Old but not a VW

bug-ugly

Re: Old but not a VW

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:14 pm

One other thing I did in '15 was build a visor skin using what I call the "redneck dimple die" technique. I saw this on Ian Roussell's Full Custom Garage show. The premise is simple. Make a hole and use some common garage item to form the rolled edge. I made a buck out of a chunk of 2X6. I used two hole saws, one for the visor skin and another 3/4" bigger for the buck. I took a gas cylinder top and welded a piece of 1/4" plate to the threaded end. I nailed the buck to a piece of plywood and put a sharpie dot in the center so I could eyeball the 20 ga sheet centered over the buck. Then use a 5lb sledge to hammer the "form tool" until it gets stuck in the hole, then flip it over and tap the gas cap out. Then I welded the skin to the original visor frame and cleaned up the welds and applied rust mist. I also used this method, along with a bead roller scored at the fall swap, to make some door panels a couple of months ago.

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:23 pm

Being that I don't have my own garage (or a social life :-" ), I can't really get shit done from Nov. - Mar. It was killing me not being able to do shit last winter, so I got back into building in 1/24. Last winter's creations:

Last edited by bug-ugly on Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:34 pm

Fast forward to March 2016. Time to get back to work and hit it f'ing hard with the goal of driving by May. That did not happen, but ya gotta try.

I bought this gasser style pedal from Speedway. The pedal was way too tall, the linkage was a crappy piece of 1/4" round bent at 90* on each end with a nylon bushing in the slot and super lame strap clamp B.S. affixing the cable housing to the base. I cut the pedal off at the top of the "knurled" pattern and took it to work. I had Lou weld the upper boss back on at the top of the pedal and weld the first inch of the slot shut. Then had a programmer make some code to re-cut the slot with the same ramp but 3/4" shorter. I re-milled the slot, milled off the heel rest, made a new linkage with bronze bushings, and made a proper cable stop with barrel adjuster out of '90's BMX brake parts.

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:56 pm

Next thing I did was attack the floor and firewall. I chanelled the body 4" over the frame to hide the frame rails. I tacked some 2X4 box to the underside of the frame rails and set the body over the frame to start the sub floor. The subfloor is 1X2 and 1X1 with 6 mounting holes (with tubing welded through). The drive shaft tunnel is angled because the axle pinion is not centered. Should have bead rolled the floor panels. Oh well, live and learn.

I was a stickler about the wheelbase because I do not like mile long rods. Seems like that would hinder performance (handling) and that ain't what rodding is about, IMO. As a result, I wound up recessing the firewall 4" on top of the 6" I had previously cut off for a total of 10" of engine set-back. I had to make the dizzy cut out quite a bit wider than in these pics. Starting to have a 50's drag car vibe.

At that time, it was getting to be too much of a chore to get the body on and off, even with a helper, so I built a hoist with 1000lb rated pullies, cable and a come-along.

In pic 3, you can see the cheese dick pedal linkage and the finished column drop.

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:49 pm

Previously, I had purchased a torch head, regs., and hoses from craigslist. I forked out some cash for oxy and acetylene bottles (whatever size is the next down from Q). I had an issue with drag link clearance and the lower water neck of the radiator. I heated and dropped the spindle steering arms (same age-old mod as used for tie rod/wishbone clearance when running a dropped axle), cleaned them up, and took them to work for magnaflux check. After I got the green light from NDT, I pressed in new king pin bushings and honed them to fit the new king pins. With the refurbed spindles installed, I installed new shoes, springs, and seals from Bob Drake Reproductions. Wheel cylinders and soft lines are Speedway units and wheel bearings are repacked O.G. 40 Ford running in O.G. drums, unturned. Luckily the drums were in decent shape.

Out back, I pulled the center section and axles. Installed new axle seals and rehabbed the brakes with off the shelf cylinders, shoes, springs, and deleted the e-brake (for now). The center section had a going through in the process of installing a JEGS chromoly mini-spool. I kept the 3.25 r&p for the time being and set pinion bearing preload with a new crush collar (will replace with Richmond 3.7 gears and solid pinion spacers this spring). Also set backlash and carrier bearing preload at that time.

Master cylinder and pedal assy. are Speedway units. The pedal assy. was designed for the inside of the frame rail. I had to disect it and weld it back together backwards to fit on the outside of frame rail. Hardlines are a 25ft. roll of 3/16" brake line and a bag of tube nuts (had to buy 2 different tube benders and a flaring tool). Other items of interest: Wilwood residual valves, Wilwood proportioning valve, in-line T with brake light switch.

Steering box can be seen in some pics. It's a craigslist Vega box, zero drop pitman from JEGS or Summit (can't remember), Speedway drag link, O.G. tie rod with new tie rod ends.

Also, at this point the axle brackets and lower 4 bars have been re-worked.

Last edited by bug-ugly on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:13 pm

Lots of other little shit had to be done. I don't have great pics of all of it. I was gifted a '36 Chevy column. I modified it and tried to use it, but wound up getting a Speedway hot rod column with quick release hub for $90. Both steering wheels (have two "500" wheels, one wood grain, one green metallic vinyl) came from the spring swap this year. Also, ditched the original Vega steering damper in favor of a solid 3/4DD and u-joint set up and welded a tab at the bottom of the column to bolt it to the fire wall.

I ordered a Speedway speedo but went MOON with the rest of the gauges. Initially, I just had Speedo, oil pres., and water temp gauges. I used the O.G. chrome dash bezel for the smaller gauges. However, I later added a volt meter and didn't think it would look right next to the two gauges in the bezel. It killed me to not use that bezel, but I think it was for the better. I cut the pressed section out and welded in some 20ga. to house the three MOON gauges and switches. Tach is column mounted.

Built a battery tray out of 18ga. The battery is located under the pass. seat. The cables are 0 or 00 gauge, can't remember, but I had to run them through the frame to get to the inside of the frame rail. Had to connect body to frame, frame to block ground straps, etc. Wiring is an accessory fuse block and terminal block from Painless Wiring.

You can also see the body mounts in the frame, which are 3/8-16 flange nuts welded into heavy 1/8" thick washers from both side, then washer welded to frame rail, and ground smooth

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:46 pm

Random pics:

Also, I made some new seats. They both hinge forward to access battery and for behind driver seat storage. They use a slim line bear claw latch (smaller version) built into the bottom of the seat frame. The sides came from the first seat attempt. The frame is welded together and the sides are riveted on for looks and to act as gussets. The padding is egg-crate and high density foam, wrapped in burlap, then military canvas tarp and tacked into plywood from the back. Seat pads are then bolted to tabs on the frames (t-nuts were installed in the wood bases before "upholstering").

I built a tunnel cover but it was too bulky looking. See, the frame is stepped 4" at the cowl, and then the body is channeled 4". So, the motor and tranny think they're channeled 8". I don't really see a way around this. I scrapped this piece and made a surround that hugs the transmission a little closer, but it's mostly open for now. The shifter is a home made base with some pieces from a Ford Aerostar. It's loosely modeled after a Lokar trans. mount shifter. I had to reposition some of the notches in the selector plate by welding and filing. The handle and button were turned on a manual lathe at work.

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:05 pm

This last post is more or less where I'm at now. I got it fired up and running decent in the beginning of Sept. Put a few short shake down runs on it, checked for leaks, etc. Took it to a lame ass Cars and Coffee rice-fest but also to the '16 fall swap out at Firebird raceway. Pretty fun and fast. I want to put in a roll bar/4 point cage. I took a trip to Idaho city and back a month or so ago and I'll just say that 90 mph is HAIRY in this beast :-s =; . It also puked at least a qt of trans fluid from the front pump, covering the entire underside of the car from the trans back, so a new trans is gonna happen (this one is $100 TH350 LOTTERY TRANNY).

Spring time plan is 3.7 R&P, solid pinion spacer, B&M 350 trans, new flex plate, tune dizzy centrifugal/vac advance curve, and then hit Bonneville for some land speed spectating! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:00 pm

Super Sweet Ride!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

sixfootdan

Postby sixfootdan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:34 pm

I'm curious about what you did for a title? Looks great by the way.

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:08 am

sixfootdan wrote:I'm curious about what you did for a title? Looks great by the way.

Thanks. Title was pretty easy, but expensive. Not sure how it is everywhere, but I have a three (I think) year conditional title. The body was sold on bill of sale, so anyone can still make claim if they have proof that I stole the body or something bunk like that. The dude drilled a couple of holes in the door jamb and hammered some rivets to secure a vin plate. Then made another appt. I, then, had to provide receipts for all the parts I bought, on top of the bill-o-sale. I then got taxed on the total that I'd spent up until inspection time. Any thing that I did not save receipts for (like metal, which was bought locally) I had to pay double tax on. I think it was $430 in taxes. The plate thing was a debacle, as well. I wanted to run it rusty. The statute more or less says it was fine. A couple of prima donnas in that office for sure. "Needs to be restored." I can't wait until my spray paint resto starts to rust through.

john jones

Postby john jones » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:03 am

Cool project.. Nice work, nice fabrocation skills.. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> Awesome ride!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:22 am

Great work =D>

BBWB

Postby BBWB » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:29 am

Just spent an hour and a half reading all this. Great build. I see you are in Idaho. Boise by chance?
Let me draw you a fucking picture!

bug-ugly

Postby bug-ugly » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:12 am

Thanks for the nice words. I don't think this build will ever be "done", but getting to this point has been a great learning experience and good practice. I have my eye on another air cooled and I think I'm finally ready to build one "right" and see it through to completion. Need to get schooled on some body and paint, though.

BBWB: I live in Meridian, ID.

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”