Ruby red '63 Project bug

1967kombi

Ruby red '63 Project bug

Postby 1967kombi » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:59 am

I've been a bit out of things for a while, due to divorce and major life changes. I sold pretty much all the cars I had, except for a half share of a bay Westy with a buddy.

I spotted this for sale on Facebook in Northern Sweden a few weeks ago. I had no spare money, so I sold a couple bikes, an original Tamiya sand scorcher and a few parts and made it mine. Here is a pic from the vendor.
It's been sitting outside for years and was covered in thick moss. I shipped it over on a boat from Sweden without going to see it, as it fits my plans as far as build year and has cloth seats and a factory eberspacher heater. Plans are for a stock height patina driver car, hopefully one that I can fulfill a dream in of driving to Nordkapp (the north cape of Norway) in the winter. Will update with arrival pics and getting started, but it will be back burner status for a couple of months. It has a nice patina decklid on it, but the wrong year, so a '63 correct decklid was included, but I need to paint match it. Here's a few pics for now.

Last edited by 1967kombi on Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

jb

Re: Ruby red '63 Project bug

Postby jb » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:08 am

Think I was just checking this car out on IG!?! :-k

Looks like will clean up real nice! What's the big ass knob under dash?

1967kombi

Postby 1967kombi » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:41 am

What's your IG handle Jb?

The big ass knob is the 24 hour timer for the eberspacher heater; you can set it so the car is toasty every morning before you get in it to drive to work \:D/

It also still has the sump mounted engine oil warmer fitted.

jb

Postby jb » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:27 pm

1967kombi wrote:What's your IG handle Jb?

The big ass knob is the 24 hour timer for the eberspacher heater; you can set it so the car is toasty every morning before you get in it to drive to work \:D/

It also still has the sump mounted engine oil warmer fitted.

No way! That's so rad!!

@buchanvw on IG Wink

1967kombi

Postby 1967kombi » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:37 pm

Cool. Yeah I'm barefootdriver on there Wink

1967kombi

Postby 1967kombi » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:45 am

So I decided to do a clean up and moss removal. My buddy Johnny came over and we used bathroom mould spray, soapy water and green kitchen sponge scourers.
Here's the before:
And here's some after pics:
Wet...
Dry...
A small section buffed out...
Then it was onto removing all the rotted out carpet, homebrew rubber mats, leaves and rubbish. I leaned on the pass. Seat and it sank through the floor. When we removed it, my foot went through. Feels good to have it cleared out. All the rear luggage area, front and rear bumper mounts, etc seem really good and solid. Just need to save up for some green channels and German quality pans.

PeteSC

Postby PeteSC » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:10 am

I know you're going stock height and patina, but I saw this on IG and had to share. It's badass.

https://instagram.com/p/BN2XZ7-hgOp/

Keep chipping away at yours....it's looking good.
Meh.

1967kombi

Postby 1967kombi » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:32 am

That one looks awesome. I still love the look of lowered, but I want something I can drive anywhere. My last lowered bug pretty much beached on a pile of stones in the road, on the one occasion I took it for a countryside drive ](*,)

1967kombi

Postby 1967kombi » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:17 pm

I had a stroke of luck a few days ago, when a friend on Instagram contacted me with a killer deal on the correct year rear seat.
The original front seats are there and are cloth, with this pattern. Eventually I hope to get them redone; this cloth is available from Himmelservice in Germany.

My other small concern when buying the car, was the absence of the original door cards. I didn't really want TMI replacement ones. I saw these on eBay a couple of weeks ago, but they were too expensive. The auction ended and they were unsold. I messaged an offer a week or more after the auction had ended and managed to get them for half the original buy it now price. I paid £80 for the set and with a little love, they'll be perfect. They even came off a Swedish car and have a 1967 Swedish tax disc on them!
The car was found by the previous owner with no decklid on. This accounts for the seized engine; it's a Vw factory replacement case, missing most ancillary parts, but still has distributor and one stale air heat exchanger on. It is seized solid; presumably from being open to the elements without an inlet manifold or rocker covers on. I will try to clear out the inlet ports and fill with diesel or Marvel mystery oil, to see if I can free it up and strip for rebuild.
The PO threw on this matching patina '65 decklid
But also included a correct '63 lid into the deal.
I want the correct lid on the car, so will buff out the '65 lid and hang it on the wall, then strip and repaint the correct year lid for the car. It's factory black on the back side and I need to find and weld on the spring hanger and, of course, match the patina.
I write for a couple of VW magazines and this little project update will be in the next Volksworld magazine Image
Lastly for now, it was my birthday 2 days ago and my best buddy and Vw partner in crime blew me away with an original Swedish '63 instruction manual, parts price list and VW dealer map, in the original wallet. I was so stoked with this!!!

Franz

Postby Franz » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:55 pm

Looking good. Nice score on the interior parts. Excited to see what you do with it.

burwin

Postby burwin » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:30 am

Welcome back man - Nice plan, I got my 60 up as far as bergen Norway on a trip via Amsterdam & Copenhagen.

Fantastic country side in Norway. I hope to return and get the bus up into the Arctic Circle one day (if thats possible- hav'nt looked into it yet). So not in anyway to move you from your plans, but seen this??? Reminds me of your 63.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659386
I want a real garage

1967kombi

Postby 1967kombi » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:34 am

Great you got to do some exploration; I'd like to do a lot of road tripping in this car one day.
I did see Jason's project, badass car and believe me, it's so tempting to lower this. I just need a car I can use, without bottoming out everywhere ](*,)

sixfootdan

Postby sixfootdan » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:55 am

Looks like a fun project, I'm looking forward to seeing progress pics.

1967kombi

Postby 1967kombi » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Thanks! Can't wait to start, but it may be a little while ](*,)

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”