subaru super beetle

User avatar
andym
Posts: 3048
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:22 am
Location: Modesto, CA

subaru super beetle

Postby andym » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:46 pm

I've been working on "project bad idea" in my head for a while.. I wanted a super beetle. Plans are putting a Subaru motor in it, Porsche twists,German look and a lot of other stupid shit.
I picked up this '73 super yesterday from the original owner.. I grew up around the corner from this old man.. When I was 15 I tried to buy the car for my first car.. I was working yesterday and a buddy called me and said the old man wants to sell it.. I left work, went and bought it.. No issues besides the fuel line broke, old man didn't want to remove the gas tank and fix it. Fixed the fuel line and went super beetle driving today.. Still have the window sticker, all the paper work on the car.

Yeah yeah super beetles are gay, stupid, and ugly.. Let me tell you what, it drives just like a bug...at the gas station non-Vw people just see a bug--Weather it's a super or split... And now I've owned both...

Their are a few reasons I wanted a super, the way the spare tire lays down-perfect for a radiator. IRS and struts suspension, a lot of options for that. Not going to be a fast build, just consistent. Twist rims should be getting mocked up this week.




Image
Last edited by andym on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy In Modesto

"You guys need jesus" JJ

User avatar
fidysea
Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:29 am
Location: Danville VA

Postby fidysea » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:03 pm

This is cool you have some history with this car already. I have never understood why people hate on supers so much. I like pretty much all VW's.

I am the same at with motorcycles. I have said if it has 2 wheels and a motor I like it. I even like mopeds.
I have also said that a Yamaha virago was my least favorite bike ever. Well now I want one after seeing all the cool builds people have done on them.

Make it cool to you and enjoy it.
=D>

Slow Steve
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:50 am
Location: Midlothian, VA

Postby Slow Steve » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:36 pm

He'll yeah Andy! Super scoobie? Going with microsquirt? 2.2? This ought to be a cool build.

User avatar
andym
Posts: 3048
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:22 am
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby andym » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:59 pm

2.2 Subaru, yes going with the same stuff you used Steve this time.

Funny thing, right now the passengers seat is on the drivers side...he said the drivers seat was worn out.. He kept it, yeah it's worn out. Just funny he switched them around.

The story is pretty cool with this car... When I get some time to type a bunch of shit I'll do it.
Andy In Modesto

"You guys need jesus" JJ

Slow Steve
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:50 am
Location: Midlothian, VA

Postby Slow Steve » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:16 pm

Cool! Let me know if you have any questions. There seems to be a lot of carp to get it started, but looking back I think I was just hit with the stupid stick. Mine is about to go in the single for hopefully the last time, or at least long enough to drive it for a bit.

Slow Steve
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:50 am
Location: Midlothian, VA

Postby Slow Steve » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:05 pm

If you're thinking about running a subie trans or not. More $$$ compared to getting a Kennedy adapter. Check it:


http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1587281

User avatar
andym
Posts: 3048
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:22 am
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby andym » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Slow Steve wrote:If you're thinking about running a subie trans or not. More $$$ compared to getting a Kennedy adapter. Check it:


http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1587281




I have an adapter right now.. Going that route, I don't really see the need for a 5 speed in a bug, I think a subaru is good enough for now and for my wallet but i was looking at that too!
Andy In Modesto

"You guys need jesus" JJ

User avatar
fidysea
Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:29 am
Location: Danville VA

Postby fidysea » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:52 am

I saw a little on the samba about people cutting the bell housing off, welding it back on 180 flipped and then running the trans upside down.

Maybe it was a VW 1.8 t trans?
They said it worked. Needs extra trans fluid. Cv's are at an extreme angle.

This seems like something You could do easy just to try it out.
Seeing what you did with the 36 flywheel
And the rims and such.
Especially if you have a soobi trans laying around.

User avatar
Franz
Posts: 19896
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:48 pm

Postby Franz » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:40 am

fidysea wrote:I saw a little on the samba about people cutting the bell housing off, welding it back on 180 flipped and then running the trans upside down.

Maybe it was a VW 1.8 t trans?
They said it worked. Needs extra trans fluid. Cv's are at an extreme angle.

This seems like something You could do easy just to try it out.
Seeing what you did with the 36 flywheel
And the rims and such.
Especially if you have a soobi trans laying around.


Where is that thread?? The formula VEE guys used to do that. Always sounded like a good idea to me. Its like a stock engine location transaxle raise.

User avatar
andym
Posts: 3048
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:22 am
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby andym » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:46 am

Wouldn't your shift patteren be reversed?
Stock
1 3
2 4
Flipped
3 1
4 2
Andy In Modesto

"You guys need jesus" JJ

User avatar
mikejoe
Posts: 576
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:27 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Contact:

Postby mikejoe » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:04 pm

I have subie 2.2 in the back of my ghia. I grabbed a transaxle from Rancho, pro street swing axle. I also got the kennedy adapter kit and stage 1 clutch. The car isnt running yet... but soon, so when I can drive it finally ill let you know how all that goes :)

User avatar
fidysea
Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:29 am
Location: Danville VA

Postby fidysea » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:43 pm

Franz wrote:
fidysea wrote:I saw a little on the samba about people cutting the bell housing off, welding it back on 180 flipped and then running the trans upside down.

Maybe it was a VW 1.8 t trans?
They said it worked. Needs extra trans fluid. Cv's are at an extreme angle.

This seems like something You could do easy just to try it out.
Seeing what you did with the 36 flywheel
And the rims and such.
Especially if you have a soobi trans laying around.


Where is that thread?? The formula VEE guys used to do that. Always sounded like a good idea to me. Its like a stock engine location transaxle raise.


It wasn't a whole lot. I remember a pic of a 1.8t and trans on a chain. It may have been in the bay window section
I was probably searching Subaru conversion
I will try to find it

User avatar
fidysea
Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:29 am
Location: Danville VA

Postby fidysea » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:45 pm

AndyM wrote:Wouldn't your shift patteren be reversed?
Stock
1 3
2 4
Flipped
3 1
4 2


I don't know.
I used to wonder if some RHD cars had the H pattern like that.

User avatar
rustabus
Livin' the retired life
Posts: 6126
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:07 am

Postby rustabus » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:32 am

Suba-beetle/ GhiaRu drag in the future?? :-k Smile

User avatar
andym
Posts: 3048
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:22 am
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby andym » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:40 am

Only if your split and Craig's 58 attend the race!! Smile

I've been watching that ghia build..neat build.

Oh yeah I mocked up my rims. 17x7 twist fit all around. The 9's are too wide.
Pictures later!
Andy In Modesto

"You guys need jesus" JJ


Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests