Dans Boosted Oval Rag

Franz

Re: Dans Boosted Oval Rag

Postby Franz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:07 am

Guess what I'm doing today? Clutch cable support. I verified with a flashlight and mirror. I could see the stock clutch tube support bracket broken and lifting/flex away from the pan. It let loose on Dan this weekend while he was cruising it. #-o The pedal feels spongy and won't adjust properly. I assumed that the other shop would have done this job while they were installing the 2nd fuel line for fuel injection.

I'll be careful with the grinders and tig welder, I should be able to knock this out fairly easily.

john jones

Postby john jones » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:39 am

this would have been a serious pain in the ass to take care of at home... serious.. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) just finding a guy that would do it on such a nice car is unlikely.. Wink Wink Wink Wink

Thats exactly why I wanted it driven some this weekend.. the one area we did not look into.. inside the pan.... failed us right away... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:22 pm

That blows but at least it happened while it could be fixed at the right place.

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:27 pm

That seriously sucks. But at least it happened in CO so it could be fixed properly
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

Whistlebritches

Postby Whistlebritches » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Are there links to the videos somewhere?

Whoa momma, glad that thing let loose when it did. Gorgeous Oval. Unique for sure.

Blackie
HR

Postby Blackie » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:09 pm

John's insistence that Dan take his Oval to the Colorado National Monument on Saturday paid off big time! Dan commented at our first stop, that he felt he was losing clutch throughout the cruise. I sure am glad that Franz and John were able to uncover the cause and make the fix. I agree that it would be double tough to find a shop that would want to dig in on such a beautiful trimmed out cruiser. I will remember that shake down cruise the rest of my days. The Swiss Lady's comment "that sure doesn't sound like an original motor," was priceless! Thanks Dan for the memories, great build KCW! =D> =D> =D>

OGPaint

Postby OGPaint » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:15 pm

I agree with Franz, I would assume the fuel line shop would have handled this repair/upgrade while working in the tunnel.....and finding competent people to do that fix on a car this nice is tough. Lucky it revealed itself when it did. Another reason why this car is lucky to have found its way to KCW

PeteSC

Postby PeteSC » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:26 pm

Well that sucks....lucky that it's still there. It's hard to fathom someone would take the time to run new fuel lines and NOT reinforce the clutch/accel tubes while in there.

On my own recent clutch woes my first thought was this that I was going to have this same issue....glad it wasn't.
Meh.

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Fixed. I'll put the car back together tomorrow. Check out the video to see what the tube did when it was loose.

https://youtu.be/C_Tsn6LfiNE

dmastro

Postby dmastro » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:25 pm

Franz / John,

So this makes it unanimous now. The old shop literally did nothing right!! Unbelievable. ](*,) ](*,) Absolutely agree, that I am soooo glad KCW came into the picture. \:D/ \:D/ There was no doubt that you guys would figure it out. When I left the shop, I could pick up that John was already trying to process what was going on. :-k :-k

I think I will be saying this for a long time to come, thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Dan M.

dmastro

Postby dmastro » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:29 pm

I forgot to mention that John was spot on about driving it "hard" on Saturday. I can still remember him saying "If there are going to be problems, I want them to happen here in Grand Junction." He crystal balled it! =D> =D>

Blackie
HR

Postby Blackie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:32 am

Dan you got lucky with your Oval and the weather! We had 50 mile an hour winds all day yesterday and the sky was red with Moab dust. Going down this morning to watch the "Surgeon" perform. Great meeting you Dan!

john jones

Postby john jones » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:48 am

Anything on a Volkswagen can be taken care of at KCW.... anything... =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> we are one of the ONLY REAL one stop shops fix and do it all right here... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

scottsain
Bryan Adams

Postby scottsain » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:50 am

dmastro wrote:So this makes it unanimous now. The old shop literally did nothing right!! Unbelievable.

So if you don't mind the question, what did you spend with the first incompetent shop?
VW Drag Night 2017!
July 7-8
Orangeburg Dragstrip, Neeses SC
www.vwdragnight.com
BE HERE! FREE FOOD! FREE DRINKS! FAST CARS! LOOSE WOMEN!
www.facebook.com/VWDragNight

john jones

Postby john jones » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 am

like he's gonna answer that one .... #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o Lets just hope it was a FRACTION of what he spent with me... [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I'm glad it broke here!!!!!!!!!1 Nothings a big deal here... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink we are and especially FRANZ... are Problem solvers... we offer solutions, not excuses... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Return to “KCW completed projects”