Bret's 65 #2 Build Thread

Bret

Re: Bret's 65 #2 Build Thread

Postby Bret » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:08 pm

Shit! It's been 3 months since I updated this thread. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Been having some struggles getting this thing up and running. Andy has been over a few times working on getting it going, but a few weeks ago we seemed to have somehow fried the diode on the motherboard of my ECU so it is off getting repaired right now.

In the downtime, I have been getting ready to do the interior on this bad boy. Old interior is all stripped out. Went through and sound deadened the whole inside (roof, parcel tray, rear wheel wells, under the door panels and the front wheel well/kick panel area). Stripped the old seats down, repaired a few broken springs and took them down and had em powdercoated 60% gloss black like the undercarriage (as well as the steering column, the rear seat brace, and a few other doo dads). Got a decent sized order from Wolfsburg West the other day. Got my carpet kit in, my floor mats, headliner padding kit, seat pads, etc. So off to a good start!

Also spent this past weekend making all new wood components for the interior (door cards, kick panels for under the rear seat, back panel for the rear of the back seat) using the originals as templates. Fresh coat of urethane to seal them from any moisture absorption and they are ready for upholstery.

So the big thing I have been anticipating is what I wanna do with the interior. Being that 65 is a one year only interior, I decided I wanted to do something different. My last 65 had a TMI kit in it, and as nice as it was, I was never in love with the look and vinyl seats in California SUCK. Sweaty mess. So I started looking at alternatives. Funny thing is that 2 of the 3 aspects that I am planning on incorporating actually came from this site. Didn't have to look far!

Seats are simple. Gonna go charcoal tweed with vertical pleats and black piping. Simple, comfy, and less sweat.
Who can remembers what build the above pic was from?

As for door panels, I plan on backdating the styling of my door panels to that of oval window bugs. Always liked them better and since this interior isnt stock (nor is the car), I'm just gonna do it. Let the haters hate. \:D/ I like the transitions in the panel design and dig the chrome trim like the pre-60 cars. Funny thing is that I was digging through the archives on TS for dimensions of where the transitions were on the stock panels....and who was it asking the question? None other than JB. Dug through his build thread here on the forum and found this pic. Just so helps that the example photo has darn near the exact color combo that I am going after. Good choice JB!

Gonna snag that look and do a few simple changes. Tweed to match the seats, leave out the horizontal stitching above the chrome strip and then have vertical stitching from the bottom of the chrome strip down to the vinyl on the bottom. Think that would look too busy?

PeteSC

Postby PeteSC » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:46 pm

Bret wrote:Shit! It's been 3 months since I updated this thread. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Seats are simple. Gonna go charcoal tweed with vertical pleats and black piping. Simple, comfy, and less sweat.

JJ's '57 low-gloss L31 kombi or Pigpen's '63 L31 panel camper? I like it.
Meh.

Bret

Postby Bret » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:51 pm

PeteSC wrote:
Bret wrote:Shit! It's been 3 months since I updated this thread. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

JJ's '57 low-gloss L31 kombi or Pigpen's '63 L31 panel camper? I like it.

JJ's '57 low-gloss L31 kombi =D> =D>

Glad I am not the only one that remembers that build like it was yesterday. Should have bought it when I had the chance. ](*,) ](*,)

K Leake

Postby K Leake » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:09 pm

The wiring looks great O:)
Kevin

andym

Postby andym » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:17 pm

I'll update Brets thread for him. He built a badass car, it's really fucking cool. In the year 2019 he will test drive it, when he will finally let me Subi swap it. :-# :-#

For real, badass car Bret. We will keep pecking away at that fuel injection shit. Each time we work on it we get closer, yesterday was pretty good. i swear you got the worst luck with this injection shit. Cut that wiring down some and we can give it round #219.
Andy In Modesto
"23 year olds don't know dick!!!" John Jones

Bret

Postby Bret » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:29 pm

andym wrote:In the year 2019 he will test drive it, when he will finally let me Subi swap it. :-# :-#

Hahaha. 2019. That's some funny shit. =D> =D> That's what it feels like at times. I like how I planned for a 6 month build. Hit 2 years this week. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

andym wrote:For real, badass car Bret. We will keep pecking away at that fuel injection shit. Each time we work on it we get closer, yesterday was pretty good. i swear you got the worst luck with this injection shit. Cut that wiring down some and we can give it round #219.

Haha. I tend to agree with the "worst luck." This cars been fighting me, but maybe some of the gremlins in the wiring were my fault. We will find out shortly.

My goal is to have it rewired by Wednesday evening. Got the old setup all apart, new mounting plate fabbed up, new fuse panel, got the new pins and replacement relays and everything else needed. Now just time to wire it up.

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:47 am

Gremlins suck. It looks like you are super close to being done.

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:09 am

Kelly Park?
Justin

Franz wrote:Fine, I'll fucking change it.

Bret

Postby Bret » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:19 am

Franz wrote:Gremlins suck. It looks like you are super close to being done.

Yeah. Its always the last 10% that take 80% of the time. I went a little overboard and complicated the EFI wiring. Andy talked some sense into me and convinced me to tear it out and go super simple. Hope that clears up and issues we were having. Hoping that the rewire will clear up some issues that were hard to troubleshoot with the old setup.

Critter1 wrote:Kelly Park?

My goal is to have this thing up and running before show season. I have missed 2 years of show season as I haven't had a VW to drive. Been to a few shows, but its not as fun driving a watercooled there. #-o

Basically the only thing the bug needs at this point:
-Get the engine tuned and running smoothly
-Get the interior done - Been ready to go on this for months but been trying to get it running first
-Install windows with new rubber
-4 Wheel Alignment
-Install Front/Rear Sway Bars
-Test Drive

Getting close, just need to push and get it buttoned up. Andy has been a big help keeping me motivated and come over and help troubleshoot. Being a newb to EFI has got me frusterated a few times, but we are making progress.

andym

Postby andym » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:36 am

I'll update this!!!

Bret text me last week that he was needed more help with this bug. Loaded it on the trailer and into my shop it came. This fuel injection kit was not "bolt on", now I know why people hate injection..it's not bolt on.

Anyways, got it running (again) last week, then just had to trouble shoot just about everything. From janky o2 sensors, to blown fuses, single to dual vacuum ports, to crank trigger gap to pully distance.

He's gonna come by this weekend with seat springs so we can hit the streets and test drive...between raining periods. Maybe if it goes well, drive back to his place? It's just a few miles.

Gonna be a cool driver for sure. Let's hope for 100,000 trouble free miles..wait it not a subaru!! Let's hope for 10,000!!! $1 a mile plus gas!!
Andy In Modesto
"23 year olds don't know dick!!!" John Jones

Bret

Postby Bret » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:11 am

andym wrote:Gonna be a cool driver for sure. Let's hope for 100,000 trouble free miles..wait it not a subaru!! Let's hope for 10,000!!! $1 a mile plus gas!!

Haha. It better last longer than 10k miles. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Andy summed it up above. Diving into EFI can be challenging if you've never done it before. I'm super fortunate that Andy lives like 5 miles from me. After some tweaks and some changes to what I had done previously this thing fired up last night and sounds MEAN. Super stoked. \:D/ \:D/

Hope this weekend goes well. Seat frames, a shifter and a license plate and it should be time to roll up and down the road next to Andy's place and see if we can do a little more fine tuning on this thing.

Need to get this thing to the interior shop soon if I have any hopes that it will make it to Kelley Park! Little over a month. Might be cutting that a little close...

Bret

Postby Bret » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:46 am

So time for an update. Andy has been giving my crap for not updating this thread. So started a new Photobucket account and uploaded all pics from this build so I can update it.

Haven't made a ton of progress since the last update but some. Chipping away at small projects to get this thing ready for show season. Not sure if it will make Kelly Park due to the interior shops timing, but it better make it to Madera.

Pics speak louder than words, right?

Went through and sound deadened the interior:
Roof:
Made all hardboard panels for interior (for some reason I didn't take pics of the door panels):
Seat frames powdercoated (rolling on frames for the trip to Andy's place:
Back when Andy's shop was empty and wasn't full of subaru swaps:Image
Maiden Voyage:

Bret

Postby Bret » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:54 am

This weekend I had to fight a leaking fitting under the tank so Andy and I got it all knocked out (no pics of that). Also got the headlight assemblies reassembled with my near NOS Cibie Z-beam H4's with 85w/100w bulbs.

Bright as hell!
Image[/URL]

Also knocked out the wiper assembly reassembly with the 12V 2-speed wiper motor conversion. That's going in tonight. Also had to adjust the steering box as there was a good amount of play in it after I replaced the seals/painted it. Good to go now. It's ready to drive!

Supposed to go to the interior shop tomorrow (FINALLY).

Decided to go with these colors. Was gonna go all tweed originally, but Justin convinced me to go tweed/vinyl. The door panel design is up above on this page, but aiming for the seats to look something like this:
Color of fabric. Carpet color, gonna aim for a greyish/black vinyl around the seats bottoms/sides/seat back/bottom of the door panels.

Once the interior shop finishes up, still gotta knock out window seals, alignment and installation of the sway bars. Getting closer and it's really cram time now!

dirie1
'Merica

Postby dirie1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:06 pm

Go buddy go.....looks killer. The interior turned out wicked....

Making it to Kelley Park?
What do you do with 365 used rubbers? Make a tire and call it a Good Year.

Bret

Postby Bret » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:27 pm

dirie1 wrote:Go buddy go.....looks killer. The interior turned out wicked....

Making it to Kelley Park?

Thats only the plans for the interior. I haven't even got to drop the car off yet. #-o #-o But being that I have so much done already for the interior guy (have the carpet kit with padding/headliner with padding/seat padding/door cards made/floor mats/etc), he said he should have it knocked out in 1-2 weeks. I told him when the shows are (KP and Madera) and he said he will do what he can to have it back to me with a week or so to spare so that I can button up odds and ends to make it. I am not holding my breath though.....

KP is gonna be pushing it, but I am still aiming for that. Ive been throwing as many hours at is as I can while not being completely zombied out at work.

I know for sure I am gonna need to employ someone to help me disassemble and reassemble my front doors for the rubber kit I bought for them. I know that Franz always says its his least favorite job on a bug.....not looking forward to that.

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”