Stretched Highroof Camper

vwfool

Stretched Highroof Camper

Postby vwfool » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:16 am

I bought this nearly two years ago after relocating to Oregon from Arizona. I was contacted by a guy in Tacoma, Washington and he offered me this bus. I must be well known for taking in the under privileged and less than engineered correctly when it comes to VW's. I got it fairly cheap considering and I only had one picture to go off of. I fell in love instantly. I have always wanted to take the family on a cross country road trip in a bus camping along the way. But with a family of 4 where do you put everything in a standard bus plus sleep 4 people. Problem solved!

So I drug this home and left it on my trailer with a tarp over it until I was able to move it to the house we bought a year ago. Thank goodness one of the garage spots is tall for a boat so this fits in the garage. The builder of this bus was a big believer in spray foam and must have done it for a living or had stock in the company that produced it. There is not one spot on the interior of this bus that was saved from the spray foam. The entire highroof, the front floor, backside of the nose, spare tire well, between the ribs of every panel etc.

So I scraped all the foam off the highroof, cargo floor and have started on the areas between the ribs of the body. I haven't started the front cab area yet ](*,)

I did gut all the back out if it. It had some crappy moldy cabinets, a broken fold out bed of unknown origin as well as a toilet/sink/shower closet type thing. Not to mention old socks, hiking boots and multiple survivalist books and magazines all dating prior to 1985.

I just sold the yellow '65 I briefly started working on. That bus fought me every step of the way and with the bills I had it needed to go away. It sold yesterday, yippie! So now what little is left from the paying everything off I am hoping to start buying replacement metal for it gradually as I keep trying to get rid of the spray foam.

The ultimate goal is to finish this bus in time to take the cross country trip in it after my daughter graduates high school in 2 years. I think I can make it as long as I stay focused. Kind of my weak point.
Last edited by vwfool on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

vwfool

Re: Stretched Highroof Camper

Postby vwfool » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:46 am

So I looked at the engine in depth for the first time after prying open the lid, the push button was rusted stuck. I knew this had an engine it but no idea what was in their. This is it.

It is full flowed from the oil sensor area to a remote filter and returns through one of the alternator stand studs. That doesn't seem like much oil flow getting filtered to me.

It is running some kind of electronic ignition. There is some sort of module on the left side and a funky set up eliminating the points in the distributor.

The carb is really odd. It is a Holley two barrel progressive mounted via an aluminum adapter to a stock 34 pict manifold. The air cleaner is a unique highflow unit \:D/

This bus hasn't been registered since 1985. Must be some state of the art Ricky Racer stuff from the 80's

The engine does turn over. Kind of makes me want to buy a battery to see if I could get it to fire up. :-k
Last edited by vwfool on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jb

Postby jb » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:00 am

Man o man this thing is wild! Is it super rusty from all the spray foam? Gonna be something to see it rolling down the road!! Still thinking subi to push this beast?

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:08 am

Yes I have been debating the Subi idea just based on how heavy this is especially once it has a new interior in it.
It is rusty. Been in Washington for at least the last 31 years outside. It's a beast of a project but I think we'll worth the effort. Plus I didn't want Rusty to feel like he is the only one with a bad highroof build.

andym

Postby andym » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:04 am

Did somebody say subi?
Andy In Modesto
"23 year olds don't know dick!!!" John Jones

john jones

Postby john jones » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:04 am

Scott threatened to bring that big ol peice of shit to me.. I said NO!!!!!!!!!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Working on my fortress of solitude.... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:38 am

Damn if you said no. It's got to be bad.
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

mtnbus

Postby mtnbus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:05 pm

badass !

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:15 pm

Yeah John was not a fan when I mentioned I should just save up my money and drop it off for the proper treatment. Damn it.

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:05 pm

The only bus I have ever seen with two rooms. Trick engine too!

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:15 pm

that is a late 70s early 80s mopar electronic ignition control box. very common in the original conversions of points to hei before the age of msd and such being so big to make them for everything.
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:56 pm

Holy shit they layed the foam on thicker than the one I'm working on!!

Subaru is the only way to go with that monster.
Living!

volksaddict

Postby volksaddict » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:08 am

=D> =D> The freightliner of busses =D> Cool project! Glad it's in your driveway though 8-[

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:08 am

It is hidden from site in the garage. I left the garage door open once while mowing the grass and someone stopped and tried to get me to sell it. I think the wife was pissed I didn't sell it. Plus the bus has a smell to it, hard to explain, rotting steel/foam?

I have decided I am going to buy a battery and see if I can get this to start. Should be a cheap thrill to see if it comes to life.

BBWB

Postby BBWB » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:33 am

Clean that carb before you try starting it. Probably plugged up like my nose in allergy season. Fresh gas to from a clean bottle hooked to the fuel pump. Any gas in the tank will be varnish or molasses. Have fun. \:D/
Let me draw you a fucking picture!

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”