George
I'll trade ya

Re: 55 Single cab

Postby George » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:27 pm

Looking good =D>

Marc Ryan

Postby Marc Ryan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:45 pm

Hey Loosenuts I ran into a guy in Gresham that I bought a 4" narrowed bug beam from. He told me about a guy he knew that was restoring a 55 single. It caught my attention because I had a project 55 single in the mid 90s. I sold it off to a fellow vw collector in probably 1994. As far as I knew he still had it, until that conversation. Then I realized this was the same truck I had saved from the scrapper in 93. In the 90s it was considered by me to be too far gone to fix. Well 20 years later it is worth fixing and I am glad you got it. I am glad to see after 20+ years it is finally getting what it deserves. Great work.

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:02 pm

Awesome!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

LooseNuts

Postby LooseNuts » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:12 am

Marc Ryan wrote:Hey Loosenuts I ran into a guy in Gresham that I bought a 4" narrowed bug beam from. He told me about a guy he knew that was restoring a 55 single. It caught my attention because I had a project 55 single in the mid 90s. I sold it off to a fellow vw collector in probably 1994. As far as I knew he still had it, until that conversation. Then I realized this was the same truck I had saved from the scrapper in 93. In the 90s it was considered by me to be too far gone to fix. Well 20 years later it is worth fixing and I am glad you got it. I am glad to see after 20+ years it is finally getting what it deserves. Great work.

So you're the guy he was talking about, awesome to hear from you. I tried to look you up a couple months back but was unsuccessful, just to get some info on the truck. I heard story's of the trucks history. original Oregon truck?? Was re-cabbed at some point in its life with a 58-60 postal yellow from section. that is what I am replacing. to bring it all back to correct 55 stuff. The title I have was last Reg in the 80's. Cant remember off hand the name on it. I did get the birth certificate which was cool history. I'm in Vancouver maybe we can meet up for a beer some time.

thanks for the post. =D> =D>
IG - @vwloosenuts
www.vwloosenuts.com

Marc Ryan

Postby Marc Ryan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:34 pm

I purchased the truck in 92 or 93 it came off of a property that was being developed in eather miluawkee or clackamas, can't remember. The deal was the truck had to be gone by Monday or it was going to the scrapper. I fellow German toys ( local club at the time) member had found it, but could not get the cash together in time so he started asking around if anyone could save it. I had the cash so I went and baught it and towed it home. I got it home and gave it a good wash job and started drilling out the rivets and pulling off the sheet metal that was covering it. I then found out how much rust it had. At that time there were no good quality repo parts available expecially for trucks. So I put it on the back burner and collected parts as I came across good deals. I think I baught that blue 3rd beake light deck lid at the SIR show as well as a green and white ribbed front bumper. The deck lid as I am sure you know was a cut in brake light, but it was cheep and at the time I did not care. Even in the 90s it was near impossible to find the truck rear bumper. At the time the guy that writes transporter talk had a really rough truck rear for like $900 I think. That will probably be the hardest part to find. Alothough I thaught Byron had found one so maybe you have one. As for the re cab I did not even get that far into it to know it was the wrong cab. I did notice it had been replaced, but being monre of a type 1 guy did not know the difference. I just knew it was not a barn door so the overhang on the cab seemed correct.
The funny thing is in the early 90s I put it up for sale in the Oregonian several times for $900 and could not find a buyer.
I ran into Byron and he wanted it, so I sold it to him for what I had into it, for I think $600 and a full doghouse shroud setup for the girl I was dating at the times car. It sat at his place for close to 20 years. I would stop by every few years to get some part I needed and check it out. It seemed to be in good dry storage, but not really changing much from when I had it.
As for the title I can't remember if I ever put it in my name or not. Like I said I could not even remember where exactly I baught it from. I wish I had some old pictures of it but I am pretty sure I did not take any I was never fell in love with it. I was more of a crew cab guy. I now have a vanagon crew cab as well as the same 63 rag I had back then.
It's really cool to see it getting put back on the road. I will follow his and would love to come see it sometime.

LooseNuts

Postby LooseNuts » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:10 pm

excellent info..

sadly I didn't get her dove blue deck lid. but its good to know its a cut in brake light or a rear bumper. I have a fiberglass one but still looking for an original.

thank for the write up. I will keep you posted. =D>
IG - @vwloosenuts
www.vwloosenuts.com

LooseNuts

Postby LooseNuts » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:52 am

After many hours for mock up I spent Sunday rebuilding the front section. Still got stuff to do to finish is. Floors needs welded in and finish the dash. Door gaps ended up good and door opens and shuts nicely.

IG - @vwloosenuts
www.vwloosenuts.com

K Leake

Postby K Leake » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:02 am

Wow that's a boatload of work. Good job =D> =D> =D>
Kevin

jb

Postby jb » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:39 pm

Fuck ya nutz! =D>

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:38 pm

Nice job! =D>
Doors line up great. \:D/
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

George
I'll trade ya

Postby George » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:43 pm

Wow looking great !! Really like the headlight covers =D>

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:31 pm

Sweet. Stoked to have that nasty gone.

LooseNuts

Postby LooseNuts » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:33 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah it's nice to have it finally going back together.

Today I Worked on the drivers side 4 piece doglegs. Not the easiest ting to do I found

IG - @vwloosenuts
www.vwloosenuts.com

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:22 pm

You're killing it Goose! =D> =D> =D>

K Leake

Postby K Leake » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:27 pm

It looks great =D>
Kevin

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”