Coral Red Oval

omr_007

Re: Coral Red Oval

Postby omr_007 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:58 pm

Nope, sorry Pat! I got a night on it earlier in the week but Nug decided to pull his shinny oval into the shed next to where I was going to weld and grind [-X
We did a bit of a rearrange and got the body on a dolly and pan on the rotisserie so I can shift them around to put the pan in the dirty area to work on it.
I spent the rest of the night pulling down the gearbox and stripping all my brakes ready for degreasing and painting.
I degreased and water blasted the pan during my lunch break yesterday in preparation for sand blasting.
Looks like it might happen next week instead as its Thursday here already and I've got my own 'thursday club' which will take a few hours to get through ](*,) ](*,)
Will definitely share some assembly pics when the time comes!

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:40 pm

Decided to go a different route on the pan prep. After spending hours chasing pin holes in the rear halves I decided that if I let someone else blast it I'd probably have many more hours of wedding ahead if they went hard at it. I hit it hard with a stiff wire wheel and whatever opened up got either cut out and replaced or just welded up. Battery tray area was the worst naturally so I made a quick repair patch and shot it in. I then went and hit the whole bottom with the wire wheel again to get rid of any surface rust before treating the whole thing with rust converter. I'll go over that with a primer and then a good couple of thick coats of epoxy enamel top coat. I've found the pans I did in the past with 2K topcoat chipped really easy as the paints so hard. The epoxy enamel stays quite soft so it marks easily but it doesn't chip and start to rust like the 2K especially as we have a tendency to scrape around the place

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 pm

I should add that this isn't meant to be a 'restoration' it's more just to make it solid and remove the butthole from the last 60 years. The body will get the same, fix what REALLY needs fixing and leave the rest.

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:35 pm

Been pushing myself to get out into the shed at night for the last week. Its amazing how much you can achieve with as little as an hour or so a night.
Managed to get all my brake parts cleaned up and painted, started to reassemble backing plates and OG VW one piece boots on the axle tubes, one of my favorite geek out parts, thanks for the tips on that Franz =D>

Also got some paint on the underside of the pan last night so not far off from hanging some parts off it!

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:42 pm

Nice Job!!! I gotta get on that plan!! Just an hour a night sounds doable!!!! Smile Smile Smile

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:00 am

favorite Oval color!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I feel like a campfire in the rain.. :-&

Phat Bug

Postby Phat Bug » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:37 pm

Great to see it moving forward Dibba \:D/

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:33 pm

It's feeling good! O:)

Whole pile of prepared parts just waiting to be put on a painted pan! I pulled down all of the new brake cylinders and greased them ready for assembly. I also got the topside of the pan prepared in my lunch break so I just need to find some time to shoot some paint on it ...

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:06 pm

f@#k it's been a while! Back on the bandwagen of trying to get out to the shed. Jones' posting pursuasion has helped with the motivation.

It's definitely not easy to make progress at home instead of HQ. I thought I was ready to put my rear brakes onto the gearbox the other night but somehow I mistakenly ordered IRS seal kits instead of swing axle so I didn't have the gaskets and o-rings etc. I knew we had tonnes of spares in the workshop which would normally be at my fingertips but alas had to call it a night because a missing parts!

Been a few instances like that in the last week which pushes out progress but I'm about 1 night away from having a rolling pan.

PICS!

Front assembly went well

Finally some decent drop spindles instead of the usual Chinese gear

All new hard and soft lines

Big thanks to Dave Butler for the brand new bearing spacers

Rear brake assembly was a bit of a drawn out process but all sweet now!

German quality bearings and seals

Safety wires installed

Lottery trans was split and inspected. All syncros and gears looked sweet! Hard to tell what the bearings are like until you run it. Fingers crossed!

Just need to pack my front bearings with grease and put the front drums on and we should be rolling.

johnnymain

Postby johnnymain » Wed May 17, 2017 11:27 pm

What's the idea with the backing plates flipped?? Is there any advantage to that?? Never seen that on a bug but I know guys used to do it on busses back in the day??

Car looks awesome!!!!

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:52 pm

Thanks Johnny \:D/

On the front or rear?

Rears are as per original oval (as far as I know - handbrake cable over the axle with the cable entering from the rear).

The fronts I think are flipped as they didn't sit flush on the dropped spindle.
I tried them every different way and this was the only way that I could get the backing plate to sit nicely.

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu May 18, 2017 7:14 am

Looking good. I've tried to do projects at home. It sucks when you accustomed to working in a fully loaded shop.

jb

Postby jb » Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 am

Franz wrote:Looking good. I've tried to do projects at home. It sucks when you accustomed to working in a fully loaded shop.

I do next to fuck all in my home shop these days ](*,) everything is sooo much easier in the tripleJs compound =D>

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:52 pm

Thanks guys. Yep, sucks the big one! Got a little more done last night but same problem. Misplaced a dust seal off one of the OG tie rods, missing a bearing dust cap, missing a couple of shock washers/bolts etc etc ](*,)

Got one drum assembled and made a big list of shit to find. Stay tuned, hoping to nail it over the weekend [-o<

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:08 pm

she's a roller =P~ Had a quick wipe over and blow off and she's like new!

Gave the stock wheels a going over with some hand polish and put some tire shine on the old Olympic Air-rides 8-[

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”