Bret's 65 #2 Build Thread

Critter1

Re: Bret's 65 #2 Build Thread

Postby Critter1 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:05 pm

Good job getting it back on the pan! The pics^ aren't working. Or at least I'm not seeing them...
Justin

Franz wrote:Fine, I'll fucking change it.

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Mon May 16, 2016 11:36 pm

Pics are working for me...

That car is going to buff out nice!! I'm dying for an OG paint 65 project, but not in Panama Biege. I'll take anything but that color!!
Living!

Bret

Postby Bret » Mon May 16, 2016 11:47 pm

GTV wrote:Pics are working for me...

That car is going to buff out nice!! I'm dying for an OG paint 65 project, but not in Panama Biege. I'll take anything but that color!!

Haha. Yeah. It's grown on me a bit. Panama beige just isn't for most people. Wish it was ruby red with matching patina...

Bret

Postby Bret » Mon May 16, 2016 11:49 pm

Critter1 wrote:Good job getting it back on the pan! The pics^ aren't working. Or at least I'm not seeing them...

Funny you say that. If I scroll back through pages on my phone, they come back as a little image icon.

I hope Photobucket didn't take a shit on me.

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:14 am

I see them now. Zach is right, that'll buff out real nice.
Justin

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:10 pm

Did you come out to BugO?
Justin

Bret

Postby Bret » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:29 pm

Naw. I stayed home wrenching on the bug. I took Tuesday/Wednesday off this week and had 5 straight days of working on the bug. Still not done. I'm just not as fast as you guys. ](*,)

I need to update the thread. I've just had my head down and been working. Need to remember to take photos. It's been so damn hot in my garage, half the time my minds not functioning properly. Haha.

Probably won't be at the classic either sadly. Driving a water cooled car down there just isn't fun for me (drove the Honda last year), if I'm gonna be down there, I wanna roll a VW. Even if I got the bug running this next week.....a 6 hour maiden voyage isn't exactly a smart idea. [-( [-(

At this point, I just want the thing running and driving. I've been wanting to go do some driving in the mountains more than freeway driving to VW shows.

Bret

Postby Bret » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:37 pm

I just realized I havent updated this thread in a while. Just been wrenching and haven't taken the time to upload photos from my phone to photobucket. Well I guess it's time to play catch up.

Last time you saw it, it had the body on, but with no motor. Shortly after that happened, it was time to flip it around in the garage so I wasn't working on it by the door in the sun all the time....but first, picture time!

It was time to put the motor in. After the tar board was installed, I had to go through the steps of mounting the LS coil brackets and fuel pressure regulator. Had to make a custom bracket for the regulator for it to clear the shroud and still mount to the outward rib on the firewall. Forgot to take a finished photo after reshaping and painting it.

But when finalizing and hooking up the wires I realized I forgot to pull the damn wide and cable through with the rest of the wires (I had left the cable in the box with the sensor). Ran wiring routing cables front to rear but we could not get it to run through no matter what we tried.......so I got to tear it all back apart down to the firewall to run the cable inside the car and put it all back together again. That kinda knocked the air out of my sails for a week and didn't touch the car for a few days.

But got her back on the ground this weekend. Motor buttoned up, fuel system buttoned up, wheels/tires buttoned up. Just need to wire the ECU and get started on the interior. Lot of work went down without getting pictures, so sorry if it's not super detailed.

jb

Postby jb » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:42 pm

I like that linkage =D>

aaronbonte

Postby aaronbonte » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:28 am

Looks awesome, nice job =D> =D> =D>

Pat K

Postby Pat K » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:32 am

Going to be a badass sleeper... =D> =D> =D> ....buff, buff, buff, soon... [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Bret

Postby Bret » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:46 am

jb wrote:I like that linkage =D>

Thanks dude. I was actually one of the test dummies for Sync Link when they came out 4-5 years ago. I got the first setup for free as I was the first guy who put one in a pre-67 bug so I got a setup if I took photos showing him any changes that needed to be made.

I'll never go back to a hexbar style linkage. This thing is smooth as butter and stupid easy to adjust. =D>

Pat K wrote:Going to be a badass sleeper... =D> =D> =D> ....buff, buff, buff, soon... [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

It's on the agenda. Just gotta get it running and driving first. But speaking of buff.....when you gonna buff your bus? Come on now slacker. Wink

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:48 am

your engine bay is sooo clean and simple.. yet not.. :-# :-# :-# :-# :-# :-#
if you keep going in circles.. Your never gonna get anywhere :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:23 am

Nice Bret. Looks clean.

Bret

Postby Bret » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:59 am

john jones wrote:your engine bay is sooo clean and simple.. yet not.. :-# :-# :-# :-# :-# :-#

Haha. I have got that comment a lot. People love how there is no coil/distributor/fuel pump on the case and how clean it makes the motor, but then they also trip out on all the EFI stuff. So I simplified the components on the engine, just complicated the fuel/ignition systems. Wink

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”