Old but not a VW

bug-ugly

Old but not a VW

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:00 pm

Hi all,
Long time lurker, one time poster. I guess this is post #2. I'm not really sure if this belongs here, or in B.S., or even on this forum at all? 8-[ Let me know...

I introduced myself and my '63 bug here about two years ago, then I disappeared. What happened is I got a wild hair and decided to sell the bug #-o . Then, a couple weeks later I dragged this home (well, to my dad's place as I don't have a garage).

It's a '27 tall T coupe, T frame, 40-ish front axle drum to drum with wishbone, two spare cowls and a spare door. I'll end this post here to see if the pictures are loading properly.

bug-ugly

Re: Old but not a VW

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:27 pm

Cool, pics are working.

She was pretty rough. I probably gave a bit too much for it but I wanted to build something wild, didn't want to cut up a good car or anything. Plus, I wasn't even sure if I could make this happen. First big build. What to do but dive in and try?

First order of business was lose the existing floor, free the door hinges (rusted shut) and just clean it up in general. Half of the hinges had to be cannibalized from a spare cowl. The others would NOT come out of the body and had to be weld repaired. Don't have a good pic of that. Evil evil hinges. I think I spent a full week on hinges alone.

After that, I acquired a 9" rear axle and "runner" SBC 350 from craigslist and started on the frame. I bought a stick of 2X4X.12 wall tube, found a level spot on the garage floor and built the rear kick-up. Kind of just winging it on most of my dimensions. Don't remember why I made the lower bars so long #-o Probably because I didn't understand 4-link suspension geometry at that point and just thought it looked cool :-& . Just one of many things that were done 2, 3, or more times to get it the way I wanted.

Then, split the wishbone and step the front of frame. Again, a lot of guesstimation happening at this point. I added some temp. x members, then cut and stacked the frame rails in the front and made plate gussets for all weld joints on the frame. The wishbone originally had the spring in front of the axle. I cut off the horns that the shackles mounted to, reshaped the ends of the bones, and turned the sway bar mounts/perch pins 90* for a spring over axle front end. shackles are trailer units and rod ends are from heavy duty CAT top links bought from the local farm store.

Not pictured (yet): Spring is a Speedway unit. All else is O.G. '40 Ford down to the lever action shocks.

Last edited by bug-ugly on Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:47 pm

I determined the position of the front step by taking a measurement from rear axle position in the rear wheel well to the front of the cowl, then subtracted 6" (I planned to shorten the cowl). The front frame rails were intentionally left long. I then set the front axle under the frame 105" from rear axle and marked where to cut the front frame rails and mounting position of bones. Anywhere a bolt goes through the frame, I welded in a steel sleeve.

I cut the front rails where I marked them and started to brainstorm the front crossmember. I didn't want box tubing up front, So I used a 2 3/8" O.D. .19 wall tube. I got that welded in, and then made long pie cuts to taper the front of the rails from 4" down to 2 3/8". I left the top and bottom pieces of the box tubing long to wrap around the front of the cross member

I ground the welds a little but not completely smooth. I don't like to grind too much on a weld that is structural.
Next, I created this pile of crap, which I wound up cutting back off the very next day. Too bulky looking. I built a lot simpler, smaller perch that the spring goes over instead of under. Maximum suicide. No, really I did some searching and that seems to have always been an acceptable way to mount the spring.

Last edited by bug-ugly on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:04 pm

Some more chassis pics. At this point, I still hadn't shortened the rear lower bars, nor had I redone the axle mounting brackets for the shocks and four bars, otherwise the suspension was done. Sort of.

Found some chrome steelies on craigslist for $200 and some L78 Firestone WWW (rears only) for $175. Had to pay full price for new fronts #-o . I think those were like $400.

Last edited by bug-ugly on Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:12 pm

Sweet Build!!!! =D> =D> =D> Keep us updated!!!! Smile

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:20 pm

Inspiration:

Contemplation:

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:46 pm

After getting the chassis rolling (on wide whites! \:D/ ) I turned my attention back to the body, specifically bringing that roof down to reality.
Initially, I was gonna do something stupid and just wack 10" out of the roof. I dialed myself back and started with 6". Having never chopped a roof before, I just marked where I thought it looked best to cut. I didn't like the mail slot rear window on that green car, either. I had a plan to cut the rear window in half and take 2" out of it and 4" from below it.

The brick wall above the windshield was scavenged from a spare cowl. I drilled the spot welds out of it and split it to weld in T-nuts to replace the wasted D-nuts for mounting of the windshield frame, then welded it back together. It is secured to the A pillars with like 8 or 10 screws (original). At some point I will burn it in, as well, for structural integrity.

I used 1/2 box tubing to brace between B pillars and A pillar to B pillar. Then I cut it. 6" was the magic number (that's what she said :-# ). I don't think I have any pictures before I welded it. In the pictures, you can kind of see how the pillars all had to be pie cut to line up. Since I'm not much of a paint and body guy (yet), and this thing ain't getting painted, I used a spray bottle filled with 1 part water, 1 part white vinegar, one part hydrogen peroxide, and some table salt to "blend" the welded areas to the rusty ass finish. The cowl is also cut off 6" at this point.

WAAAYYYYYYY BETTER! \:D/

Last edited by bug-ugly on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:48 pm

rustabus wrote:Sweet Build!!!! =D> =D> =D> Keep us updated!!!! Smile

Thanks! It's going to take a few more posts to get to it's current status. (spoiler alert) IT DRIVES!

jb

Postby jb » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:58 pm

Badass build man! I likey!! =D> =D>

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:06 pm

Finally hit 1 year at my job in May 2015 and got a week PTO. Took that between two weekends for a total of 9 days off in July 2015 (Not smart). It was 105* the entire time but I took the time off, so I had to work through it. Lots of cancer repair. I left some of the perforation in the belt line and on the trunk lid, but all the structural shit at the bottom was replaced using O.G. T metal from the other cowls. The body support rails are 1X2X.083 tubing pie cut twice. Also welded in a length of 1X1 behind the dash for mounting of the column drop and installed a set of bear claw latches from hotrodlatches.com

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:33 pm

I also had to replace the lower 2" of the driver door using a passenger door section but I don't have pics of that. It was kind of intricate to repair. I hung the doors using 1/4" clevis pins from the farm store. I forget when, exactly, but I picked up a Chrysler grill shell for like $60. It was missing the emblem so I filled the hole, shortened it several inches and added an expanded metal screen.

I did some mock up with the Chrysler shell, but I scored a '26-'27 T shell at the Firebird fall swap. I fabricate the lower section using some round tubing cut in half, 1/4" round bar, and 20 gauge sheet. I also added the expanded metal screen. I traded the Chrysler shell to a buddy for a spun aluminum gas tank.

Built some headlight brackets with a tab to also mount the radiator out of 1/8" plate. Lights are Speedway sealed beam cheapies with paint stripped, tossed around, banged up and rusted out buckets to match the rest of the car.

Also pictured are bomber bucket seats V1.0. They never saw any action, though. I used the sides and scrapped the rest.

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:35 pm

jb wrote:Badass build man! I likey!! =D> =D>

Thank, you. It has been a labor of love--tons of work. But complaining about the workload in a place like KCW forum is like playing the worlds smallest violin. Haha.

More to come soon.

K Leake

Postby K Leake » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:45 pm

Very cool =D> =D>
Kevin

George
I'll trade ya

Postby George » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:51 pm

Looking good !

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:54 pm

I worked on the car into October '15. I ordered a weld-it-yourself lakes header kit from Speedway and put it together, hand mitering all the tubes, welding from the inside and port matching with a die grinder. I bolted the flanges to the motor (in car) and tacked the cones on. Adjusted by eye and then bolted to some junk heads to weld the rest of the tubes in. Later, I added the flanges on the cones in case I wanted to run turnouts. I have some header wrap that I will install this spring when the motor has to come back out.

The original windshield frame was way too far gone to use, so I made a new one from 1" U-channel and a piano hinge. I used the original sliders and welded the original bolt plates to the A pillars.

I had also picked up some LED '39 Ford style tail lights off craigslist and installed them in the section beneath the trunk lid. I never liked the lights because the entire housing was plastic, as well as the lens. I also felt they looked like an after thought just slapped on the back, so I ordered some better quality units from speedway (steel housing and trim ring and glass blue light lenses) and frenched them in 1/2". That was my last project of the year and everything got stacked in pieces on one side of my dad's garage for the winter.

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”