Coral Red Oval

omr_007

Re: Coral Red Oval

Postby omr_007 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:58 pm

Nope, sorry Pat! I got a night on it earlier in the week but Nug decided to pull his shinny oval into the shed next to where I was going to weld and grind [-X
We did a bit of a rearrange and got the body on a dolly and pan on the rotisserie so I can shift them around to put the pan in the dirty area to work on it.
I spent the rest of the night pulling down the gearbox and stripping all my brakes ready for degreasing and painting.
I degreased and water blasted the pan during my lunch break yesterday in preparation for sand blasting.
Looks like it might happen next week instead as its Thursday here already and I've got my own 'thursday club' which will take a few hours to get through ](*,) ](*,)
Will definitely share some assembly pics when the time comes!

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:40 pm

Decided to go a different route on the pan prep. After spending hours chasing pin holes in the rear halves I decided that if I let someone else blast it I'd probably have many more hours of wedding ahead if they went hard at it. I hit it hard with a stiff wire wheel and whatever opened up got either cut out and replaced or just welded up. Battery tray area was the worst naturally so I made a quick repair patch and shot it in. I then went and hit the whole bottom with the wire wheel again to get rid of any surface rust before treating the whole thing with rust converter. I'll go over that with a primer and then a good couple of thick coats of epoxy enamel top coat. I've found the pans I did in the past with 2K topcoat chipped really easy as the paints so hard. The epoxy enamel stays quite soft so it marks easily but it doesn't chip and start to rust like the 2K especially as we have a tendency to scrape around the place

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 pm

I should add that this isn't meant to be a 'restoration' it's more just to make it solid and remove the butthole from the last 60 years. The body will get the same, fix what REALLY needs fixing and leave the rest.

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:35 pm

Been pushing myself to get out into the shed at night for the last week. Its amazing how much you can achieve with as little as an hour or so a night.
Managed to get all my brake parts cleaned up and painted, started to reassemble backing plates and OG VW one piece boots on the axle tubes, one of my favorite geek out parts, thanks for the tips on that Franz =D>

Also got some paint on the underside of the pan last night so not far off from hanging some parts off it!

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:42 pm

Nice Job!!! I gotta get on that plan!! Just an hour a night sounds doable!!!! Smile Smile Smile

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:00 am

favorite Oval color!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Working on my fortress of solitude.... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Phat Bug

Postby Phat Bug » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:37 pm

Great to see it moving forward Dibba \:D/

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:33 pm

It's feeling good! O:)

Whole pile of prepared parts just waiting to be put on a painted pan! I pulled down all of the new brake cylinders and greased them ready for assembly. I also got the topside of the pan prepared in my lunch break so I just need to find some time to shoot some paint on it ...

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”