JJ's Baja

john jones

JJ's Baja

Postby john jones » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:23 pm

The long awaited Baja Project.... This is how it showed up.... :-k :-k :-k :-k it just wasn't calling me like it had in pictures... sittin in front of me.. it looks like a SHIT load of work.....

But... The $$ is spent.. now it's MY shit ton of work to do.. soo.. I figured I better get it in this weekend and start doing something with it... First order of business was to get those gay ass tiny tires off of it!!!! And I put the rear cage on itl.. NOW THATS MORE LIKE IT!!!! You can see the potential better now... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

What tranny is this called?
Last edited by john jones on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

john jones

Postby john jones » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:43 pm

SO I starred at it saturday morning... I just couldn't decide were to start... It is a little out of the box for me... anyway... I decided to tear it down.. get to know it.. clean some shit up.. I welded locations on the bottom of the arms in case it matterd where they went.. ground them some.. got it all apart, cut the rear towers off that were no longer needed and just did some general clean up in the rear.. I'll weld all the little holes up.. I hated the way the front corners were finished at the end of the heater channels.. and the channels were rusty... soi I just cut all that shit out and am going to thin plate it to close it back off.. I gotto do something to tie the front of the pan to the front of the "Chassis".. This really is like a chassis car.... I scrapped all the tar board off and beat the pans into place again.. super nice pans....

I need to get some pedals and redo some of the steering.. and maybe mock this tranny up.. Looks like I may be putting a shifter box in to line the hockey stick and shifter back up... :-k :-k I like the idea of hanging pedals.. but thats not what it has.. these go on the floor.. and take up alot of room in a pan car.. and I think I want to do hydraulic clutch on this one.. nothing in the tunnel....

Going to order some stuff tomorrow!

Tires... really want some beadlocks.. and 34x9.5's.. which I think is the tallest and narrowest tire available.. and it's a super swamper.. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:49 pm

That's the monster late model bus trans, 091. Not gonna break that!
Living!

Bret

Re: JJ's Baja

Postby Bret » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:19 pm

john jones wrote:What tranny is this called?

Looks like a 5 rib 002 bay window tranny.

jb

Postby jb » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:23 pm

Yup some call them "6 ribs"

This thing is going to be one serious machine!! That front end is massive!!! =D>

61ragtop

Postby 61ragtop » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:50 pm

I think super swamper makes some tires in 35's and 36's in 9.5 , 10.5. ,and 12.5's I could be wrong but seem like my buddy had some in 36x9.5 or 10.5 . I can't wait to see pictures of this thing in action!

Color? Has to be DOVE BLUE! Dove blue body and paint or powder coat all the tubes, cage, and suspension grey ( commercial colors )
61 Rag top Beetle
70 Baywindow
73 Standard Beetle

splitpile
ninja

Postby splitpile » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:58 pm

It's an 091, if it's the 1975 one it has the killer r/p. If it's virgin the gear ratios will suck.$$$$$ to build a off road 091, usually around 3k or more. Call your trans guy. Hanging pedals are cheaper to buy from a round de round race car shop, NOT an off road place, always use a juice clutch. Most of the little shit empi sells and it's OK. The big $$$$ have been spent, 091 trans (just a core is worth 500), all the coil overs/arms etc and the cage.

I'm sure it's going to be killer. I'd put an ecotech chevy in it. Tons of hp goodies for those, they are cheap and reliable. Dove blue, of course!
Shit load of buses and even more parts

john jones

Postby john jones » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:32 am

Funny you mention ecotech.. Thats what Omar had for it.. Not sure I can make the plunge to a different power plant.. [-X :-k [-( Then I would need a radiator.. and that just sounds crazy!

I heard the tranny is "built".. that it came out of a sand rail with big ol paddles.. I was thinkin about having it gone through and just see what the gearing is.. make sure it's going to be ok with the tall tires I want..

Maybe I will look in speedway for some pedals..

Wren
Hey, KEEVIIN!!!

Postby Wren » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:53 am

John you may want to ask that guy in GJ Dune Buggy Dave about the transmission. I sold him 5 or 6 of those things a couple of years ago. All in good running order if yours does not run right. I had no clue the cores went for $500. He got a hell of a good deal. I thought it was just bay window shit.

Tistlo

Postby Tistlo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:02 am

offroad is tha shit \:D/

how about using pedals from a T3 bus? like 85-90. those have hanging pedals, you get hydraulic clutch, and if you hook up a vakum hose you even get brake servo Smile
it would be wery simple to mount the T3 cluster, you will only need to make a mount. and find a solution to fit a slavecylinder on the transmission
Wer Will der Kann

Omar67

Postby Omar67 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:56 pm

Do work son! =D>
Dry Heat Panzers - Established 2003
https://www.facebook.com/DryHeatPanzers

el arod

Postby el arod » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:00 pm

Out of curiosity, how much does that baja weigh as-is?
alex
"Trailer?" "Those are for boats!"

Knox

Postby Knox » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:25 pm

Tistlo wrote:offroad is tha shit \:D/

how about using pedals from a T3 bus? like 85-90. those have hanging pedals, you get hydraulic clutch, and if you hook up a vakum hose you even get brake servo Smile
it would be wery simple to mount the T3 cluster, you will only need to make a mount. and find a solution to fit a slavecylinder on the transmission

I have a set laying around if you want a picture or two. They are pretty cool.

john jones

Postby john jones » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:24 am

I think I will just use what I have and make new brackets and pivots for the floor stuff to work hanging.. I can make that shit..

john jones

Postby john jones » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:51 am

here's some pics with the two front ends.. Like em both.. Might make em both work!!

going to play baja tonight...

Return to “KCW completed projects”