"356 Outcast"... 356 + Audi V8

russell

Postby russell » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:56 pm

x2 on the smaller wheel and no radius' i would just see what you could do with the underside metal when it comes to clearing like a wide 15x8 or 17 or whatever, anything but the outside of the body, however, i do like the hardtop idea

crafty

Postby crafty » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:02 am

I'm diggin' the hardtop look A LOT!!!

I dont have any side glass in mine, can one of you guys check the side glass on yours and tell me if its flat. If it is, its going to make the side glass a load easier in the hardtop conversion. I messed around with a cardboard template of the rear 1/4 glass and it looks like I can "just" get it down inside the rear fender.... an advantage of moving the wheels back.

So... it looks like side scoops are out.... hardtop is in!

I have a plan for the cooling.

Radiator in the front, with hot air ducted into front wheel wells... I'll cut a scoop accross the front valance to let air in at the front.....

For the engine bay.....There's a gap between the sill and the side runners in the floor. I'm going to run a scoop down there on each side and duct air up to the exhaust manifolds, and run bilge fans in the ducts so I can blow air through while its stationary. Similar deal in the centre tunnel to blow air over the front of the engine.

I'll be running an oil cooler for the engine and another for the trans also.

I've been messing around with the engine cover.... I'm going to replicate the curvy hood/fender shapes at the front of the car on the engine cover..... hopefully by the end of the weekend I should have some pics of at least the finished buck.

..... I'm going to siamese 4 exhaust tips together and make an Audi badge shaped exhaust tip... out the centre of the rear valance.

crimson ghost

Postby crimson ghost » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:35 pm

crafty wrote:So... it looks like side scoops are out.... hardtop is in!

I have a plan for the cooling.

Radiator in the front, with hot air ducted into front wheel wells... I'll cut a scoop accross the front valance to let air in at the front.....

I'm keeping an eye out for that as I'm looking for ideas for my Ghia with EJ20k. =;

crafty

Postby crafty » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:33 am

I started messing around with the engine cover today, Im going to make it similar shapes to the front of the car. Its still very much a work in progress, it needs more shaping at the front, its going to dive right down behind the seat... the cente section will emulate the hood of the 356....kinda.

I've got to work out a way to make it removable for servicing the engine.

Also, after messing around with seating positions Ive found that I can move the engine forward another 2 inches, which will help with the driveshaft angles.

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:31 am

very impressive work and great ideas and implementation of such ideas.
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

Radar

Postby Radar » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:55 am

I agree with the guys, tucked and try a smaller size front wheel...great job.

bussmuggler

Postby bussmuggler » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:23 am

Quite a few 356's have had fronts and rears fenders radiused in the past. Emorys did a few and Dink Farmer has built hot rods with bigger fender openings. Looks good with the proper wheels.

I guess the real question is if you want to steer.... Narrowed beams and the tuck came from drag cars. We all know how much and well they steer.

Craig

Postby Craig » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:08 am

I love the technology you've used to build this, but sometimes when someone relies on the technology you loose the finesse and niceties that make the car.

Seeing the curves you are putting into the engine cover, you certainly haven't fallen into the trap. As an engineer I can appreciate a well engineered piece of work but you have taken it further and put some soul into this thing. That takes skills =D>
They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result

crafty

Postby crafty » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:54 am

That side glass isnt going to be easy.

The front window and the rear 1/4 window are not in the same plane, there's a kink at the pillar.... so there'd be a kink in the line of the glass (where the pillar is). I think this would probably look crap, so in order to go pillarless, it'd need custom curved glass and frames for the doors and the 1/4 windows......

anyone had custom curved glass done before?

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:45 am

Some of the high-end street rods use curved tempered glass for the wingows. I don't know much about it....but I'm sure its super $$$. Maybe you should keep it simple and just stick with the side scoop idea.

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:57 am

tempered curved glass is way high dollar and you have top build a template from steel in the exaxt pattern.

On the other hand if you know what your doing and it seems you do you can build you a metal template, since the car cannot be delivered to conneticut just for glass, and there is a custom glass shop that cuts side windows for chopped or custom vehicles from stock vehicle windshields. he finds a windshield for the correct curvature you are looking for and cuts the side glass from a windshield. yes i have seen him in action and yes his work is excellent.
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

slammed and shiny

Postby slammed and shiny » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:34 pm

couldnt you just do plastic instead of glass? it would be lighter... and this is a race car right? it would definitely make it look more like a race car... :-k :-k
Franz wrote:.that late model shit is for late models.
Broken glass and a broken jaw.
Lies are told in a southern drawl.
Poor-house poverty's your schtick.
The real thing would kill you quick.

crafty

Postby crafty » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:39 pm

nah... I have lexan in sides of the Tempest scratches too easily...

Cutting down side glass from something else sounds like the ticket.... for example, a CLK.... you can see from the top shot that its curved.

Ketzer

Postby Ketzer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:14 am

Any updates?

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:07 am

reread my post, you cannot cut down side glasses from something else, they are tempered and will shatter. you have to cut down stock windshields that have the correct curvature.

got any questions PM me

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”