Rene's 66 beetle

Franz

Rene's 66 beetle

Postby Franz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:39 am

Starting this project today! Now that our electricity has been restored, the shop is up and running again...that means that our air compressors are cranking, the lights are on, the stereo is jamming, the phone is ringing, and the shop cameras are functioning...and most importantly; we're working! Not having electricity for a few days SUCKED. You take stuff like that for granted when you expect it to be there everyday.

Rene is a army guy...I think hes in Iraq right now?! He dropped this car off a few months ago while he was moving across the states. Its a clean car...We should'nt have too much repair work to do before paint prep. Thats a nice break considering the projects that we've had in the shop as of late.

Pictures later. Dirty shop cam action now.

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:48 am

We were just talking...I think we're going to shoot for having this car fininshed by Christmas. YEAH!

DandK 56'

Postby DandK 56' » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:47 am

Rene is a cool guy. We met at the KCW ten year bash. Glad to see him in current projects =D>

66VOLKY

my 66

Postby 66VOLKY » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:26 am

Wow! How exciting!!! First time to the forum and I’m excited to work with KCW on this project. Freaking awesome! To finally see your own bug on the cams getting some love after seeing other people's bugs all these years. I have been dreaming and waiting patiently for my turn. I'm currently not in Iraq. When I dropped my bug off my wife and I had recently returned from Iraq and were enroute to GA to attend various military schools. We are hoping that our next duty station will allow us to be stationary for some time. Constant deployment’s gets old fast! We want to start a family soon. But for now we are both super excited to become part of the KCW family; can’t wait to hear everyone’s thoughts and ideas on this build.

AlanWrench

Postby AlanWrench » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:31 am

Where in GA? I'm right across the river from Fort Gordon in SC.

-Alan

66VOLKY

my 66

Postby 66VOLKY » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:33 am

Im on the other side. I'm at ft gordon.

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:35 am

=D> =D> =D> Clean cars make for a nice, straight forward build!!! So, is this a 65 or 66? Either way, it is a great start to a cool build. I assume you have looked at Bill and Jan's KCW built 65 Beetle? Talk about a clean rig!!!!!!!! Smile

66VOLKY

my 66

Postby 66VOLKY » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:40 am

Its a 66.
I have looked at those builds, awsome!! =D>

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:09 pm

whats the plans for it Rene?
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

AlanWrench

Re: my 66

Postby AlanWrench » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:44 pm

66VOLKY wrote:Im on the other side. I'm at ft gordon.

Sweet! Good to see you're 'local'. At least for now huh?

There are tons of folks from out there at the Fort that end up settling down in the area.

Have you been around to or are in search of any VW yards around here? I know of a few I can direct you to if you are looking for parts or anything.

There is a guy out that way off Tobacco Rd. that popped up recently that has a few bugs and some bay window buses. Another guy out Wrightsboro Rd. that is kinda hard to deal with but has a lot of neat stuff.

Both of those are really close to the Fort.

-Alan

jansjetta

Postby jansjetta » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:15 pm

Welcome Rene. I've been eyeballing your car since it's been at KCW. I've got a thing for the late models and yours is sweet! You won't believe the difference when the KCW gets done with it, it will be a better than new car. Can't wait to see this get started.

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:31 pm

Right on Rene! I'm excited to see a service member get some VW love. I was stationed at Ft. Gordon (disgusta) back in 96. I was at C447, going to signal school. Man all I really remember of that place is this chick I was seeing named Sharu. She was born in Taiwan and had a tattoo just above and to the right of her playground that said "Made in Taiwan"... that and banging some girl with the last name of "bang". The running joke was my friend Yamil was seeing this one girl with the last name of "Mount". So he was getting mounted by mount, and I was banging bang. That, and running Barton field.. Looking forward to see the build.

66VOLKY

my 66

Postby 66VOLKY » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:52 pm

So, here’s the rough idea for the 66.
I bought the bug off the samba in 07 and pretty much rolled it with minor changes until the engine light came on just before my last deployment. I stored it until I came home and had the engine rebuilt by strictly foreign (1776) along with a freeway flyer transmission. I ordered up a set of Awesome Powder coating Scat tins and installed billet countersunk washers and stainless steel bolts wherever I could. I like the blackout look in the engine and tried to hide all wires. I’m sure Franz will clean up what I started. I have never even driven the car with the new engine and trans. I barely had time to get it all installed and loaded on the trailer for the trip to KCW.
The plan is to go RED on RED; Red interior and exterior. I ordered TMI's new Molded Sport Seat interior with a German square weave carpet kit all in red! Just before leaving Ft. Lewis I stumbled onto a 2 fold ragtop clip and picked it up to have john and the guys grafted it on. Other than that it will be all stock body.
Suspension wise, I have been toying around with the idea of going with 17” fuch and possibly bagging it. I like Pip’s idea of narrowing a set of 17x7 to 17x4.5 and I love the stance of his brown split. But I’m not sure! I want to see what john finds once he sandblasts and begins metal work. If he even sandblasts because the body seems to be in good conditions except for the usual rust spots. I will let him decide. If the metal work takes a toll on the budget I will be happy with the current set up; empi polished five spoke with a stock beam narrowed 4”, CB performance drop spindles and all new tie rods, ball joints, etc, etc.

66VOLKY

Postby 66VOLKY » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:53 pm

man
watching the dirty cam is driving me crazy....... I need audio!!!!

66VOLKY

Postby 66VOLKY » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:59 pm

Alan,
agusta is nice. I have found the two VW spot you mentioned. but due to the demands of the schol im in i have not even unpacked my tools. I dont plan on working on any VW's while im here, but you know how that goes.

jansjetta- Thanks Im stoked as well

Slow Steve- LMAO, not much has changed here

Return to “KCW completed projects”