"356 Outcast"... 356 + Audi V8

crafty

"356 Outcast"... 356 + Audi V8

Postby crafty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:49 am

Hi Folks,

Yes, an Audi V8… but first a little introduction. My name is Grant, Im an Australian, living in Hong Kong. I’ve been in Hong Kong for 16 years and have had little opportunity to scratch my car-building itchy spots. I’ve had a few nice rides, but that aint the same as building stuff now is it?

In 2005 I found myself a house with a one car garage, (that is a HUGE ask in Hong Kong) and in 06-07 I built myself an Ultima GTR. It has a 580hp supercharged LS2, Porsche G50 trans, AP racing brakes, etc etc. That certainly got the car building juices flowing.

I also own a 1965 Pontianc Tempest that lives in Chicago. I had it built for last year's Hot Rod Power Tour with the intention of leaving it there so I can come back a few times per year and race it. Its in the November issue of Car Craft and in the coming issue of Hot Rod magazine. You'll also start to see it feature in Tremec ads in magazines etc. It is a "pro-touring" style car, full mandrel bent chassis, coil overs all round, 13.5" Baer Brakes, 550hp LS3/LS7 hybrid, Tremec 5 speed... I had it built by Jeff Schwartz... there's a build page here http://www.schwartzperformance.com/proj ... ojectid=27 he built it in 8 weeks!!! Have a look around his site, he builds some cool stuff, including a 1000hp twin turbo Ultima http://www.schwartzperformance.com/proj ... ojectid=18 I drove that for about 350 miles on Power Tour.. I thought mine with 580hp was fast... 1000-twin-turbo horsepower is in a TOTALLY different league... my power delivery is linear, when his comes on boost its like being hit by a truck. It spins the wheels at 150mph!!

Image Image Image Image

I’ve just managed to find a place with a 6000sqft garden and a TWO car garage!!… so now its time to build something new. The Tempest really is a blast, modern drivetrain in an old style car is awesome. Anyway, it handles like a racecar.… so those thoughts led me to the plan for something unique. A mid engined 356.... its somehow I guess a mix of the Ultima and the Tempest

A few of the Ultima guys use the Audi V8. The engine is very short …the centerline of the axles to the front drive pulley is only 690mm. Compare that to 800mm on a G50 with Porsche flat 6…. Its also very light at only 180kg!

In order to make this work in the 356, I am going to have to move the wheelarches back about 4”, and possibly run a little bit if driveshaft angle. The lengthening of the wheelbase, along with moving the engine in front of the rear axles is going to completely transform the 356. Here’s a before and after photoshop of moving the rear wheel arches back. Im sure I can do this in a way that doesn’t ruin the proportions of the car.

I sent these images to John in an introduction and he tells me the owner is here on this site - I hope you dont mind that Ive used the photos of your car.

Now here’s a photoshop with the Audi engine + trans scaled to the same scale as the body…. it certainly looks like a plan.

I have a construction company here, and we own a Leica Scanstation... so I am going to do a full laser scan inside and out and will have a proper 3D CAD file of the 356, all the surfaces, inside and out. Im going to design the chassis in that CAD model. I'll be glad to provide copies of the CAD files of the body to anyone that wants them.

It will be a full spaceframe chassis, with double wishbones front and rear (similar to the Ultima), and with Air Ride suspension, modern disc brakes, rack and pinion steering.

Ive secured a donor, I decided to get something with the bodywork done so I can focus on the engineering. Its in Texas, currently being crates ready for shipping over to Hong Kong.

Stay tuned folks.

Last edited by crafty on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

exciter
blue & silver

Postby exciter » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:54 am

Holy SHit this place is getting complictae ! =P~
Joe

Sainfest 2012 or bust!!!!!
Daytona 2012 here we come!!!!
slammed 63 og patina!!!!!!!

Anvil
Official judge of posts

Postby Anvil » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:58 am

Welcome. Your best bet will be to search Craigslist or your local Thrifty Nickle to help keep this project on a manageable budget.....

I kid of course.

Wow. 3D Laser scan? Really?

Mark/Luftkraft was heavily involved/built the 356.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. -- H. L. Mencken

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:05 am

CRAZY!

dirie1
'Merica

Postby dirie1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:22 am

I sent these images to John in an introduction and he tells me the owner is here on this site - I hope you dont mind that Ive used the photos of your car.

Actually not the owner of this car but the mastermind behind it. He has built several 356's and for MArk it is all about visual imagery......damn home run!!

Anyhow, your car is going to be pretty cool and keep posting up on your progress. Although maybe not something to fit all ideas of a 356 but it will be BADASS non-the-less =D>

DandK 56'

Postby DandK 56' » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:08 pm

Seeing cars of this caliber being created makes me feel kinda like a moron...Some of you guys do amazing work, while i on the other hand am being driven bonkers by a 36 hp rebuild!

Beauty car...good luck with it

Clive

Postby Clive » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:15 pm

HOLY SHIT !!! That's cool. =D>

mike

Postby mike » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:50 pm

I had seen this on another site. As a hot rodder I love this stuff. Best of luck \:D/ with the project!

lonestar

Postby lonestar » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:10 pm

Crafty...great to have you here.

I'm a big fan of builds that include vintage bodies and modern day motors/suspensions.

Love the "Temptress", Schwartz Performance does some cool customization...I have seen Jeff's work first hand, when he was helping with the creation of the "Poison Dart" with Jimi Day from Imagine Motorsports. Jimi's a friend of mine.

The "356 Outcast" what a great idea.
Is Jeff going to help in anyway with the build of the "356 Outcast"?
Everything has beauty but not everyone can see it.

crafty

Postby crafty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:00 pm

Yeah - Jeff does some cool stuff, but he is not building this one, Im doing this one over here in Hong Kong.

Ive got another Aussie guy (Ray) working for me in Hong Kong that's a master at 3D in CAD, he's going to do the drawing work, to my design. I'm doing the fab work.

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:07 pm

Glad you made it over to the KCW forum, I have been following your thread on the Registry. All I can really say is WOW, what fun it will be to watch progress on this build, I can't wait!!!!! Smile =D> Smile =D>

luftkraft

Postby luftkraft » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:42 pm

Wow, this will be interesting to follow. No worries on using my photographs, that car isn't mine, but I did design and built most of it. I like to see projects like this that are completely unique.....no copying what everbody else is doing then trying to claim some sort of unique ownership of the idea.

I'll be following this build....well done on finding a super clean looking A, it looks like the body has been restored right =D>
-nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

crafty

Postby crafty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:56 pm

Hey Mark,

... I actually have LOADS of photos of that car \:D/ .. it was one of the cars that sparked the idea of doing a 356! VERY nice work mate.

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:49 am

You've gone crazy! Cool project.

crafty

Postby crafty » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:23 pm

rustabus wrote:Glad you made it over to the KCW forum, I have been following your thread on the Registry.

Ive only been on the Registry since 2nd January, and I have already had enough of the politics a rubbish over there. The antics of the last few days with arguments over the term "restoration" is ridiculous.

Life is far too short for that rubbish, I want to read about and support guys building cars, not argue about original vs modified.

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”