Justin's 67

Critter1

Justin's 67

Postby Critter1 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:30 am

I've been around this site for years now. I check in almost every day. I figure its time I start a build thread. I've held off on it because it seems like every time I start a build thread somewhere, I jinx myself and never finish it..... So lets call this a build-bullshit-vent-Q&A thread. Ok? Ok. :)

I picked the car up back in 2005 (i think), for $200 sitting in a tow yard with a blown 1500. The only thing I've saved to work with is the body, hood, decklid, one door and "parts" of the pan.. :-$. I stripped the car down to nothing back then and then it just sat and sat and sat... Few things were tinkered with here and there over the years, but no real significant steady progress.. I hope to change that now. Although I have steadily collected & restored parts for it, bagged & tagged & boxed up most of it. Its the same old story of life getting in the way of fun & toys.. blah blah... Here we go..

My plan all along has been to make this into the bug I've always wanted. A bad ass, fast, totally drivable car that'll stand the test of time. I've always loved the uniqueness of 67s and the coolness of the old Cal-Look days. I like the drivability of IRS, so it's getting that conversion as well, along with Type-2 CVs and a Quaife diff.. This will end up being a euro style 67 with early front fenders, steering column lock, euro lenses, 4 lug rims (4 lug haters can shoot me now..). I have some original restored 4 lug Cosmics, NOS Cosmic steering wheel, Cosmic gas pedal, and some other cool bits I'll be throwing at it.

Pics.......

As I got it.

Dash work.

Original EMPI dash pad \:D/

Some Cal-Looking.

Cosmic.

NOS Cosmic steering wheel and gas pedal.

Interior done. Just TMI smooth vinyl.

The car will be Dove Gray.. Ford color... The color combo's I'm going with are below as well. The headliner material is getting swapped for a lighter gray.

So I decided to have the car blasted & epoxy primed. Typical heater channel issues. Typical PO abuse.. I have channels, quarter panels, and other misc sheet metal from a 67 that lost its life and was cut up for this build.

??? WTF..
Last edited by Critter1 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Justin

Franz wrote:Fine, I'll fucking change it.

lonestar

Postby lonestar » Mon May 19, 2014 10:35 am

Good Luck with the Build... =D>

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:42 am

Ok.. well I feel like I just bounced around quite a bit to get caught up to current status of this build.

I'm sure the question of drive train will come up sooner or later. The trans has been way over built (which is perfect IMO) with all the typical hi-po goodness

It was originally built as a swing axle, but I have since decided to go IRS with Type-2 CV's. The Quaife diff is supposedly on a boat from the UK right now. Apparently I got lucky because Quaife diffs for Type-1 with Type-2 CVs are hard to come by. I got the only one that was sitting in the warehouse.
Trans was built by Porter Precision Transaxles, and will go back to him to install the Quaife and double check everything.

Oh yeah... we just finished the motor last week. Its still on the stand awaiting break in. I'll post a video of the fire up. Its just a little 2387..
Last edited by Critter1 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Justin

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:08 am

I like details. This is the first round of VW hardware I blasted and had bright zinc plated. I don't have and after shot of it, but the shit looks better than brand new. Of course, later on I found several more pieces to zinc plate so I went for round two.

I went ahead and crossed drilled my rotors. The fronts are stock and the rears are CBs 914 kit. I had the rotors zinc plated as well.
Last edited by Critter1 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Mon May 19, 2014 11:21 am

Nice Justin. Gonna be another badass ride here.
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

Woody
yo mama

Postby Woody » Mon May 19, 2014 11:56 am

Very nice, I support this.
Cheese

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:13 am

Patiently waiting.. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Built by Rick Eichler in Sonoma
2387cc
9:1 CR
48 IDFs
40 x 35.5
Engle FK 45
A-1 1 5/8"
Type 4 oil cooler

Justin

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed May 21, 2014 9:35 am

Very nice. Its going to have some style!

jeremy

Postby jeremy » Wed May 21, 2014 12:25 pm

Very nice. Great progress. Keep the pics coming. That engine looks Dy-no-mite!!!

jb

Postby jb » Wed May 21, 2014 7:50 pm

Killer man, bitch is gonna rip! I have an FK46 in my 2332, that series of cam are impressive!

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Thu May 22, 2014 6:35 am

Thanks guys.. yeah I'm looking forward to feeling this thing rip!!
Justin

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Fri May 23, 2014 7:59 am

A little Friday randomness...

I like these Buckpak manifolds because they have such a thick flange. I've seen thinner flanges break on more than one occasion. You're asking a lot of those thin flanges with that heavy carb on top.. just my two cents. Something to think about.

Justin

john jones

Postby john jones » Fri May 23, 2014 9:52 am

wow.. Your gonna need some longer studs to run those!! Nice....
Working on my fortress of solitude.... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Sat May 31, 2014 8:00 am

My plan was to do an IRS conversion on a ball joint, swing axle pan that I already have. After helping a friend last week on an IRS conversion to a 59 bug, I learned how much of a bitch it can be. The body was on the 59 which made it suck even worse. I thought if I can find a standard IRS pan for a good deal, I'd be miles ahead of myself. So I searched and found this super cherry IRS Ghia pan for $150. Money well spent in my opinion!! I spent yesterday stripping it down to get it ready for new pan halves that I'll pick up from Wolfsburg West during Classic weekend. Until then, I'll open up the tunnel for clutch tube reinforcement, run a bigger fuel line and weld the tabs for a Berg mid mount. Then sand blast, epoxy prime it and set it aside.

The maroon bug in the pic is the 59 that got the IRS conversion. Its getting a 2332 so its patiently waiting for that motor build to get finished up.. another week and it should be down the road.

Justin

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:18 pm

Just scored the rights to this little gem. Very original 67 vert, COMPLETE! I'm not saying it ain't rusty, but it's all there. This car was driven to this exact spot in 1983 and hasn't moved since. Crazy to think that it's been off the road longer than it was ever on the road. I was told it's had tarps over it most of the time since it was parked... I'm not so sure about that. Package tray is toast, pans too and the top has withered into non existence. It's pretty straight though. Has had a slight tap to the front and rear but no major damage.

I tossed around the idea of changing my current build to a vert, but I've decided against that. I think I'd like to put this vert back to stock (mostly).. with nice mild motor, trans & wheels. It'll be on the way back burner for now..

Justin

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”