Dan's 59 Single cab

KombiMadness

Re: Dan's 59 Single cab

Postby KombiMadness » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:17 pm

I've decided to call the truck Otto of Hanover, Otto for short...... He's registered now and being driven daily Smile

He didn't pass his Blue Slip inspection first time though, because of a bad oil leak, leaking fuel pump and failing the brake force distribution test. So we had to drop the motor and fix the leak which ended up being the output shaft seal in the bell housing. While we were there we replaced the main seal and flywheel O ring, reseated the alternator stand and put in a new fuel pump. The oil cooler and push rod tubes were not leaking, so we let sleeping dogs lay..... [-o<
Brake force distribution measures the brake force in each wheel, front & back and side to side; the front brakes passed but the difference between the rear wheels, left to right, was more than 30%. So we machined the hubs and made sure the brakes were adjusted as good as possible. Took Otto back to the testing station and all was good \:D/
Here's some pics....... Pick up trucks are called utility vehicles or Ute for short in Australia. I chose phonetic spelling - 'YOOT' - for my licence plates.

The last photo was a trial fit of the new wood slats. Gotta sand and oil them first....

Frustratingly, I now have a charging fault. I was hoping just the external voltage regulator but it's also the alternator. Frustrating because we had the engine out last week when swapping out for a new alternator would've been a piece of cake..... But now the engine is back in

](*,) ](*,)

Such is life with these old Vee Dubs that we love :-"

I'm loving this truck and stoked to own it. Smile
In Oz we call all VW buses - Kombis....
And I've got the Kombi Madness - there is no known cure!

KombiMadness

Postby KombiMadness » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:22 pm

Oh, one more frustrating thing is someone light fingered one of the custom hub caps Dan had hand painted, somewhere during the transport process to Australia. [-X

I asked Dan to take the hub caps off the wheels and put them in the cab before the big truck arrived at his place, which he did Smile

But somewhere along the trip someone wanted a souvenir, I guess. Gonna be hard to color match the paint. Anyone got a single KdF hub cap that I can buy????

Pat K

Postby Pat K » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:11 am

Bummer on the cap... [-X [-X [-X ......Plate looks killer. Did it come those colors?

john jones

Postby john jones » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:52 am

Like seeing pics of this rig.. Glad your loving it.. even though she seems to be giving you a bit of a patience test..!!!

KombiMadness

Postby KombiMadness » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:43 am

Pat K wrote:Bummer on the cap... [-X [-X [-X ......Plate looks killer. Did it come those colors?

The plates were ordered that color, we get a lot of choices in color and style if you pay an extra fee. The red on black was a good match, the red on the plates is pretty close to the sealing wax red on the KdF caps.

KombiMadness

Postby KombiMadness » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:59 am

john jones wrote:Like seeing pics of this rig.. Glad your loving it.. even though she seems to be giving you a bit of a patience test..!!!

Yeah a few teething problems John but I'll get 'em sorted out, no worries.
The YOOT is awesome and the work you guys did is appreciated. This Saturday I've organised a VW cruise down the coast to Christian Otto here down under. They'll be plenty of Aussie Dubs - I'll post up some photos..... Wink

john jones

Postby john jones » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:55 am

Nice.. Like I have said many many times... We get the hard part done.. Sometimes they need some fine tuning after the hard parts over... Wink

Can't wait to see pics...!!!

KombiMadness

Postby KombiMadness » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:18 pm

We had a great cruise down the coast today with around 33 VW's joining in. Stinking hot day though, too freaking hot or Africa hot, as Eddy Murphy says...... It was 35 degrees Celsius, not sure what that is in Fahrenheit but it's hot!
We had a good mix including a beautifully owner restored Aussie '54 BD, a sweet 15 window, an Aussie '61 bus with the twin tail lights that VW only did in Australia and only in 1961 :-$
My mate Klaus' rat split DC, a bay DC, a '54 oval Beetle, a sweet split Westy and plenty more.

And let's not forget this little beauty, the KCW special all the way from Colorado, via Minnesota, California, Pacific Ocean and now in Oz - Otto of Hanover \:D/

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:40 am

I am digging those dual taillights on that 61
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

KombiMadness

Postby KombiMadness » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:13 am

cookiemonster131 wrote:I am digging those dual taillights on that 61

Yeah, they're way cool. Especially since those original orange glass lenses are pretty hard to find these days.

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:40 am

That's a mighty fine collection of VW's you guys are Rollin!! =D> =D> =D>

KombiMadness

Postby KombiMadness » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:34 pm

BTW, you may be thinking, hey Markus is a shit photographer, all those buses are chopped in half..... They are actually full photos but get chopped when posted due to the left hand avatar column. I have the same problem with an Aussie forum DSK (Der Split Konnection) so it must be similar software. My other Aussie forum, Kombi Club, doesn't chop photos......

35 Celsius is 95 Fahrenheit, no cool sea breeze that we normally get. So the VW air cooled engine designed in the 30's got a workout that day. Happy to report no breakdowns but a lot of surprised people pointing at the cool Vee Dubs cruising through their towns at 30mph that day...... Wink

KombiMadness

Postby KombiMadness » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:51 am

Far out! I just read the first 26 pages of this thread again.... Because I'm a glutton for punishment... No, it's awesome!!!! I'm just in awe of the shit load of work you guys did on the metal work on this truck alone! =D>
I mean just those damn gates alone - the amount of straightening, cutting out crusty bits, fabricating hinge supports, etc, etc. The labour you guys just put into the gates; you sure it wouldn't have been cheaper (definitely less painful 8-[ ) to just get the Gerson gates for 2 grand JJ?! Hey, I'm not criticizing, just the opposite! =D>

It's was funny reading the start of the thread again, too. It was Dan's, then it wasn't, up for offers, then JJ took it on, then back to Dan..... #-o Like a friggin' soap opera :-({|=

Seriously, I loved re-reading those 26 pages but now my eyes are red, it's time for bed and I'll come back and finish the next 26 pages another night - pretty cool bed time story!

Took my wife and 18 yo daughter for a cruise today in this truck. Everyone just can't help themselves, they gotta come up and drool and ask about it. Even this one Irish guy asked if it was the 4 x 4 version. Hey, I knew the VW factory would build a customer just about anything back then but I'm pretty sure 4 x 4 wasn't one of them..... :-" I think it was the big BF Goodrich tyres got him thinking, yeah that gotta be a mad off roader, fo sho....

But hey, he was loving the truck so what could I say..... Wink

BBWB

Postby BBWB » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:22 am

Pretty sure VW did do some experimenting with 4WD on the early buses. Maybe for the military, I don't Know. Saw some article on it years ago. I get asked all the time if my '58 is 4WD. Would be cool to say yes. \:D/

This single cab is a nice one. Got to see it finished just around the time I moved to Grand Junction and stayed on the KCW compound. Glad to see it is being used down under.
Let me draw you a fucking picture!

john jones

Postby john jones » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Yeah. this bus changed hands a few times.. but kcw saw it to the end!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> Project completion is what i am good at.. Wink

Return to “KCW completed projects”