Bret's 65 #2 Build Thread

Bret

Re: Bret's 65 #2 Build Thread

Postby Bret » Sat May 14, 2016 11:39 pm

The new one from WW showed up this morning. Been working on it, but not sure if BOR will happen. The body is ready to go on. Just working on getting a few of my local buddies to stop by at the same time so we can get them back together.

I applied all the sound deadener to the floor pan. Big difference.

I need to take a few days off during the week to have a wrench session if I want to try to get this thing to BOR. 2 weeks to BOR and 4 weeks till the Classic weekend....

Franz

Postby Franz » Sun May 15, 2016 7:16 am

Glad you went with the ww tar board. I think it's the most correct. Plus, it more stiff/thicker than the wcm kit.

Lately I've been liking tar board on beetles. It gives the engine bay a nice original German feel, and hides the wires for a clean look. On the down side, it makes dual carbs a little harder to work on because of the lack of room on the sides of he engine bay.

I like to run a 10 gauge primary wire from the starter to the alternator, under the tar board with the wire harness, so that I don't have to run it later separately around the right side of the engine. Looks cleaner that way.

jb

Postby jb » Sun May 15, 2016 7:50 am

Wanna know how loud one is with zero insulation or tar board either side? :-k solid mounted on IDAs..... :-$ pretty much your ultimate cruiser :^o

Bret

Postby Bret » Sun May 15, 2016 9:31 am

jb wrote:Wanna know how loud one is with zero insulation or tar board either side? :-k solid mounted on IDAs..... :-$ pretty much your ultimate cruiser :^o

Two words: Ear plugs. #-o

Bret

Postby Bret » Mon May 16, 2016 8:18 am

Okay. Time for a quick update. Been slacking a bit lately as allergies have been kicking my ass lately. After a day or eyes water/nose running you are about dead when you get home and you just crash. But I just put my head down this weekend to try and make as much progress as possible.

So the pan is completely finished. Went through and sound deadened the whole pan (was stoked that I found a non-asphalt based sound deadener that was the same thickness as the big dollar brands.....but in black). Didn't do 100% pan coverage, but did the whole tunnel and most of the pan halves. Didn't dick with covering the areas around the seat grams and where the pan halves butt up against the tunnel. But the pan sounds so solid now. I bought 2-36sq. ft kits of deadener.....i haven't even used half yet. Gonna have a lot left over.

Then began working on the door panels. Due to the fact that I had fitment issues with my 65 repop panels on the last 65 and I am not going with an out of the box kit, I decided to go ahead and make the hardboard panels for the upholstery person so that I know they fit properly and will save them time. Got a set of OG panels stripped down to the hardboard. Gonna mirror the front passenger panel and the drivers rear panel. So no map pocket on the driver panel, dual arm rests and no ash tray on the passenger rear. Clean and simple. I will get finished photos once I knock out the remainder of the panels.

Last but not least, got the body back on the pan. \:D/ \:D/
I think the stance looks pretty decent the way that it is, considering that I just chose a random angle setting for the rear spring plates. It should settle some more once I get an interior in it, put the motor in, a full tank of gas, and a spare up front. But for the most part.....I am pretty happy with how it looks. That is one expensive patina'd VW. \:D/ \:D/ ](*,) ](*,)

K Leake

Postby K Leake » Mon May 16, 2016 8:38 am

It looks great. what color is that.
Kevin

Bret

Postby Bret » Mon May 16, 2016 8:52 am

Glad you like it. Wink

The color is the original paint called Panama Beige. 64-65 only color. Probably my least favorite of the VW beige colors (Sea Sand in 66 and Savannah Beige in 67 both look better in my opinion), but it looks decent on this car. The beige has a little more yellow/orange than the two later beige colors.

I gotta wash and possibly buff it out in the next week or two. I have not washed the car since I got it, and the previous owner never washed it before I got it. Its pretty dirty. Hoping that a good wash and buff will bring the color out some. Its fairly oxidized. I may need to have Andy show me the ways of buffing out OG paint - he is pretty good at it.

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon May 16, 2016 8:57 am

Hell yeah. Fender gaps are nice. Hook me up with info on the sound deadening material.

K Leake

Postby K Leake » Mon May 16, 2016 8:59 am

It's the same color as my 64. Thought it was the same.
Kevin

Bret

Postby Bret » Mon May 16, 2016 9:13 am

Franz wrote:Hell yeah. Fender gaps are nice.

Agreed. All gaps on this car are almost perfect. The only one that is a bit close for comfort is the drivers door. It looks like it was overextended a bit in the past and the gaps between the body and the front (hinge area) are pretty darn close. But other than that, no complaints. I love how the hood gap is pretty much perfect. Thats one of my pet peeves....a big hood gap on beetles.

Franz wrote:Hook me up with info on the sound deadening material.

Its called Noico. Only sold on Amazon from what I was able to find. Pretty close to the same thickness as Dynamat, FatMat and Rattle Trap (all of which I have used in the past), but for 36sq.ft. it was like $65. I actually have some Stinger Roadkill sound deadener left over from the bus build (which is a great value as well) and I actually like this Noico stuff better.

The Noico has a black square texture, but when you roll it on (for adhesion purposes to get air bubbles out) it flattens out and just looks like a shiny matte appearance. I am happy with the look. Super easy to cut.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PCL ... 574FY5WBKD

Bret

Postby Bret » Mon May 16, 2016 9:13 am

K Leake wrote:It's the same color as my 64. Thought it was the same.

Let's see some photos!

russ scott

Postby russ scott » Mon May 16, 2016 10:08 am

kicking ass man
it is looking great

K Leake

Postby K Leake » Mon May 16, 2016 5:27 pm

Bret wrote:
K Leake wrote:It's the same color as my 64. Thought it was the same.

IMG_20160516_42778.jpg
IMG_20160516_42778.jpg (96.54 KiB) Viewed 477 times

This was my first VW , its my beater. Every one in the family like's to drive it.
Attachments
IMG_20160516_35150.jpg
IMG_20160516_35150.jpg (101.97 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Kevin

Bret

Postby Bret » Mon May 16, 2016 5:45 pm

Thats a clean looking bug! I would be stoked if my paint looked that good.

Your car has a killer stance too!

K Leake

Postby K Leake » Mon May 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Bret wrote:Thats a clean looking bug! I would be stoked if my paint looked that good.

Your car has a killer stance too!

Thanks
Kevin

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”