My 63 Rag from NZ

vwfool

Re: My 63 Rag from NZ

Postby vwfool » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:19 am

Looks good. Bug clutch cables are a whore.

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:11 am

Image\

Sweet! Now you have motivation to get the body into paint. =D>

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:28 pm

Yeah, cheers guys. I'm fully equipped and ready to rock, but now my compressor has taken a dump and won't build pressure, I spent ages fucking about with it on Saturday, I thought the switch unit was faulty, so I switched it out with the one off my little compressor, but still the same.
Finally noticed that the small air line to the switch has a munted end and has also been smashed flat at some point and may be split. #-o

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:34 pm

So Summer has officially ended here and still no red paint on this thing! :x
But never fear, I'm on it!! I've been spending what feels like every waking moment and many when I should be sleeping working on this thing, I'm beginning to understand why car paint jobs are so flippin expensive!
Time, lots and lots of time.

So after giving the shed a mighty clean up and tidy, thinning out the heard of pushbikes down to a manageable number and shoving anything unneeded under the house, I began with dressing down the old welds on the sunroof graft.

and then the bog.

So much sanding.

then decided to bare metal the dash and tidy up the rest of the inside.

check out the factory spot welds.

the reason for this was to remove all the shitty old glue that I had spread about holding the carpets in place, as I wanted to get a nice coat of paint every where.

looking much better after some etch.

I even managed to get a couple days off work as I was on a roll!

moved onto the underside, which apart from the bottom corners on the front firewall, needed no bog at least!

also heaps and heaps of tiny small things like bogging up the spot welds under the engine air vents, smoothing out the welds where I grafted said vent panel into the roof and the front scuttle graft aswell, the A pillars, the front wheel wells...... :shock: :roll: :?

At this point my fingers are numb and my skin feels like 180T sandpaper, are we having fun yet?!

But seeing it all coming together in one color.

that is pretty cool.

fantastic motivation.

You gotta keep on pushin, you gotta keep on pushin!

time to crank up the beast!

this side was tricky, the hood release tube is right smack in the way.

got it stick in place evenchually.

and then the one on the scuttle.

spot welder was making a bit of a mess out of this one(it may have been the operator) so I had to MIG up a few wee holes here and there.

and bog and sand and etch.....

another chunk done.

need to start seam sealing but it would appear that the tube I used on the chassis has seam sealed its self inside the tube, :roll: fuck it, I'd only used a quarter of the fucking thing!

I cut the tube open and did the under side bits here.

not very pretty, but it will keep out the weather.

seams about right, I went to paint the gray primer on the inside of the trunk, got half way and ran out of air, went to finish it tonight and I'd run out of thinners, and now the seam sealer. :?

Ah well, I've been meaning to update you guys so there you are. 8)

Chur KCW!!!!

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:30 pm

Got some more thinners and got the front under bonnet/boot painted

over the years many stone chips had done a number on the paint under the arches.

bog time!

I spent Monday, Tuesday and Wendnesday night last week from about 9pm once the kids were sorted and the next day organized, sanding, sanding and sanding till about 1 or 2 am.

And finally on Thursday night.

a bit of etch.

followed by...

just the engine bay and the front valance to prime.

but that will have to wait till it's off the spit as I still need to spot weld the bonnet seal strip on both valances as the frame it's bolted to is in the way.

still needs heaps of work, found a few dips and bumps after the paint went on, needs lots of sandpaper marks filled in/sanded out, but I should be able to do the seam sealing and smash some red on the bum soon!

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:26 pm

HUGE PROGRESS!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Looking good. Made a lot of progress

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:03 pm

Cheers guys, I got the seam sealer on last night, will give the underside/inside/dash another sand and prime, then splash some red on, then it can go back on the pan for the final time and top coat. Still have to prime the front fenders and doors plus all the small removeable parts like the glovebox lid etc...

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”