Justin's 64 sunroof notchback

Critter1

Justin's 64 sunroof notchback

Postby Critter1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:21 am

I traded a stack of 100s for this 64 sunroof notch today. I had known about the car for a long time, but never thought the guy would part with it. I decided to make an offer today and he took it. It was last registered in 91 and its been sitting outside since. Its very straight with a few cancer bubbles on the passenger door and near the lower corner of the rear window. It's had a respray at some point in its life, and some small parts have been stolen over the years. All of the interior bits are there, except the push button dash mechanism, so I'll need to find one of those. The pans are completely gone, but I have a fix for that...
I have a 67 fastback project that I stalled out on a couple years ago thats going to donate its pan, subframe, beam, and pretty much anything else that I can use on the notch. I really wanted to have my 67 bug finished for this years Classic, but I know thats probably not going to happen. That's OK, that project will continue. With so many KCW cars, crew and friends going to the Classic this year, I really want be there with an ACVW.
So the plan is to make this notch a patina driver and have it at the Classic this year. I have a set of Porsche 5x130 steelies that I'll run, a 1968cc mild motor that I had in the fastback (it might get a freshen up) and a 4.12 magnesium rhino case trans with a close 3rd/4th and short race axles, but the trans case needs a pinion sleeve. So it'll get gone through, freshened up and have a stock 3/4 gears put back in. I'll do some buffing on the old ruby red, clean up the interior, maybe put in a new headliner. I might even use the seats from the fastback, not sure yet.

Last edited by Critter1 on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin

Franz wrote:Fine, I'll fucking change it.

Critter1

Re: Justin's 64 Notchback

Postby Critter1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:41 am

I had this type-1 bj pan that I was doing nothing with. The trans, 27mm torsions and front calipers/discs are coming off and going on the notch.

Got the trans pulled off the pan today and stripped so the case can go to the machine shop for the pinion sleeve. I forgot that the pan had a 1" raise, so I'll need to find to a type-1 nose cone, and the type-3 hockey stick for the rebuild.

Last edited by Critter1 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Justin

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:11 am

That's sweet!!

Looks like there's a lot of goodies in that yard still.
Living!

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:23 am

GTV wrote:That's sweet!!

Looks like there's a lot of goodies in that yard still.

There are a lot of goodies in that yard Zack.. I had to pick the most desirable one though. There's a few others I have my eyes on...

I can't wait to see what this car looks like all buffed out. A lot of the ruby red on the sides should come back real nice. What do you think?
Justin

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:27 am

I'm going to retain rear drum brakes, but I like horsepower and I don't like things that break. Gonna order a set of these short axle chromoly rear hubs from ISP West.
Last edited by Critter1 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin

andym

Postby andym » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:32 pm

great start to a cool ride!!! and it does look like there are a couple more cars to be saved from that yard!!
Andy In Modesto

Maybe Subaru parts could fix it?

dirie1
'Merica

Postby dirie1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:50 am

Hell yah, bitchn project Justin.....

Should shine up real nice. Looks like everything is there too, should go quick \:D/
What do you do with 365 used rubbers? Make a tire and call it a Good Year.

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:53 pm

Been ordering shit like crazy the last couple days. Window rubber, a crusty pitted rear view mirror, some hi po parts & brake parts from CB & ISP, tires, dropped some rotors off to be zinc plated, special Porsche valve stems ](*,) etc.. The coolest part is probably the simplest.. Since I'm missing the push button mechanism and they're either hard to find or nobody wants to part with their extra (can't blame them), I thought I'd convert to regular switches. Figured I'd just make a plate to cover the push button hole and fill it with the wiper & headlight switches. First I checked with Bert3 in Belgium, since he's a NOS Type-3 parts hoarder, and sure enough he had a NOS conversion plate. Its nice to have certain little things remain "VW" if possible. Supposedly VW made these conversion plates for dealers to install because the push button's were such a pain in the ass when they'd fail. I think the conversion plate came factory on standard type models too. Anyway, I'm glad I have that little issue sorted.

Last edited by Critter1 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Justin

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:00 pm

Picked up the paperwork for the Notch. I was surprised to see the BILL OF SALE, sales brochure, seat belt manual, super cherry owners manual and the owners manual for the Blaupunkt radio. The car was sold to a "US tourist" for $7k.
That's better than buying the birth certificate in my opinion! Smile Its an August 1963 car. It was bought either on August 10 or October 8... (not sure how the Germans wrote dates) This guy must have been waiting at the end of the assembly line. [-o< [-o< [-o< "gimme gimme gimme my notch please!"

Last edited by Critter1 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Justin

Matt Faulkner

Postby Matt Faulkner » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Heck yeah man! I love me some Notchbacks! Sweet bonus with all the cool documentation that it came with!
KCW Internship Graduate #1

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:50 pm

Seventh day, tenth month, 1963. It goes in order from smallest to largest, makes a lot more sense if you think about it ;)
Living!

Bret

Postby Bret » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:58 pm

andym wrote:great start to a cool ride!!! and it does look like there are a couple more cars to be saved from that yard!!

Glad I'm not the only person that noticed that full yard of VW's.....looks like the dude has quite the collection.

That's a sweet notch. I had 3 of them over a summer in high school. Some dude had 3 notches in different conditions and 6 seran wrapped pallets full of T3 parts. Had a GOOD day at the Sac Bugorama that year. The sale of those parts and cars is what funded my Split Panel build. You don't see early notchs very often...

andym

Postby andym » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:03 pm

I'm glad my type 3 is done!!! this ride going to make Kelley park next month? Bugorama?
I don't have a whole shit load of extra parts but I might have something small if you need it.
Andy In Modesto

Maybe Subaru parts could fix it?

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:53 am

andym wrote:I'm glad my type 3 is done!!! this ride going to make Kelley park next month? Bugorama?
I don't have a whole shit load of extra parts but I might have something small if you need it.

Andy.. I don't think it'll make Kelley Park. Bugorama is the plan, and the Classic is the goal.
I'm waiting on the pinion sleeve to come in so the trans case can get machined, then I'll put the pressure on Porter to get it rebuilt ASAP. Lots to do really. I have to build the whole pan. My fastback pan is clean and rust free, just need to pull the body off. The beam is painted and on the shelf ready for assembly. The sub frame has been painted and ready to go for a long time. I just need to swap out the spring plates and torsions for some short 27s I have. Need to blast the steelies and paint them. I just picked up my rotors from Zinc plating. They had two years of surface rust on them from sitting outside, but came out perfect. As far as needing parts.. I still need to track down some backing plates. I'll be calling Jim's VW today. I was going to ask you for one of your "B" collar kits if you have any left. Just let me know the cost and your PayPal address.

This is a squareback subframe with the extra bracing that runs the entire width of the torsion housing, which also adds depth to the frame horns making them stronger as well.

I'll finally get to use the Bert3 drop spindles...
Last edited by Critter1 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Justin

AutoPatic

Postby AutoPatic » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:30 am

SWEET! Another Notchback build =D> I wanted to be able to drive mine to classic but that's not going to happen this year.

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”