Cole's Turkis Camper

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:45 pm

Drill a hole in the linkage arm and connect the spring directly to it eliminating the zip-tie? just a idea. Not sure it'll work.
-Corey

jansjetta

Postby jansjetta » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:38 pm

I agree with Corey, you should get rid of the cable ties. You can buy a package of springs from NAPA or Autozone or O'Reillys. They come 2 or 3 pair in a package and the ends are straight so you can bend them where you want to. Just mess with them until it feels and runs right. I don't have cable ties, but the spring on one side of my carbs rubs the linkage on both my VWs. No big deal, I smear a little grease there when I think about it. I wouldn't go messing with the linkage and bending it and stuff cause you can really screw the throttle shafts on the carbs up doing that unless you take them off, and then you could create a vacuum leak if they're not tightened down just right.

If it's running good, I wouldn't mess with the idle speed screws, but if you want to play with them, get a snake synchronizer first and do some reading on your carbs before you start.

Wren
Hey, KEEVIIN!!!

Postby Wren » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Don't know a lot about the bus Cole. The guy I bought the bus from is into American cars and motorcycle. He had a real cool shop for his hobbies. I know a neighbor of his had the bus and was going to scrape it. It had been in a barn or something like that for some time and he wanted it gone so asked this guy I bought it from if he wanted it.FREE RUST FREE BUS.. Of course since he was a car guy he took it. He wanted to restore the bus and I had made a couple of offers on it with no luck. Anyway he was remodeling his house need some extra cash and called a year or two later. I new Franz was in the market for a bus at the time and he came up and made an offer. I think the next day Franz bought the BD and passed on the bus. So anyway I ended up buying it. Drove it for a while but it always seems like I owe my homeboy John Jones money so John ended up with it. Sorry I know that's not a great story but that's what I know. I think the bus had lived its life here in Gunnison CO for most of its life.

ColeZ

Postby ColeZ » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:12 am

Thanks for the history Wren!

So a side note...I ran up to grab some grub today and the guy in the drive through mentioned that his neighbor has a 23 window up on blocks in his garage. Said the guy has owned it since at least the 70's. Wondering if I should go back and have a chat with the BK manager to find out more. :-k :-k :-k :-k

So I did some messing around with the idle yesterday and checked the jets, they were clean. I definitely did not do the idle any favors. So I decided to take it up to the guys at Always-Vdub this morning. I lowered the idle back down a bit before I left this morn and it ran pretty damn good all the way out there, about 40 minutes away. The gas leaking out of the carbs is still a concern as I do not want to see my bus burn. Ashley (Always Vdub owner) gave me a small lashing for driving it with gas leaking.

These guys pretty much have the best reputation in town, so I'm sure that I will have some good answers when I go pick it up. [-o< [-o< [-o<

I personally am not going to mess with the linkage as there is no way with my skill level I would be able to improve upon what John and Franz have done.

I'll be sure to post up what the guys at Always Vdub say. Oh and I'm finially grabbing a rear emblem from them too. \:D/ \:D/

For a more positive note here are some pictures from around the 4th of July with the memory maker, cause we all love pics!
Being happy is a choice, being in a VW Bus makes that choice easy.

ColeZ

Postby ColeZ » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Got the prognoses from the shop... Gas was leaking from both accelerator pump adjustment nuts on both sides. Which is what I had noticed yesterday when I was checking it out.

Beyond that they checked the valves and did an oil change cause I told them how it was now leaking oil.

They said they found some particles when they cleaned the pan. He thought they might be from the engine's break in period if it had not been cleaned before. I'm pretty sure this is way past it's break in period though, I've probably put 3-5k miles on it just since I've owned it.

All in all they said it's now running good and I'm gonna go grab it in the morning. \:D/ \:D/ $270 later ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

john jones

Postby john jones » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:56 am

ColeZ wrote:Also just noticed a couple more things that differ from the right side to the left. The idle speed screw is turned in substantially more on the right than the left. Also The linkage arms where the zip ties connect are different. The one on the left has bends out providing more clearance than the one on the right. The one on the right does not have the arm providing that clearance which as you can see from the polished looking area where the zip tie rubs. Is that a concern or something that should be made uniform? :-k :-k

Thanks again for the tips folks

don't be hattin on my zip ties... Those zip ties did Shasta baby!!! [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X
I feel like a campfire in the rain.. :-&

ColeZ

Postby ColeZ » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:21 am

don't be hattin on my zip ties... Those zip ties did Shasta baby!!! [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X[/quote]

I'm not hatin on the zip ties...I've got bags and bags of zip ties of every size and color. I'd say zip ties rank right up there with duck tape as far as a good thing to have around. :-$ Smile

I was actually more concerned about the bracket's not being the same and if that was just happenstance or for a reason.

john jones

Postby john jones » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:21 am

glad you got it fixed... I assume you meant it was leaking from the acc pump.... leaking gas and volkswagens is no bueno!

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:23 am

john jones wrote:
don't be hattin on my zip ties...

Deep down I knew you were a minitrucker. Smile
-Corey

Tyzel

Postby Tyzel » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:30 am

Hey what's up Cole? hows the bus running? any new pics?

john jones

Postby john jones » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:29 am

I was just wondering about Cole the other day.. He was all over the site for awhile.. but he hasn't peeped a sound in awhile.... I hope the Turkis bus is still running strong!

Remember I sold this bus to buy a dually.. the white short bed that ended up not being done... :-k :-k Didn't work out that time.. and do not remember why now.... But I built a Baja and sold it.. and then got a dually... a different white short bed...

ColeZ

Postby ColeZ » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:36 pm

Hey guys it's definitely been a while since I've posted up. Life got a little crazy for a while. I'm happy to say that the Turkish is still running strong! I finally finished all the dynamat and it definitely made a substantial difference. However wifey still thinks it's loud, I then remind her it's 50 yrs old.

Most of my photos are. Stuck on a hard drive in an iPhoto format which I can't currently access because I don't have my Mac anymore. But I do have a few here to post up.

ColeZ

Postby ColeZ » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:18 pm

It is sad for me to say, but it's looking like there is a good chance that the Turkis might have to go up for sale. ](*,) ](*,) I haven't made the decision for certain yet as it is not one that I want to make. But I was laid off from work back in December and here we are approaching April and I still am not back to work so I may be forced to sell it. I hope not, but it's looking like I most likely will. Keep you posted.

DaKine

Postby DaKine » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:17 pm

ColeZ wrote:It is sad for me to say, but it's looking like there is a good chance that the Turkis might have to go up for sale. ](*,) ](*,) I haven't made the decision for certain yet as it is not one that I want to make. But I was laid off from work back in December and here we are approaching April and I still am not back to work so I may be forced to sell it. I hope not, but it's looking like I most likely will. Keep you posted.

Man that sucks brother ](*,) , I hope things work out for you on the job front....
-Jon

Señor Ryan D wrote:I MAKE YOGART TO THIS!!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/16806035

john jones

Postby john jones » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:26 am

That sucks big ol oregon balls....

It's going to be hard to replace that bus bro.... Promise you that..

Return to “KCW completed projects”