Toms/JJ's/Will's 2 fold

willmoss

Re: Toms/JJ's/Will's 2 fold

Postby willmoss » Sun May 21, 2017 8:41 pm

I have been, and it sure does love all this thick cool air!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Was just cruising it up the 5 though headed to Santa Monica and all of a sudden I heard lots of metal on metal grinding and crunching. :-k

I know the fulcrum plates get nosisy when they wear out but this sounded more like a failure... rolling it back and forth I can hear lots of crunching and things breaking and I'm starting to suspect something broke inside the rear drums... not sure yet.... [-o< [-o< :-k :-k :-k :-k
fuckin willy

andym

Postby andym » Mon May 22, 2017 6:37 am

Dam that sucks!! What shop in ca can you take over so you can fix it? Smile

IRS is a million times better! Rides better, handles better, and no more transaxle issues.
Andy In Modesto

Maybe Subaru parts could fix it?

BBWB

Postby BBWB » Mon May 22, 2017 6:45 am

^^^ Old Speed.
Let me draw you a fucking picture!

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon May 22, 2017 7:13 am

Trade it to Mike for the Porsche. He can bring it back here to have me fix it.

willmoss

Postby willmoss » Mon May 22, 2017 8:26 am

Yeah right. Mike is going to need to give us more than that Porsche to get this from me [-X

I would also be lying if I said I haven't taken over Old Speed to fix one one of my cars before :-# :-#
fuckin willy

john jones

Postby john jones » Mon May 22, 2017 11:01 am

your power to camber ratio is off.... sorry kid... learning leson's like this suck the balls... #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o I changed axles in my deluxe 3 or 4 times while I owned it.. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$

I was talking to someone a few weeks ago... and they thought that having a 4 spider gear diff made the axles and fulcrums end up running dry.. and getting hot and fucking shit up.. :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k I would replace it with a regular spider diff.. 2 gear...

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon May 22, 2017 11:09 am

Probably some stiffer torsion bars to prevent it from squatting under power.

willmoss

Postby willmoss » Mon May 22, 2017 12:03 pm

I'm still hoping it's the brakes because the handbrake stopped working after it happened and it sounded like the stuff in the drums was messed up... I hope that's all [-o< [-o<
fuckin willy

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:42 pm

john jones wrote:your power to camber ratio is off.... sorry kid... learning leson's like this suck the balls... #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o I changed axles in my deluxe 3 or 4 times while I owned it.. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$

I was talking to someone a few weeks ago... and they thought that having a 4 spider gear diff made the axles and fulcrums end up running dry.. and getting hot and fucking shit up.. :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k I would replace it with a regular spider diff.. 2 gear...

JJ that was me, at Andy's. Fuck having a super-diff swing axle car for daily/freeway use. It's a ticking time bomb, not "if" but "when" it'll dry up on you. Forget about any extended freeway time. Keep it around town, stop & go, sure it'll be fine.
Go with a stock two spider open diff and semi-easy starts, or go IRS and forget about it!
Last edited by Critter1 on Mon May 22, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin

Franz wrote:Fine, I'll fucking change it.

BBWB

Postby BBWB » Mon May 22, 2017 3:40 pm

My super diff in the irs with a subi behind it is proving reliable so far. Trip to Havasu this year and almost daily driving haven't had an issue. Swing axles aren't a good match.
Let me draw you a fucking picture!

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Super diffs with IRS are fine, no fulcrums to deal with and dry up.
Justin

PeteSC

Postby PeteSC » Mon May 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Critter1 wrote:
john jones wrote:your power to camber ratio is off.... sorry kid... learning leson's like this suck the balls... #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o I changed axles in my deluxe 3 or 4 times while I owned it.. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$

That was me JJ, at Andy's. Fuck having a super-diff swing axle car for daily/freeway use. It's a ticking time bomb, not "if" but "when" it'll dry up on you. Forget about any extended freeway time. Keep it around town, stop & go, sure it'll be fine.
Go with a stock two spider open diff and semi-easy starts, or go IRS and forget about it!

A lot of work, but I thought this was a neat mod:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... &start=920
Meh.

willmoss

Postby willmoss » Mon May 22, 2017 5:09 pm

Well luckily I'm not to that point yet... It did end up being a brake issue. I guess I didn't realize the lugs were different lengths front to rear and the ones in the back were too long?

Apparently the lugs ripped up the brake shoes, master cylinder, springs, and the handbrake cables. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
fuckin willy

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Will if you do have a super-diff in there.... just avoid extended freeway drives over 55mph. Sounds fun yeah?
Justin

glenn_moss

Postby glenn_moss » Mon May 22, 2017 11:44 pm

willmoss wrote:I guess I didn't realize the lugs were different lengths front to rear and the ones in the back were too long?

Apparently the lugs ripped up the brake shoes, master cylinder, springs, and the handbrake cables. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Why am I having deja vu... #-o #-o #-o

Return to “KCW completed projects”