ordered the proper VW seal kit and I'm going to replace this sucker properly.
Thanks Franz

Any chance you guys have a link to an exploded view diagram for the rear wheel o rings and seals and slinger?

The way I understand it its

Outside: bearing cover - large o-ring - oil slinger - bearing seal - spacer with taper facing in - small o-ring- washer - bearing : Inside

Reason I'm not sure is that this same side leaked before I took it all apart last year (one of the reasons I tore it all apart in the first place)...and while I put everything back in the order I found it, I'm not sure that was the right order.

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:22 pm

Ok, the silver washer in this pic which came with my axle seal kit...what is it for?
It doesn't fit on my axle to be the washer
It can't be # 7 as the inner diameter is too small for my axle.

Is it supposed to be #13?
](*,)

Tuned Perfection

Postby Tuned Perfection » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:46 pm

It's supposed to be #7.

This may help you as well:
http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/ ... php?t=5646
Greg

If you can't run with the big dogs....

Stay on the porch.

CORPSEGRINDER

Postby CORPSEGRINDER » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:24 pm

also pack wheel bearing grease into the bearings if your car is lowered.
bearings will last longer.

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:13 pm

awesome...thanks Greg!
I was wondering about that stupid little washer.
\:D/

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Alrighty...so one of the things I'm on the hunt for over the winter is this
Basically my car has a non-H pattern rear apron, and as a result it lacks the piece of metal for the t-handle to latch to...and the bolt on catch piece for the later style decklids doesn't work.
I saw a bolt on version of the early catch on a car last year...so I know they're out there, but I don't know if they're custom.
Anybody up here in the great white north have one?

hitlersride

Postby hitlersride » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:47 am

lemme see what i can find.

LOPHAT

Postby LOPHAT » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:35 pm

im, confused, what piece are you lookimg for?

...its not even really late, and ive been up for almost 20 hours.

I have a spare front apron, and a spare rear decklid.

edit, sorry i understand now...took me a bit. I think I threw that older pc away, if there isn't a latch on the new on I may be in the soup myself.
Pants on the ground, pants on the ground...lookin like a FOOL with your pants on the ground. Hat turned sideways gold in your mouth...

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:17 am

Ok, so basically, the rear apron on the car right now looks like this
http://www.cip1.ca/PhotoGallery.asp?Pro ... 11-813-301
It is the replacement (non-H) apron.
As such it has two holes to accept a later style rear catch like this
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?P ... 11-827-513
But that kind of catch doesn't work with a T-handle decklid latch.
So when I ditched the 65-66 rear decklid that was on the car for a more correct 58-63 decklid with a T-handle, the bolt on style catch doesn't work.
So right now, the only thing keeping my decklid closed is gravity (and the fact that I removed the decklid spring).

So if you look at the H pattern apron, the catch is welded to the apron.
BUT, last year I saw a couple cars where someone had fabbed a t-handle style catch to bolt on to the later style replacement apron.
I don't know if it was a standard piece that was available through the aftermarket a few years ago or what. I know I searched the usual suspects and nobody shows anything.
So worst case I need to find a junk H-pattern rear apron, drill out the spot welds on the catch part, and then mod it with a couple holes to make it bolt on to my rear apron.

LOPHAT

Postby LOPHAT » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Cool, I really need to find that piece or I gotta hunt down one for myself. I'm going to take a look at my car today and see if I can get my buddy to fab up something pretty...after I make a crude workable something.
Pants on the ground, pants on the ground...lookin like a FOOL with your pants on the ground. Hat turned sideways gold in your mouth...

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Mon May 09, 2011 5:27 pm

So my local supplier of internet web-type hosting decided to fill up recently so I could have more inter-webs.
The result I can post up pics of my stereo box and speaker install
The finished box looks like this
Basically its an MDF box with a JL component system and an old-skool manual crossover in the lid, which I wrapped with a piece of matching TMI seat material. Sure it dulls the tweeters a bit, but I love how it blends with the rear seat. The entire point of this system was to have it run off my iPod and basically be invisible.
Next, I took the rear seat heat outlets and put a pair of JBL 3.5 2 way speakers in em and used a spare mk1 Jetta rear defroster switch as my 12V power switch for the amp. I glued the outer part of the original heater duct trim on the outside and it really helps hide the fact that there's a speaker in there.
Basically the entire point of the exercise was to keep the speakers and all wiring behind me, nothing running forward...except for the aux wire that is between my front seats to plug my iPod into.
Based on the stereo install on Emily's Lowlight, I went with the Alpine 4 channel amp, and it worked out perfectly.
2 channels for the components in the box and two for the under seat speakers and then I utilized non-amplified outs to run the signal to my Bazooka boom-tube which is mounted inside the rear seat box for a little extra thump.
Cranked up a little DFA 1979 for the maiden voyage this year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-W6XsyB3fA

kafur1

Postby kafur1 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Crazy Hungarian wrote:Alrighty...so one of the things I'm on the hunt for over the winter is this
Basically my car has a non-H pattern rear apron, and as a result it lacks the piece of metal for the t-handle to latch to...and the bolt on catch piece for the later style decklids doesn't work.
I saw a bolt on version of the early catch on a car last year...so I know they're out there, but I don't know if they're custom.
Anybody up here in the great white north have one?
you still need ? imight have one floating around let me look and i get back to you

Return to “Canadian corner”