Justin's 64 sunroof notchback

Critter1

Re: Justin's 64 sunroof notchback

Postby Critter1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:23 am

Time and money... Near impossible to ever have both at the same time. I've had parts sitting here for a while, just no time to shuffle them all together into one cohesive unit. I managed to steal some time and spent a couple days at the shop. Finished the mods to the IRS subframe. New nose cone mount, chromoly torque bar from scratch permanently welded in and put Type-2 CV pockets in the frame horns.. which we overdid. I could fit 930s in there now if I wanted to. There's plenty of room. Also checked CV & axle clearance to the torque bar. It clears no problem. Andy, Bret and Aron all talked me into getting the factory Jetta gear reduction starter set up, so I got that all dialed in too. Had a paint session by the end of the day too... so, yeah.. productive. =D>

1" narrowed trailing arms.

I'm assuming this subframe came from an automatic squareback, but were autos swing axle??

Tons of room.

Done & blasted.

In order for the starter adaptor to work with the Type-1 trans, you either need to clearance the adaptor or a very small section of of the trans so the adaptor sits flush. I clearanced the trans.

We modified the half moon starter bolt to fit the bracket and not spin, so the bolt will do its job.
Justin

Franz wrote:Fine, I'll fucking change it.

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:00 pm

Nice work =D> =D>

63single

Postby 63single » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:27 am

Looks killer man!

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:14 am

Pushed it further along this week. Motor, trans, subframe pulled. Oil cooler remounted to a higher location, behind the drivers side of the back seat, mounted to the body. Still need to swap hockey sticks from trans to trans, build up trailing arms, then start the install. While the 2194 is out it'll get a proper tune up on the test stand. The carbs need gone through and retuned. I'm also swapping out the 019 for an 010 distributor, and going from a cush-lock disc to a Center-Force dual friction disc. I should get 99% done on my days off next week. Making KP events shouldn't be an issue.... [-o<

So the weld in pivots sat at too much of an angle and would've hit the back of the T3 pan. Had to pie cut the tops and bring them down about 1/2". Luckily we realized it BEFORE paint! She's all shiny black now.
*Edit* THIS WAS DONE JUST FOR CLEARANCE TO THE PAN. THE PIVOT BOLTS ARE EXACTLY WHERE THEY'RE SUPPOSE TO BE. ITS ALL GOOD.

Last edited by Critter1 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Justin

Bret

Postby Bret » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:41 am

How much rotational clearance do you have for the trailing arms now that you chopped and lowered the top of the pivot?

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:06 am

Bret wrote:How much rotational clearance do you have for the trailing arms now that you chopped and lowered the top of the pivot?

Plenty. Look at a factory pivot. It's practically boxed in. These aftermarket pivots were designed for the off-road long travel guys. Lots of room.

You can see how tight the factory pivot is. There really isn't a ton of travel at the pivot for every day type driving.

Grabbed this pic online...
Justin

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:09 am

Justin

Bret

Postby Bret » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:31 pm

Is that a Setrab oil cooler? How do you like it?

I have been playing around with an idea in my head to use one of those as a radiator.....

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Bret wrote:Is that a Setrab oil cooler? How do you like it?

I have been playing around with an idea in my head to use one of those as a radiator.....

It is a Setrab. There's a link earlier in this thread for it. It's been working great for the last year. It's on a thermostat, so on cool days oil won't even circulate through it.
Justin

Bret

Postby Bret » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:43 pm

I went back 20 pages and didn't see it. Maybe I'll look later.

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Critter1 wrote:I'm going to run an external oil cooler/fan. Each will be on their own 180 degree thermostatic switch.

Compact Setrab unit.

MRP thermostatic sandwich plate. Nice piece!

Justin

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:49 am

Got the thrash session done on my rig late Wednesday. Don't know why I didn't set it up with IRS from the beginning. I'm telling you... IRS with a 3:88 trans feels like a whole new car. Pulls long and hard through the gears. I love it. The 2194 is running better than ever too!! I am having a slight issue with the camber. One wheel is just slightly positive and the other is straight... When I had the trailing arms narrowed, I think he took out too much factory camber. I'd asked for one or two degrees of camber to be taken out. Turned out to be too much apparently. Another set of trailing arms will be in the works soon. Ugh! I think my new screen name should be DO_SHIT_TWICE ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :-" :-" :-" Its all good though, If I wasn't;t tinkering on this one, I'd be tinkering on another. At least she drives for now!
Justin

63single

Postby 63single » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:42 pm

And it looks badass!!

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:36 am

63single wrote:And it looks badass!!

Thanks buddy.
Justin

Hotrodheb

Postby Hotrodheb » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:33 am

63single wrote:And it looks badass!!

Yes it does!

Rob C.

1967 13 Window Deluxe
1972 Heb project
1964 Convertible bug

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”