Stretched Highroof Camper

vwfool

Re: Stretched Highroof Camper

Postby vwfool » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:28 pm

Slowly making progress. My Gerson order showed up, some stuff was missing and some stuff was wrong. ](*,) He said he would take care of me, hopefully the "other stuff" gets here soon. Now I need to place a Wolfsburg West order in a few days so I have the rest of what I need to start digging into this.

Got all the doors (except the rear hatch) off the bus. I also got about 95% of the foam out. Some nooks and crannies behind the fuse block etc still to go but the majority of it is done. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Before:

After:

So now another question for the engine savy on here. I am planning to pull the engine soon. Along with that I am planning to get rid of the progressive carb, replace with a stock one, remove the old school electronic ignition and remove the external oil filter set up. Just trying to make it a lot quicker to install and remove the engine as it will be coming in and out quite a bit as I do work on this. Can I just remove the fitting on the left side of the engine block and replace it with a stock oil pressure switch and replace the fitting on the alternator stand with a stock stud and remove the oil filter set up? It looks like I can but wanted to make sure before I do it.
Picture for reference how it is set up.

andym

Postby andym » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:44 pm

Subaru bro!!!

Looks good, just head out in the shop for an hour a day.
Andy In Modesto

Maybe Subaru parts could fix it?

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:05 pm

Holy shit, they even foamed the floor!! Looks so much better without all of that garbage in there!

Removing the filter looks like no problem to me, it was just a simple bypass set up anyway.

Keep it up!
Living!

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:36 pm

Thanks Zac. I was hoping you would chime in on the engine thing. They foamed everything. Two more big ass contractor bags filled today with rust and foam. ](*,)

My wife asked me this evening why I didn't just put a sunroof on it like a 21 window limo. So I showed her a picture of Koch's old limo bus. She thinks I should do that and sell the highroof fiberglass top. ](*,)

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:09 pm

any pics of how the floor and frame are tied together, just out of curiousity?
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:52 am

I have some. I will post them tomorrow. It looks pretty solid how they did it.

volksaddict

Postby volksaddict » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:27 am

Good of you to save that poor thing. Looks soo much better - like a vw carcass now - without all that foam =D> =D>

K Leake

Postby K Leake » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:37 am

Maybe they was hoping the foam would add structural integrity to the bus ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) thats a lot of foam .
Kevin

PeteSC

Postby PeteSC » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:13 am

If there's ever a bus that's a candidate for a set of the triple RGB's it's this one. Extra long needs extra tall. Smile

Nice work cleaning it out, Scott.
Meh.

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:38 pm

I am hoping to get me a set or two of those triple reduction box housings. They look like they will be awesome.

More progress today. I pulled that Frantz oil filter system off and the oil lines. One less thing cluttering up what should be a simple engine bay, next is the ignition thing. I also forgot about the damn spare tire well. I had been so busy focusing on the front half of the bus. I had avoided cleaning this out earlier as it was wet and smelled like a septic tank from when I pressure washed this pig over a year ago. I finally kicked it's ass. I figured this would be rotted to hell and I would end up removing it so I had more sleeping room. Surprise surprise, still OG paint and not rusty. A bit of mold and some moisture still to deal with but no rust. \:D/

Before:

After:

Hopefully more progress today / this evening.

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:57 pm

Since I was asked how they were joined.............Whomever did this abomination did a descent job of welding the two buses together. Once the frame was welded together they ran this thick piece of steel front to back, no wonder it doesn't sag. The worst part of it is the drivers side on the inside of the bus were they cut off the walk thru walls. Other than that it's pretty descent and strong. Hell they even kept the heater pipe intact and connected. Probably can't feel heat for shit up front having to travel so far unless your turning 4ooo+ RPMs.

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:22 am

well done, really the only part that kills me is the roof. I know it helps with your height but if this had a stock height roof i would put wood floors in it and take off on a road trip. =D>
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Yeah I liked the roof at first. Now I kind of wished it was a hardtop.

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:54 pm

I dig the roof!
Living!

Franz

Postby Franz » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:02 am

That bus would be useless with a hardtop.

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”