Kelly's Barndoor! assy phase!!!!!!!

AKA The Thursday Club.
lonestar

Kelly's Barndoor! assy phase!!!!!!!

Postby lonestar » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:49 pm

Anyone up north know about this bus???

Also anyone know how diffficult it is to bring a car over the border and what it all entails?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1043245
Last edited by lonestar on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:01 am

I bet this guy is getting pretty overwelmed with emails. thats a rad bus. and surprizingly complete and solid! look at that cargo floor. and the roof is no worse then the tomtom bd

Hope it ends up at kcw. its worth it. wonder if he has any of the 16's
Last edited by Jobe on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big belly Hoes

Franz

Postby Franz » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:37 am

I bet that bus would clean up nice. It probably looks worse than it actually is.

Radar

Postby Radar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:28 am

I not intereted in buying it, but what do you think it is worth, as it sits?

jasonvw
Intern #2

Postby jasonvw » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:59 am

Kelly, its not so much the bus, as it is the parts... The metal can be fixed, the body can be made nice again, but its the parts that will make that bus and as you can see, it has NO parts. If you are not concerned with being "correct" on parts you could just throw some seats in there and roll it, but if you want to do it right, you will have a mountain of cash wrapped up in getting parts, IF you can find them. tail lights, reflectors, headlights, 6 leg middle seat, BD only rear seat, steering wheel, etc, the list goes on. BD's take specific parts, some of which are very hard to find. All that said, Yes, its a BD and its rare, and its worth the effort. Value is up to you. whats a shell worth? its more than $5000, maybe more than $10,000, it all depends on your mindset. It not really about the price, its more about, do you want to get involved because you don't get to pick and choose with Barndoors.... If you really want to get a Barndoor, and you just want to do a freestyle build on it, that might be a good place to start since there is nothing more than a Cadaver to start with, and you can do whatever you want with it. Importing from Canada is not hard. Shipping is easy too. PM me if you want details.
Dead Air Garage

Franz

Postby Franz » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:13 am

Many kombis didn't have middle or rear seats...so no worry there. Looks like its missing some lights...but all of the doors, door parts, beam, part of the front seat ect ect is there. Its a good start on a BD.

The good news is that what is there is probably original. Its been sitting so long that nobody "fixed it up" and put a bunch of late model stuff on it.

lonestar

Postby lonestar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:35 am

Jason...PM sent

sled
ninja

Postby sled » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:53 am

ive pulled three buses across the border and it TOTALLY depends on who happens to be at the booth when you drive through. Had a guy wave me through once without even looking at the bus, and another time I was pulled aside and held for 2-1/2 hours answering crazy questions and filling out paperwork. Make SURE you say you are using it for parts to fix another vehicle and make SURE it has no engine. Its a big gamble.

Jason is right, you will have just as much money sourcing parts as you will fixing it.

I believe all BD kombi's came with a full row of seats, volkswagen didnt drop the seats till later.
to each his own

splitpile
ninja

Postby splitpile » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:29 am

I built one BD that started as a shell, the RHD DD 23 window and am doing a BONE STOCK one now. Both started as just shells, the custom ( custom beam, steering, disc brakes, killer trans, big HP engine, etc.) has a lot less money in it then the bone stock one will and I'm sure will get more looks and be enjoyed more then the bone stock one.

I found the custom BD was easier to do then a regular bus, just a lot simpler of a bus overall to do.

If not anal nearly perfect repo parts are available for the BD and many more on the way.

Kelly, go for it, JJ and the KCW crew could build you one simple Bad Ass bus. Getting it here form Canada isn't that hard. I know people up there that might help out.

Bug, bus, ghia, notch, the dollars are all about the same when said and done.

Just think how cool it would be to tow the pre a to the track behind a BD from the same era, talk about the cool factor :-k
Shit load of buses and even more parts

lonestar

Postby lonestar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:48 am

Have made an offer...Lets see what happens... Smile

dirie1
'Merica

Postby dirie1 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:05 am

Kelly, Bringing stuff across the border is not that big of a deal. Done it many, many times. Just be sure that you have all the paperwork before you show up at the border and send copies ahead of time. They will confirm stamp all papers and you will be on your way.......

Bardoor pulling a PreA...Baller status++

Good luck with it

Blackie
HR

Postby Blackie » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:15 am

Ditto on the "Baller Status"!!!! Great Dove Blue Combo!

ricks916

Postby ricks916 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:49 am

I think this bus should be featured on the TV show "I shouldn't be alive!"

jeremy

Postby jeremy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:55 am

That bus is up in my part of the woods. Well sort of. It's in BC but still a 10 hour drive from where I live. I think Franz is right. It looks worse than it is. Doesn't look super rusty.

jeremy

Postby jeremy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:00 am

Its been mentioned locally. Looks like it is going to California. (Second to last post here)

http://www.airspeedparts.com/forums/ind ... ic=18186.0

Return to “KCW current projects”