Coral Red Oval

Phat Bug

Re: Coral Red Oval

Postby Phat Bug » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:06 pm

Sounds rad!
I'm looking into doing a lukey style exhaust on my 40hp Ken Virgin build.....

maybe we could do a 36hp one too \:D/

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:01 pm

Yeah Pat, ovals are the earliest thing you can really find here in oz. There are a few personal import splits and zwitters but you've got to be in the know as they usually change hands without even going to the open market. Tried a couple of times to secure one but whenever I had the money they weren't moving and they always pop up when the cashflow isn't there!

Damn Franz, I'd love to go all out on a 36er but I'm not sure the budget really allows. Not to mention the dollar is on par with the Canadian's! Maybe if some other toys sell in the meantime [-o<

You know me too well Rhettro :-$ see those carbs? ...
That kit in the pic is called a Monaro Motors kit. Rare as rocking horse shit. Going to make my own! They are H1 SU's. Hard to find!! Managed to get this one at a swap recently and got onto a Morris/Mini swap page on facespace and secured a couple more but they aren't great. Hopefully I can make 2 good ones out of the 3?

burwin

Postby burwin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:57 pm

Morris /Mini Does that mean their easier to find in UK?
I want a real garage

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:16 pm

I guess so? The SU carbs were designed and made in the UK since 1905 and continued production up to 1993 according to the wikipedia page and used on Morris, MG, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Rover, Riley, Turner, Austin, Jaguar, Triumph etc

To stay true to the original kit I wanted to use the same carbs which are the early H1 with the cast fuel bowl connection with the banjo bolt.
The later ones are really easy to find but they have a flexible line that connects the fuel bowl to the jet and look all wrong.
Also the H1's were a 1" 1/8th (28mm) which is perfect for a 36hp setup. The later carbs got bigger and bigger!

jb

Postby jb » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:12 pm

Cool beans man, thinking outside the ol box =D>

I built a turbo system around an SU carb years ago. Never got to run it but seemed like a neat theory of carb with the taper pin main jet....reminded me of the old motocross bikes I use to run.

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:06 am

Yeah the Su's sure are different to a fixed Venturi carb.
The Monaro motors company did heaps of different kits for all makes of cars in the '50s and '60s mostly using Su's.
There is plenty of old magazine and newspaper adverts showing their gear when you start searching.

jb

Postby jb » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:09 am

Ones I had were off a rover :-&

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:20 pm

Remember kids, check your valve adjustments and oil levels regularly. [-( [-( [-(

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:09 pm

Surely someone noticed a noise/problem before the rod melted??!?! ](*,)

john jones

Postby john jones » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:31 am

wow... that bent rod is something.. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:20 pm

I always get the old dudes at the petrol station telling me how unreliable vw's are and how they catch fire all the time.
I reckon its those dudes that never did any maintenance or servicing to these old things and just drove them until they melted rods and valves :-$
Surprisingly the case that had the bent rod in it looks to be largely unharmed :-s wont know until we torque it up, check with a straight edge and mic the mains.
Sent my heads off to be cleaned last week as they were baked with shit I couldn't even get off with a saw blade #-o
Also tee'd up a mate thats into his vintage speed to do a number on the heads for me, more on that as it happens!

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:25 am

Not much to share from this end, but even a little progress is better than nothing! Been sneeking in a few minutes here and there. Slowly getting engine parts ready for reworking. Heads have been soda blasted and soaked numerous times to get them clean. Ready to be sent off next week.

The process to remove the old guides for those interested ...

Also, this was a nice straight W deck lid when the deal was done but unfortunately the dude had a 'run in' with it when loading up. Sourced another one in the meantime but thought I'd give it a bit of love so I had the choice.

Not bad after the first round of beating ...

Hopefully more soon [-o<

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Got a few more minutes spare to dig a little deeper. Been preparing parts for cleaning, painting etc. and collecting as many missing/incorrect parts as I can.

No offence to the dude I bought it off but man, there was some seriously wrong shit lurking under there :x

There were no rear bearing cups on the spindles so the rear bearings had nothing to run on so the drums were wobbling around like crazy.

The backing plates had been put onto the drop spindles but none of the dirt or crud was cleaned off so once it had been driven on, the dirt worked loose and the backing plates became loose. The bolts to the backing plates weren't wired so they can't come loose either. One of the bolts wasn't even OG style with the hole to even wire it.

One of the king/link pin carriers was fucked. The carrier would move up and down on the king pin and clunk like crazy. Then after I shimmed that I realised that one of the link pin bushes was loose in the carrier. It wasn't the bush, it was the carrier itself. I had another one there so I swapped the kin pin bushes and pressed it all back together with the dropped spindles. The King pins and bushes were actually perfect believe it or not and so were the link pins!

All is sweet now with that gear. Big thanks to A couple of mates for gathering some parts and sending them up. Now I've got the correct oval brakes here so I can get the whole front end ready for painting and assembly.

Got the body off the pan only to realise that the pan head had had a big hit at some point. Doesn't look bad to the naked eye but one of he beam bolts is crooked as f@#k and once you sit a beam on there and eyeball it to the rear torsion housing its fuckin WAAAAYYYYY off. Not sure how to fix it yet but I'm sure it will come up ok.

Pat K

Postby Pat K » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:22 am

Frame head twisted or bent back?

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:57 pm

Twisted. Someone has also had a go at fixing it previously [-X [-X [-X The major give away is the beam doesnt sit flush in the frame head at all.
I dug out a spare pan that we had stashed away for another project. Cut the frame head off that as a donor in preparation for a swap.

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”