My 63 Rag from NZ

63Ragtop

Re: My 63 Rag from NZ

Postby 63Ragtop » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:45 pm

late update

finished up the last of the scuttle transplant

Not bad.

Thought I'd make a start on fixing the doors, pulled out the super rusted doners from under the house.

hoping to make one good door outta these two sets.

need to sort the bottom drivers door hinge, its fucked.

I also want to make it so my one piece windows actually work and have something for the scrapers to attach to,

so i harvested the drivers hinge, inside and outside window sills from the doners.

The half ass plan is to use the rear half of the sills to replace the front half of the good doors to replace the narrow area where the quarter windows go, this area has always pissed me of as there was never enough inner sill to even glue the scraper to, but after this I'm hoping to be able to clip the one piece scraper all the was along the sill to give it a almost factory look and function. Only problem is one of the doner is completely rustfucked!

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:50 pm

here is what i'm dealing with on both doors, although the passenger side seems a little worse than the drivers.

I plan to extend the inside lip so the window scraper will have something to clip or glue to.

Stupidly I went over the bottom of the passenger door with the wire wheel, hmmm why so much bog?

Oh.

Oh shit.

Oh well!

blasted in a wee thing to hopefully hold the hinge to the door and bent up a very small patch for the outer corner.

And then covered that rangi shit up with this neat little thing, was fun to make.

I'm a bit over this bullshit in case you're wondering, gotta get this sucker on the road.

that'll fookn do!

outside corner

This was welded over the top on the outside of the door, at the other end along the bottom.

so I made a new inner lip

smoothed it out.

made this to fit the outside.

and done. It really needs this doing to the whole bottom of the door as the very bottom of the inner panel is nearly completely gone, but not keen after the mess I made of the quarter panels, to big and flat.

and I still haven't started with the window holes!! ](*,) ](*,)

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:01 pm

Making good progress =D> Keep it up! \:D/
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Tue May 03, 2016 9:21 pm

So I want these doors solid, I'm just not completely disassembling them like the shell.
That said the bottom hinge on the drivers door needs some major work, some numpty(me) tried to drill out the pin about ten years ago, removed runningboard, jack car up on one side and drilled straight up, sept the car was on a angle #-o this it's self would be bad enough, having to drill out the rivets in the door, fit a new hinge and then suss out nuts and bolts to hold it in place, but I can't. Because someone at some point folded this door right round and half ripped the rivets out, and then welded everything back together.

So.

This is stuffed anyway, so off it came. See how I skillfully drilled out half of the pin! ](*,) ](*,) :-"

this is looking from the bottom of the door, there is even less meat left on the top of the hinge.
I was hoping to somehow fix this half of the hinge and just use half of the new hinge, but everything is so bent and twisted it really needs replacing.

after thinking long and hard about the easiest, fastest or best way to fix this thing, I did this.

and chopped the inner panel, hinge and all, out.

started removing rust and hammering the folded door skin flat, something I couldn't do with the inner panel in the way.

Also cut this out of the other end on the bottom of the same door.

very krusty in here.

removed parts and new hinge

from this angle you can see how far the hinge has pulled though the door.

took some work still to separate the hinge without damaging the door panels shape.

Again, What have I done!!

#-o #-o

started making a patch for the bottom corner.

Also finally welded up what must be the last rust hole in the body, on the passenger rear quarter window sill.

Smile

and just a wide shot of the shed just to prove I haven't cut the whole thing into tiny chunks.

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Tue May 03, 2016 10:27 pm

well I managed to make a bit of mess of this patch!

I'm sure it was all nice and flat?? before??

that is terrible.

solid as though, must remember this is the bottom of the door, so fuck it.

looks good from this angle.

Now, the hinge side of things, bit of a mission.

first I had to cut what was left of the old hinge out.

I managed to separate the hinge cleanly from the 3rd rivet, and drill a hole through the center of it, which would help in lining the new hinge up in the right place, after much beating and grinding I was happy with how the hinge was sitting.

then I made up a patch to fill in the gaps

welded it in place and ground smooth.

using the dremel on the inside so I could fit another even smaller patch to the inside panel.
the steel I'm using is actually a little thicker than the vw stuff, but this is not a area I want to crack in the future.

I also stuck a few spot welds between them because I could and just in case.

the inside had to be smoothed out so the hinge would sit right and I also welded up the 3rd hole/mess once the hinge could be bolted in place.

like this!

nearly a door again.

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Tue May 03, 2016 11:01 pm

All the way though this project I've been conscious of being overwhelmed with the size of the task at hand, attacking one mini project at a time, ticking them off, moving on to the next one.
Looking though my photobucket the other day I noticed how few of the photos actually look anything like a car, just red,brown, grey metal shapes, every now and then it's great for the motivation to mock up a few panels, sit back with a beer and bong, and picture the day it's all back together and rolling the streets again.
photoshop is also great for this.

hell yeah.

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed May 04, 2016 6:55 am

Its easy to concentrate on all the small things when building a car.

Its looking great. About ready for body and paint work?

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Wed May 04, 2016 12:13 pm

Nice progress. You're committed for sure. #-o
Tim

S-10 BB Swap

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Thu May 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Committed, obsessed, mental, something along those lines.

thanks guys! here is the rest of the door being fixed.

good as new! except it isn't.

With the damage the door has had over the years and general wear and tear, it has never lined up with the quarter panel, sags about 6-7mm has a massive gap at the top and rubs on the sill the back.

it's also always had a small spacer under the top hinge, which would make the door sag more??

because it also fowls the A pillar up by the windscreen I can't just lift the door, any suggestions would be great!

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Thu May 05, 2016 8:34 pm

:-k

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Sun May 08, 2016 9:36 pm

Finished off the drivers door today.

factory cal looker.
Wink
I still need to do this on the other door, but I really want to get on with finishing the heater channels and get some paint on the underneath and the pan before the weather gets colder.

thanks for watching boys and girls, Do Work!

Clatter

Postby Clatter » Mon May 09, 2016 9:50 pm

Really dig the detailed pics and description of your work.
Thanks for taking the time to write it all up!

Also stoked on your one-piece window work..
I went as far as welding brackets in to hang the regulator, and the bottom of the front window felt track,
But didn't stretch the 'clip rail' dealie up into the vent wing area like you did..
Proper work!

Everybody round here hates on one-piece windows; but it's just because they do a shitty job of them... Wink
If you don't get your project done in a "reasonable" amount of time.. You risk having an "dated" rig.. -John Jones

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Tue May 10, 2016 9:32 pm

cheers Clatter, I don't think I would have cut the doors myself, but they were like this when I bought the car all those years ago and the lack of window trim has grown on me over the years, pet hate of mine is a car with chrome on some windows mixed with cal look rubbers. :-&

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Mon May 30, 2016 5:56 pm

been a bit slow(er) on the bug for the last month of so, been making homebrew, fixing the roof on the house, which stuffed my cordless drill, doing a bit of OT and it's a bit bloody cold out in the shed now, :-#
Did this the other night.I think I have enough lights now.

the back two are the ones that were on the car, the two on the left I found at the dump shop for $5 each and the one next to them in the middle is a 50's oval era light, with the cool old german style script Bosch logo and VW logo at the top, the glass lens on top of the other two also has the VW logo but is a hella lens, some are German, some aussie. Most of the rings have a little pitting and rust and/or dents, some have two rivets at the the bottom, some had one, one has Bosch pressed in the top of it, nearly all different which shouldn't be that surprising as they made them for so many years, I should be able to make a ok pair out of all this.

dreaming again

Chur boi

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Tue May 31, 2016 3:52 pm

Nice find on the lights.

Cold in May???
Tim

S-10 BB Swap

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”