Crazy Hungarians' 60... (formerly Mikejoes)

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:15 pm

you take the good
you take the bad
you take the rest and there you have.... :-({|=

Yup, the 60 kicked my ass last night.
Basically realized at the 11th hour that my old exhaust wouldn't clear the spin on oil filter and pump assembly.
BOO-URNS!
So I said E-NUFF!
Went to a buddies, many beers + meat on a stick.
So I need a different exhaust / muffler setup.
Oh well.
On the plus side (after undoing the mounts and shoving the tranny forward, I got the engine in \:D/
I am convinced that if I didn't have the blasted single port stock intake manifold on, it would have gone in NO PROB.
But I got it in.
Everything is hooked up other than the exhaust and fuel, engine cranks well and is holding its oil \:D/ \:D/
I adjusted the steering box and double checked everything on the front end, replaced a few of the OG castle-nuts with new grade 8 nylon locking nuts.
All that's left to do is put an exhaust on it, put the gas tank in, stash the HID ballasts in a different location, trunk liner and carpet and fire it up.
There's a vintage cruise night in Georgetown on Thursday, going to try and have it done for that.
Bringing it to Bugfest in Durham in a few weeks.

[-o<

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:45 pm

Gas tank is in...trunk wiring is cleaned up...one of the headlight bulbs is fubar...so I'm waiting on some 3.5K HID bulbs...going for the yellow look (when the headlights are on)...trunk carpet is in....trunk wiring cover is on.
All in all, the trunk looks awesome \:D/
Hooked up some more engine bay stuff, but still no muffler. #-o
Hopefully going to fire this thing up on Wednesday [-o<

petevw

Postby petevw » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:02 pm

ohhh yeah!!!
'02 996 C4S
'05 999R
'05 V70 T5
'01 TDI
'72 Super
'65 21w
'52 Split

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:55 pm

IT'S ALIVE!!!!! \:D/
Finally connected up the fuel lines...originally had the two connections on the fuel pump backwards #-o
Fixed that.
Cranked it with the coil wire off to get the oil pressure up...connected the coil up...but it just cranked and cranked...wouldn't catch :-k
Yeah...helps if you don't knock condenser wire off the coil =D>
Hit the key...BLAMMO! Smile

After that I just did some minor finishing...installed the rear seat base...installed the heater box to body flex hoses. Put some Castrol 80W90 in the tranny.

Unfortunately I found some pin holes in the heater boxes and in the stock muffler I was donated...so I patched them up...stuff should be set up tomorrow for me to install the exhaust, hook up the throttle cable and off I go.

So yeah...hopefully maiden voyage for 2010 tomorrow [-o<

frvngn

Postby frvngn » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:22 pm

=D>
_FahRVergNüGeN___________________________
Ron

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:01 pm

2 steps forward...5 steps back.
The front tin (in FRONT of the fan) didn't fit worth shit...couldnt get the throttle cable tube into it from the shroud....got fed up, removed it to tweak it...ended up having to undo the fuel line...got an armpit full of petrol #-o
Soaked my shirt, almost got lit on fire by a careless smoker...decided F-this...I'm going home!
On the way home...got rear ended on the 404 in traffic.
:-({|=
Yeah.
Time for some Creemore and Top Gear.
FML

Tuned Perfection

Postby Tuned Perfection » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Crazy Hungarian wrote:On the way home...got rear ended on the 404 in traffic.
:-({|=

What were you driving?
Greg

If you can't run with the big dogs....

Stay on the porch.

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:57 am

thankfully my mk2 Jetta TD....which now has two license plate bolt holes in the rear bumper....if I had been in my mk1 Jetta with its euro bumpers...well...I don't want to think about that...probably would have written off another one [-X

hitlersride

Postby hitlersride » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:10 am

im glad you are okay.

sounds like you had "one of those days"

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:42 pm

weekend update

Saturday

Painted up the heater boxes with some black bbq paint and tossed them on with a used muffler until the new one comes in the mail in 1-2 weeks.
Hooked up the heater box to fan tubes, sorted the throttle cable.
And fired it up! Smile
And after it warmed up a bit...started pissing oil from the oil pump/filter cover. #-o ](*,)
Gah
FML
Near as I can tell the brown aircraft type gasket sealer I used was not doing its job...course...its been sitting in my tool box since 03-04...so maybe 6 years was too long
So, out came the breast plate, off came the belt...and after some destructive prying and hammering...the crank pulley came off and then the oil pump.
one thing I like about this aftermarket one, they cast a lip into the bottom corner to help with prying it out =D>
So yeah, popped it out, thankfully had some new gaskets handy and some Ultra-Grey silicone.
Drained the oil and clean all the surfaces.
Banged it back togeather, and grabbed one of my spare pulleys and hit it with the wire wheel, the brake cleaner and some more VHT black wrinkle paint.
At that point I decided to pack it in and head home.

Sunday

Hit Crappy Tire, got some more Castrol 30W.
Checked the torque on the oil pump cover, put some oil in it and fired it off and waited and yes...[-o<
And I'm delighted to report...no leaks \:D/
At that point I decided to try and hasten the wrinkle finish curing with my halogen shop lamp, hooked up the flaps on the fan shroud
Reinstalled the decklid, adjusted the clutch and finally...after nearly 8 months...put it back down on all four wheels.
Then spent 2 hours oogling it =P~
And doing little stuff like tightening the side view mirror, oiling the hinges, adjusting the decklid....etc etc etc
Perhaps Tuesday I'll install the pulley, do some fine tuning, and give it a bath and a wax and take some pics
Forgot how low this car is 8-[ O:)

paulow

Postby paulow » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:20 pm

saweeet!
gonna be ready for bug fest?

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:56 pm

paulow

saweeet!
gonna be ready for bug fest?

Hells Yeah! O:)

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:39 am

one thing...I'm on the lookout for.

Does anybody have a rusty rear H apron....I really only need the latch portion....but yeah....if anybody on here is replacing / had replaced their rear apron and they have the old one kicking around...I will happily buy it....just need one to canabalize for the latch section

hitlersride

Postby hitlersride » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:05 am

doesn't lophat have a spare H apron???

Crazy Hungarian

Postby Crazy Hungarian » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:50 am

nope...messaged him...no luck...search continues.

As for the bug, its all buttoned back up, after the fun times I had with the crank pulley, and given that the motor is in the car, I decided to have some fun and try an old trick I saw in HotVW's years ago...put the crank pulley on the never used coffee maker up here....let it warm up to the point where I could almost not hold it...sure enough it slipped on beautifully, no hammering...no complaints. \:D/
rear plate back on, everything hooked up....just need to time it and adjust the carb.

Tonight I'm going to clay bar it and give it a coat of wax and take it to the local cruise night here in Georgetown.
Pics to follow.
I'm ready to kill the local weather guy though...been promised nice weather all week....they change it to cloudy this morning....and we got rain! #-o
Car did well, brakes feel good, steering is decent, adding the front shocks really improved the ride on the front end.
Still getting some odd noises from the tranny-engine area...but I'm sure some extra miles will sort it out [-o<
Some cool stuff that showed up...this Studebaker for example.

Return to “Canadian corner”