Dans Boosted Oval Rag

dmastro

Re: Dans Boosted Oval Rag

Postby dmastro » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:14 pm

Not as much as you would think, <20K. Keep in mind that both my 57 and 65 were stored indoors for almost a decade in his shop. (The cost of putting them in bonafide storage would have been more than what I spent.) Having them indoors was part of my agreement. Although I would have preferred to have them restored sooner, I am so glad it didn't happen. By this time, both would have been non-operational and collecting dust in my garage or worse yet, in storage with me paying monthly. Although I don't always agree with the saying "things happen for a reason", it is so true here!

john jones

Postby john jones » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:15 pm

I can't even tell ya how many cars i have taken on that came from other shops.. I would guess a majority of the vehicles I have done...

You will never hear me say I am the best at any one thing,,,, [-X [-X [-X [-X but I am good at getting em done.... =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Franz got your car back together today.. and drove.. he fixed that turn signal switch and such also... =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I feel like a campfire in the rain.. :-&

scottsain
Bryan Adams

Postby scottsain » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:42 am

dmastro wrote:Not as much as you would think, <20K.

You are correct. I was expecting way more!
VW Drag Night 2017!
July 7-8
Orangeburg Dragstrip, Neeses SC
www.vwdragnight.com
BE HERE! FREE FOOD! FREE DRINKS! FAST CARS! LOOSE WOMEN!
www.facebook.com/VWDragNight

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:47 am

I did some for FI tuning. The cold start should be better. Longer seat belts should be here Friday. Then I think this machine is ready for transport. What do you want to do with all the extra parts? I have 4 pieces of 65 glass and a couple large boxes of stuff we didn't use. Some of it trash.

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:50 am

john jones wrote:Anything on a Volkswagen can be taken care of at KCW.... anything... =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> we are one of the ONLY REAL one stop shops fix and do it all right here... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

True, but I thought you weren't doing anymore cars?

:-k
-Corey

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:57 pm

Just pointing out the facts.... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

dmastro

Postby dmastro » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:20 pm

Glad part of the 65 is already there, that is acceptance of the project, so you guys can restore it!! [-o< [-o<

Kidding aside, Franz, email me on what is leftover and I will let you know my thoughts. Thank you for knocking out the few items that needed fine tuning. =D> =D>

I am working on transportation to bring it home.

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:29 pm

john jones wrote:Just pointing out the facts.... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

What's the plan with the shop? Franz gonna take over while you retire and travel? or just close up and have a badass personal hobby shop?
-Corey

john jones

Postby john jones » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:58 am

Good question Corey.... I dunno just yet... [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( I just know I am ready for a change... :-k :-k :-k :-k and I think my next oppurtunity for change is coming in about 17 months.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

I am hesitant to sell my awesome shop... But would rather see KCW continue on and not just close it.. I would love to see Franz own it grow it and have all the success and more than I had.. =D> =D> =D> =D> But I dunno if Franz and Melissa want that.... and believe me.. taking on something of this magnitude is a joint decision... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink I haven't even asked Melissa if she is ready to be Corporate yet??? Wink Wink Wink Corporate is the "First Lady" of KCW... =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Maybe there is some other young badd ass mother fucker out there that wants to own and run KCW??? :-$ :-$ :-$

People keep telling me to just hire someone to replace me and keep on trucking.... but I am also tired of collecting taxes for the city, paying 941's and workmans comp and 1/4 taxes and garage keepers insurance and matching taxes and all that shit.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) and... well.. I am tired of showing guys all my tricks and talents and tools only to train em for someone else or for themself.. :-" :-" :-" :-" :-" :-"

But in the meantime... I am gonna keep on working, keep on keepin on and keep on camping and not worry too much about it.. Things are soooooooooo smooth around here right now... There is absolutely NO reason to make any changes at the moment. I have an Oval vert, 2 barndoors, one single cab and one westy to do... Then.... My slate is clean... at that point.. well see what I do... But I am not taking on any work till then. Except what may be needed to keep Mr Franz Muhr busy... Wink Wink Wink Wink I don't want Franz to leave too... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

68tintop

Postby 68tintop » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:16 am

Cant beleive it's true. John jones quiting. U ain't quiting. I think it would be a bad move to sell Kcw. Just finish your projects and relax. Take some lessons from rusty on hoarding shit not selling. Take a few years off tour the world in ur Vw bus. But some good project Vws and restore them and sell. I think u should keep Kcw forever. Keep it in the family, franz is family \:D/

PeteSC

Postby PeteSC » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:47 am

Work smarter, not harder. Smile

Add some rate tiers to your "Parkway" work, like $85 for 1st hour, $65 for 2nd hour, $50 for all hours thereafter. Locals won't like reading that (sorry!) but will hopefully understand you need to bring in a little more as your body is forcing you to work less. Tiers wouldn't apply to full on resto work. Might add up a to a couple hundred extra dollars each week on weeks you have several 2-6 hour jobs.

Sitting here on the east coast I'd pay those rates all day if I could drive my Ghia over to Franz and John for a periodic look-over.
Meh.

K Leake

Postby K Leake » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:16 am

Shop rate around here is 90 to work on your modern vehicles.
Kevin

john jones

Postby john jones » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:15 am

I am $60 an hour.. Have been for a long long time... I have considered raising it before.. But as I have gotten slower and older, I am counting on inflation of labor rates to keep me "square"... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink as in.. I know I don't work as fast as I used to... how on earth can I charge more than I used to???? #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k I am more detail oriented than production oriented lately.. Maybe it's the caliber of cars we have been doing? :-k

PS... I like keeping this topic buried as subtopics in other threads.. I don't want to start a thread and talk about it with the whole world... but I do enjoy getting input from the Core group that checks more than 1 thread... :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:02 am

I understand John, much respect to you and KCW family.
-Corey

PeteSC

Postby PeteSC » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:08 am

john jones wrote:I am $60 an hour.. Have been for a long long time...

Don't know why I thought it was $50/hr, but even better - go $95 1st hour, $75 2nd, $60 thereafter on the Parkway side then. Smile Smile Smile
Meh.

Return to “KCW completed projects”