Scott's '65 11 window

vwfool

Scott's '65 11 window

Postby vwfool » Tue May 10, 2016 8:44 pm

So here is the story on this one. I bought this bus out of Bellingham, Washington. On about 3.5 hours sleep I headed out to pick up a '65 bus I made a deal on with the owner over the phone. It's about 8 hours drive each way plus I hit rush hour in Seattle both ways ](*,) 3 of the 4 drums are rusted solid and won't turn. I couldn't even get the lugs on the rims to budge. After some creative engineering with floor jacks and a come a long the seller and I got this beast loaded in some brutal heat. All in all 20 hours on the road solo and I made it home.

My goal is to get this bus back on the road, mechanically reliable and do rust repair etc as I drive it. I am setting my birthday at the end of June as my goal to be driving this. It won't be pretty but at least I will enjoy it. I am still planning to split my time between this one and the short bus.

Today I started cleaning it out, what a frigg'n mess. I filled 4 big black contractor bags full of crap already. I want to get it completely cleaned out over the next couple days including removing what looks like a moldy headliner and plywood screwed into the cargo floor. I also soaked all 4 wheels with rust breaker so hopefully I can roll this off my trailer soon.

Tyzel

Re: Scott's '65 11 window

Postby Tyzel » Tue May 10, 2016 10:00 pm

[quote=
Image[/quote]

Man this wasn't looking so bad til I saw this, dayum! Is that expand a foam? Im sure you'll get that all handled. Be watching this one for sure!

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Tue May 10, 2016 10:26 pm

I am almost afraid to pull the homemade plywood door panels off in the back and see how bad it is. I am imagining a crap load of foam and rust. Thank goodness Gerson makes a tall long rocker panel.

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Wed May 11, 2016 1:20 pm

is that strap holding the door closed or holding the floor on??

from what I've seen you do with the shorty, this should be a walk in the park.

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Wed May 11, 2016 7:57 pm

That strap is holding the door against the bus. I made it about 4 miles down the highway after picking it up when the door flew open and folded around at 70mph. So I just closed it as best I could and strapped it up for the ride home. I am going to try and fix the door.

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Fri May 13, 2016 6:56 am

Finally got around to gutting the nasty homemade door panels etc out if this bus. The 70's must have been a great time to be alive and customizing your VW. Cutting the rear wheel skirts, screwing some fiberglass scoops into the side vents, and insulating the back of your entire bus. This thing had home insulation everywhere, behind the headliner, behind the door panels. Apparently it's great for holding water. It is far more rusty than I expected. Not sure how you can manage to rust out the area to the side of the gas tank that is vertical metal. So this little project of mine just got a whole lot more involved. ](*,)

Franz

Postby Franz » Fri May 13, 2016 7:10 am

Damn Scott, you're not having much luck in the rust department these days.

Those AZ busses you used to deal with look like cream puffs now.

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Fri May 13, 2016 7:45 pm

Yeah I was spoiled in Arizona. I guess it's the sacrifice to live where I walk out my front door and see the ocean every morning and fall asleep each night listening to the waves.

I guess I will just have to get better and learning how to do sheet metal work.

john jones

Postby john jones » Sat May 14, 2016 5:22 am

I like reading how much you like Oregon.... I didn't think you would EVER leave Phoenix!!!! No more 120 degree summers for you [-( [-( [-(
Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Sat May 14, 2016 6:44 am

Yes I am much happier in life. Job is better, weather is better, schools are better, and I have a garage for the first time since 2010.

If you ever come thru here you may realize you need to open a second location for KCW. \:D/

jb

Postby jb » Sat May 14, 2016 8:58 am

vwfool wrote:If you ever come thru here you may realize you need to open a second location for KCW. \:D/

Second kcw? =; [-X JJ is on wind down mode......couple more years he gonna be setting the boys up with a full plate of work and spending more time on Vancouver Island in Beautiful BRITISH COLUMBIA! =D> \:D/ haha

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Sat May 14, 2016 10:42 pm

Got a question for all of you out there. After 2 hours of beating and soaking the lugs I was able to break loose all of them. I only have one drum that turns, passenger rear. I smacked all of them with a mini sledge hammer. Any suggestions how to break the other 3 loose? I want to get this bus off the trailer and start tearing into it.

I am open to any good ideas. Never had this problem before.

andym

Postby andym » Sat May 14, 2016 10:58 pm

Take the wheel off and put heat to the outside edge of the drum all around it. It will stink like butthole I'm sure but should burn the brake shoes to break free from the drum
Andy In Modesto

Maybe Subaru parts could fix it?

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Sun May 15, 2016 5:06 am

Did you back the adjusters off? For the really stuck ones you'll need a puller.
Living!

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Sun May 15, 2016 7:04 am

Thanks for the input guys. This thing has odd rust in it. In the past I had stuck drums and could smack the drum and break the bond loose, not these. The fronts feel like they are welded on, I couldnt get anything to budge an inch.

My goal this coming week is to get the bus to roll off my trailer. Baby steps. ](*,)

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”