Bret's 65 #2 Build Thread

Bret

Bret's 65 #2 Build Thread

Postby Bret » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:42 pm

So Andy gave me a bad time over the time of my bus build for not posting a build thread, and in hindsight, it would have been fun to have documented the build a little better, so I am throwing this up so that I force myself to keep updating things and share the build with all of you.

So my bus started its journey to the UK 2 weeks ago to spend its life in a showroom for a Rock/Granite company. Few pics of it getting picked up.

The bus turned out just the way that I wanted, and won a bunch of awards during the show season, but in the end, I did not really enjoy driving it. Had a few friends state that I was nuts for selling it, but I was ready to build a fast VW that was more enjoyable to drive. And after building a super shiny restored bus, I was afraid to drive it, so I wanted to change that in this build - build something that I am not afraid to drive anywhere. I am a HUGE lover of sleeper VW's, so this bug is going to be built to pack a serious punch, but be seriously unsuspecting. For now, gonna leave the body completely as-is (might buff it) and build the drivetrain only. But it will get painted in the future - Just not sure how soon that time will come. I'd rather have the drivetrain be the way I want it and be able to drive the piss out of it rather than have a pretty car doesn't perform the way I want.

So this is where the new 65 Bug comes in. Bought it from a fellow who purchased it from the original owner, but never registered it - so I am the second owner. That doesn't happen very often! The car is super solid, and the body is pretty mint. I have another 65 bug that would take a lot of work to make as solid as this one, so its a great canvas to start from. So a few pics of the car.....

Original plates - last registered in 85!
6 volt 40 horse!

Apparently the car had been purchased with a set of early 356 rims on it at the time, and the PO sold the car to basically repay what he bought the car for....so I got the car with no wheels. Makes it a blessing to move around. So got a few rollers for it.

Progress photos will continue to feed in in the next week. Tore into the car on Friday afternoon and got it all ready to remove the body. Removed all the seats, gas tank, all body bolts, motor, all wiring attached to pan, speedo cable, brake reservoir, etc. Finishing up on the saw horse/stands to rest the body on while I build a wicked drivetrain for it. Been collecting parts here and there for 3 years now with this build in mind....

Plans so far consist of:
-Big stroker motor (2165 or 2276 at this point)
-Super Squish 94mm pistons from AC.net, ~12:1 CR, Steve Tims Stage 2 Heads, full EFI with 40mm CB Throttle Bodies/Crank Trigger Ignition, Sidewinder Exhaust, Sync-Link linkage, etc.
-IRS conversion in the rear (narrowed trailing arms if needed for wheel clearance)
-Built late model Zig-Zag IRS Case with beefed up internals/HD Axles/CV's
-Front and Rear Sway Bars - I want this thing to hook around corners
-Beam by Andy once we determine how narrow is needed - Andy is thinking about doing a 4 adjuster beam for this build
-4 Wheel Discs (Russell's Wilwood/Custom Dropped Spindle combo up from, generic disc rear)
-Widened 16" Smoothies - Very similar to the wheels on Mark's split - Thinking might go to 5.5 fronts though with 185 or 195's up front and 205/60R16's in the rear.

Should be fun. Stay tuned!

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Re: Bret's 65 #2 Build Thread

Postby rustabus » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:36 am

LOVE THAT PATINA!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> sooo whatcha gonna do with the 40 horse???? :-k Smile

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:49 am

Nice.

Pat K

Postby Pat K » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:22 am

Nice find...second owner....WHAT!!!.......That one clean lookin' 40hp.

Bret wrote:6 volt 40 horse!
Last edited by Pat K on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:55 am

Nice! I've been keeping an eye out for an OG paint 65 for a while now, I have a similar-ish build in mind.
If I may make a few suggestions- there's no need to narrow your IRS trailing arms if you are going to have custom offset wheels made. It's a lot of work than can be easily avoided. Also, think about just doing the rear wheels in 16", keep the front 15". There's more tire options with 15" to keep the total height reasonable for a lowered car without going to low profile and ruining your ride quality.

That's a great base car. It's gonna be bad ass!
Living!

Bret

Postby Bret » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:39 pm

GTV wrote:If I may make a few suggestions- there's no need to narrow your IRS trailing arms if you are going to have custom offset wheels made. It's a lot of work than can be easily avoided.

I agree with you on the concept that it is a lot of work. The downfall is that IRS pushes your rear track out an inch, and from what I have read, the rear disc kits add additional width as well. I just don't want some funky looking combo in the end that has a narrow looking rim in the rear and a wider (deeper) looking wheel in the front.

With the way the car sits right now with stock short axles and a stock 15x4" rim, there is just under 2 inches from the tip of the tire to the lip of the fender. I have a feeling that the IRS + disc brakes will take up that gap if not more....

GTV wrote:Also, think about just doing the rear wheels in 16", keep the front 15". There's more tire options with 15" to keep the total height reasonable for a lowered car without going to low profile and ruining your ride quality.

I am not planning on going too low profile on tires. It will be lowered mildly - for both handling and stance - but I don't plan on slamming it too low. Don't want to limit where I can drive the car if the car is too low. I gotta find that happy medium.

dirie1
'Merica

Postby dirie1 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:20 pm

Keep the updates coming Bret.....
What do you do with 365 used rubbers? Make a tire and call it a Good Year.

Bret

Postby Bret » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:51 pm

rustabus wrote:LOVE THAT PATINA!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> sooo whatcha gonna do with the 40 horse???? :-k Smile

Not sure at the moment. I was actually told it is a big bore 40 horse that was built back in the day.

I have considered taking all 6V gear off this 65 and transplanting it over to 65 #1 when I get ready to sell it. That way I keep all my fairly new 12v stuff and then don't have to worry about selling these parts by themselves. All this stuff is in great working order.

And if I get the suspension done on this car before I get the motor finished, I could always put around on the 1600sp that is in my other bug. But at the rate I am buying engine parts, I doubt that will happen. \:D/

62 Crew Cab

Postby 62 Crew Cab » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Nice find =D> =D>
Marc

DBK

john jones

Postby john jones » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:34 am

L31 Army! Wink

Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

Bret

Postby Bret » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:17 am

john jones wrote:L31 Army! Wink

I was waiting for you to comment on that. Dove Blue on 215/75R15 All Terrains. It was a good look. Smile

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:52 am

Bret wrote:I just don't want some funky looking combo in the end that has a narrow looking rim in the rear and a wider (deeper) looking wheel in the front.

I am not planning on going too low profile on tires. It will be lowered mildly - for both handling and stance - but I don't plan on slamming it too low. Don't want to limit where I can drive the car if the car is too low. I gotta find that happy medium.

Easy solution, don't narrow the beam ;) Seriously though, a narrowed track is not what you want for handling, and narrowed leaves will increase the spring rate. Sway bars for a narrowed front end are another issue. Use drop spindles and install adjusters in the beam to fine tune the ride height. Good adjustable shocks, like Koni's will go a long way. Set up the wheels with the width you want and as much backspace as you can get away with. I'm not trying to tell you how to build your car, just my two pennies worth after going down the handling road on my last car. Straight line performance is fun, but a car you can take fast deep into a corner and scare the shit out of the missus is where it's at!

That car has a great look to it. It's gonna be killer!
Living!

andym

Postby andym » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Hell yeah!!! This car will be a lot of fun building!! Bring on that pan!
Andy In Modesto

Maybe Subaru parts could fix it?

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:57 am

Bret wrote:
john jones wrote:L31 Army! Wink

I was waiting for you to comment on that. Dove Blue on 215/75R15 All Terrains. It was a good look. Smile

I think we should continue to talk about that sick ass L31 shasta bus!!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

andym

Postby andym » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:25 pm

Bret!!! I know I can just text you but I wanna be a dick and post up on here..
How's the progress!!!!!???

Order up some of those irs weld in pivots.
Andy In Modesto

Maybe Subaru parts could fix it?

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”