Parkway Projects "fix Everything"!!!

AKA The Thursday Club.
Franz

Re: Parkway Projects "fix Everything"!!!

Postby Franz » Wed May 17, 2017 7:19 am

I wrapped this project up yesterday. It took me 60 hours To remove, disassemble, clean, reassemble, install, run, tune, oil change and valve adjust on a Painter's rebuilt 1914cc. I also did brake job, along with a bunch of straitening/welding on ripped fenders and bent bumpers.

Its not the prettiest car. But definitely a good base to start with. Almost no rust, no collisions. Its mechanically perfect now.

I'd say next thing to tackle would be the interior, as it is disintegrated from sitting out in the sun. Or paint job. Or both.

JWDII

Postby JWDII » Wed May 17, 2017 7:47 am

Another life saved by Franz, You are definitely going to VW heaven! \:D/
"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
-- St. Francis Of Assisi.

scottsain
Bryan Adams

Postby scottsain » Wed May 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Will it stay outside? I hope not!

What's the shop rate for that kind of work?

Oil those filters!
VW Drag Night 2017!
July 7-8
Orangeburg Dragstrip, Neeses SC
www.vwdragnight.com
BE HERE! FREE FOOD! FREE DRINKS! FAST CARS! LOOSE WOMEN!
www.facebook.com/VWDragNight

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Thu May 18, 2017 5:49 am

That classic vintage TMI interior would be awesome in this Rig!! Smile Smile Smile That and a good scrub on the outside to get off the oxidation! Smile Hubcaps????? :-k

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu May 18, 2017 7:08 am

$60/hr for all work here. Probably should go up.

Its hard to think about raising the hourly rate. I feel like I'm constantly battling the bottom line. I over-shot my estimate on this job by $1000 #-o

She will be here today to take delivery of the car, and pay the bill. I think shes going to be happy, but you never know.

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:32 pm

It takes time to put these things together properly and time is money. 60 hours for a full mechanical overhaul and some body work touch ups, all in one place, you've got to be happy with that!

Notchyours

Postby Notchyours » Thu May 18, 2017 7:02 pm

It just takes what it takes. I've been satisfied with every dollar I've ever spent at KCW. Hope to spend more.
Franz wrote:
I like seeing our customers cars get beat-up. Rock chips and scratches are cool.

68tintop

Postby 68tintop » Thu May 18, 2017 8:23 pm

Like Dan said very Smile Smile Smile with every dollar spent and hope to spend more. Can't count how many times I have enjoyed my bus. Hard to find a vw shop like Kcw! \:D/

Dario

Postby Dario » Thu May 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Notchyours wrote:It just takes what it takes. I've been satisfied with every dollar I've ever spent at KCW. Hope to spend more.
68tintop wrote:Like Dan said very Smile Smile Smile with every dollar spent and hope to spend more. Can't count how many times I have enjoyed my bus. Hard to find a vw shop like Kcw! \:D/

Word to your mom!!! \:D/
Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.

Franz

Postby Franz » Fri May 19, 2017 6:03 am

I need to get Dan's 8 passenger bay window in the shop for a engine install and other stuff. Very soon.

Franz

Postby Franz » Fri May 19, 2017 7:33 am

Gerhard's 99 Mexico taxi in for some pesky oil leaks. The entire bottom side of the engine was saturated with oil/sludge.... it was hard to pin-point exactly where the oil was coming from. I started with pulling the engine to do a main seal and oil cooler seals.

Super-cool factory fuel injection. Simple and easy to work on. Modern technology. Not like 70's f/i junk.

Glad I decided to tackle the oil cooler. Check out this little guy that was causing the engine to over-heat. Zero airflow between the cylinders. Plugged with sludge too.

Also notice the collapse-able push rod tubes. I'm not sure if this was a 99 mexican thing...or if someone has messed with it before. At any rate the o-rings and seals were cooked hard and brittle from mr. mouse.

Many usual things about this car. Check out the front jack points, swing axle, and covered IRS pivot location. Also note the red over-spray on the pan indicating that these beetles where painted on the chassis unlike their German counterparts.

Jdawg

Postby Jdawg » Fri May 19, 2017 9:11 am

I exchanged emails with John a couple days ago. My plan is to cruise out from CA in sept and drop off my car for some Franz love'n. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

willmoss

Postby willmoss » Fri May 19, 2017 9:38 am

In unrelated news, the little bit of jerky I found underneath the 99 beetle was delicious!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
fuckin willy

Bret

Postby Bret » Fri May 19, 2017 10:07 am

Franz wrote:Super-cool factory fuel injection. Simple and easy to work on. Modern technology. Not like 70's f/i junk.

Good amount of guys using that EFI intake setup on mild displacement motors (small strokers to around 1900cc's) and doing blow through turbos on them. Simplistic design that can put down close to 200HP pretty easy.

scottsain
Bryan Adams

Postby scottsain » Fri May 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Bret wrote:Good amount of guys using that EFI intake setup on mild displacement motors (small strokers to around 1900cc's) and doing blow through turbos on them. Simplistic design that can put down close to 200HP pretty easy.

FB_IMG_1468693142379.jpg
FB_IMG_1468693142379.jpg (84.93 KiB) Viewed 243 times
VW Drag Night 2017!
July 7-8
Orangeburg Dragstrip, Neeses SC
www.vwdragnight.com
BE HERE! FREE FOOD! FREE DRINKS! FAST CARS! LOOSE WOMEN!
www.facebook.com/VWDragNight

Return to “KCW current projects”